Trouble with King headset bind please help!

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seen poor cut steerers or star nut insertion not square inside tube

Thus uneven preload on bearings
Space it out above the cut and will be the same a proper cut wouldnt it, Unless the top cup is not even

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
Its might be a crown race caused problem. Just check how close the upper crown of your forks has a lot of room to move around without rubbing on the lower HS cup

kv1973

Likes Dirt
Its might be a crown race caused problem. Just check how close the upper crown of your forks has a lot of room to move around without rubbing on the lower HS cup
Agreed - last time I had headset seizing as per this thread was that I changed the headset but not the crown race on the fork. The two had different angles so they did not gel together. Whenever I screw the top cap slightly it would seize.

Pullstarter

Likes Bikes
What fork is this on and in what condition is the steerer/crown?, I've had issues with king headsets and a slightly bent steerer. The High accuracy of the king works against any missalignment issues here. I ended up using a different lower race, FSA Pig, uses massive 1/4 balls no more issues just a bit jipped i only run half my king.
It's on a Kinesis XLT fork, brand new. I will recheck the star nut depth/straightness when I get a chance.

EMF

Eats Squid
Star nut correct insertion method

Space it out above the cut and will be the same a proper cut wouldnt it, Unless the top cup is not even
Not if the star nut was installed with the Star nut special tool and the steerer was cut incorrectly.

When the star nut is hammered into its correct depth, the surface of the steerer tube must be square and flush to the tool when it bottoms out ..if not, the star nut will be angled thus when tightened will cause same problem

piggy pie

Likes Bikes
Note to self: never buy anything second hand off either of these two idiots.
yeah mate, never had a headset f up on me; and be f ed if i would pay a shop to do what a piece of wood can do for free. believe it or not parts on a bike should be fairly strong, never stuffed a headset up with the trusty wood.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are going to bodge it up, at least use a vice with some soft jaws to ensure it goes in straight and do it one cup at a time. It's quicker and easier than beating on it with a lump of 2x4 in between.