Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

LPG

likes thicc birds
Yes.
That's the exact problem I have been talking about for years now. People have lost the ability to discuss matters, and you take a tone that is "well if you don't get it, I'm not going to explain it to you" and it does nothing but ostracise people!!! I know you're making a comedic point, and it's funny. But on a serious note it is, in my eyes, it's also one of the cornerstones of a much more profound problem.

Talking to people like they should know better and not giving any reason why a misconception to be discarded does NOTHING to further the understanding of a subject. Hitchen's Razor everything, for your own sake as well, because it makes you look into why you hold things to be the way they are and the reasoning that got you there.

I mean, this is a perfect example. My misconception was pulled apart in <2mins with a quick single word search and read. What's it say that nobody could be bothered just backing up what they were saying and ripping that out by the roots in the first place? You think you're doing anyone a favour by assuming it's plainly obvious?
Well, then you probably will be equally happy to hear that all right wing politics and media are bad for the human race and the planet earth and should be punished, ignored or both. Now you know we should all be able to get back on track to discussing politics.

stirk

Burner
I come to this thread to catch up on Trump shenanigans and just see zaf getting attacked because maybe he wore a MAGA hat.

Can we get back to the Trump topic because it's so funny to every non American.

@Zaf take your holiday, make it Trumpian. "It was a great holiday from Rotorburn, truly great. It was 6 days, no 6 weeks or maybe 6 months, looked like 6 months, but it was great. The biggest holiday anyone has ever had. If it was 6 days or 6 months it was the BIGGEST."

moorey

call me Mia
More what, no why.
Just conjecture that needs to be accepted without justification.
One of my supervisers gave me and a few others in training an amazing peice of advice; "Whatever you do, imagine yourself justifying the behaviour to a review board or in court." Now admittedly it was more in regards to navigating complicated ethical/legal deadlocks that can occur in healthcare, but the logic has a good application to more than that. Intellectual honesty is one of them. And it's odd that you guys hold everything I say to a standard you don't adhere to yourself.
Again with editing every post you make? Smells like intellectual dishonesty.

LPG

likes thicc birds
More what, no why.
One of my supervisers gave me and a few others in training an amazing peice of advice; "Whatever you do, imagine yourself justifying the behaviour to a review board or in court." Now admittedly it was more in regards to navigating complicated ethical/legal deadlocks that can occur in healthcare, but the logic has a good application to more than that. Intellectual honesty is one of them. And it's odd that you guys hold everything I say to a standard you don't adhere to yourself.
I saw how quickly you accepted that before and thought it was worth pushing a bit. Maybe you were uneducated about right wing politics ignoring facts ;)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
More what, no why.
Jesus fucking Christ! If you must continue to workshop your political discourse and unpack why no one understands you start a new thread. We love you, we support you, we will travel this journey together in a special mystic web of social and political pontification that will make Nerfonomics look like a Fisher Price catalogue. Promise. But enough of this shit here - some of us actually want to point, laugh and overload our schadenfreude glands as the Trump Train derails into an ocean of raw sewerage and / or weep with relief that this nightmare is finally fucking over. Respect that or piss off.

moorey

call me Mia
Enjoy your celebrations. May they be everything you wished for and more.
No one is expecting joy from a Biden presidency. I hope to be bored shitless by him. I’m looking forward to the presidents every move/word not being constantly in the headlines.
I’d almost like nothing more than to not hear his name for 12 months.

I’d also like the Senate though, so he can waste the opportunity to do some good on milquetoast policies and trying to work with the republicans.

Not expecting many celebrations. But at least he’s not Trump, and taking backward diplomatic, social, racial and environmental steps.

glenn1529

Likes Dirt
Why do you guys always have to attack the man?! I know my arguments are upsetting but I'm pretty sure the only person I've been outright insulting to the person with is Oddjob (and even then I prefaced it with why I felt I was justified in saying it), but I'm usually pretty good at keeping it to the what's been said, not WHO YOU ARE.
I own three bikes, all being ridden.
My partner is 37+2 with first child.
Full time student in exam period
@Zaf you might be good at words but yore maths is rubbish.
your partner is 39, I can show working if required.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I thought he was going to announce conceding....or maybe covid news....but a 90 second presser, only concerned about the stock market...
Low energy individual...
Lol what an absolute load of shit.

• Tell all those millions of Americans currently in bread lines how well the stock market is doing, such a good reflector of the economy
  • The stock market is rallying at that precise point you "authorised" transition to begin aka financial markets are happy to see the back of you you dumb fuck

I think at this point even Reagan was more in tune with reality and he used horoscopes to dictate his strategies.

moorey

call me Mia
Lol what an absolute load of shit.

• Tell all those millions of Americans currently in bread lines how well the stock market is doing, such a good reflector of the economy
  • The stock market is rallying at that precise point you "authorised" transition to begin aka financial markets are happy to see the back of you you dumb fuck
I think at this point even Reagan was more in tune with reality and he used horoscopes to dictate his strategies.
Nailed it on both. Joe lunch pail benefits from a stock market boom boom about as much as from trickle down. The market absolutely responded positively to the transition news and the prospect of Trump fucking right off.

moorey

call me Mia
He's also lost support from Tucker and Laura at Fox....If Hannity jumps ship there will be a tirade about FOX being RINO and those 'never trump' losers that have terrible ratings.