Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Yep. Doesn’t matter that Trump has said/done a lot worse, they will crucify him for not just his gaffs, but his actual record. Anyone remember him Charing the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill heading/investigation leading up to his appointment? I guarantee that will be bought up by the GOP, even if it was the GOP doing the damage.
Trump has proven you can get away with murder if you are charismatic enough to the right amount of morons. That's also Joe Biden's strongest hand and the whole reason why Trump has been scared shitless of him from the start (hence Ukraine etc.) Biden's track record doesn't matter because he doesn't portray himself as a paragon of virtue. He's 'loveable old rogue Joe with the wandering hands. He doesn't scare off moderate republicans and swing voters whereas Bernie does. He is Corbyn mk2 and he's even managed to emulate Corbyn in finding an influential minority to blatantly snub too ( in this case Black voters)

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I'll also add that the Bernie Bros are actively turning away other voters and he's not doing enough to keep them in check. For example have you ever noticed that when things are going well for Bernie it's always a 'Revolution' and a 'Movement' but as soon as things go awry it's a 'Conspiracy'?

They're like the left's own version of the 'Trumpists'

moorey

call me Mia
Trump has proven you can get away with murder if you are charismatic enough to the right amount of morons. That's also Joe Biden's strongest hand and the whole reason why Trump has been scared shitless of him from the start (hence Ukraine etc.) Biden's track record doesn't matter because he doesn't portray himself as a paragon of virtue. He's 'loveable old rogue Joe with the wandering hands. He doesn't scare off moderate republicans and swing voters whereas Bernie does. He is Corbyn mk2 and he's even managed to emulate Corbyn in finding an influential minority to blatantly snub too ( in this case Black voters)
Agree to disagree. Totally unelectable...for the umpteenth time.
I’m riding a 29” if Joe is the nominee, it seems.

He’s not the nominee yet though.

moorey

call me Mia
I'll also add that the Bernie Bros are actively turning away other voters and he's not doing enough to keep them in check. For example have you ever noticed that when things are going well for Bernie it's always a 'Revolution' and a 'Movement' but as soon as things go awry it's a 'Conspiracy'?

This, I unfortunately agree with. Bernie has distanced him from this 1000 times, and asked it to cease, but neither they, or the media listen.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

Yeah, wow. I went down the rabbit hole on Bernie Bros the other day and was thoroughly dismayed.

Read a book written by a mate on China's New Red Guard - which is the movement in China to bring back Maoism, the Cultural Revolution and all that silly shit. The parallels between the Trumpist right, Bernie Bros and the new red guard are unbelievable. They are nationalistic, conspiracy believing, base their beliefs on annecdotal evidence over science and rigorous thought, respond with anger and aggression, ad homeneim to hell and back, etc. etc.

It's all the same movement of arrogance, mixed with internet anger with a dash of Dunning Kruger. I really wish I knew more about the 1930s as I'd love to look at the parallels in terms of social behaviour, the rise of print media, nationalism and industrialism alongside the internet, globalisation and modern day nationalism. There may be no comparison, I have no idea. Seems like an interesting question though.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Yeah, wow. I went down the rabbit hole on Bernie Bros the other day and was thoroughly dismayed.

Read a book written by a mate on China's New Red Guard - which is the movement in China to bring back Maoism, the Cultural Revolution and all that silly shit. The parallels between the Trumpist right, Bernie Bros and the new red guard are unbelievable. They are nationalistic, conspiracy believing, base their beliefs on annecdotal evidence over science and rigorous thought, respond with anger and aggression, ad homeneim to hell and back, etc. etc.

It's all the same movement of arrogance, mixed with internet anger with a dash of Dunning Kruger. I really wish I knew more about the 1930s as I'd love to look at the parallels in terms of social behaviour, the rise of print media, nationalism and industrialism alongside the internet, globalisation and modern day nationalism. There may be no comparison, I have no idea. Seems like an interesting question though.
With the Trumpists and Bernie Bros I dare say there's a side-helping of malevolence thrown in there as well. Whether it's immature anime-avatar sporting immature boys doing it for 'the lulz' or state sponsored bot-farms trying to sow division the effect is the same.

I don't really know about the Chinese side of things but I have noticed that whenever the comments section is open on any Fairfax articles to do with Chinese politics or foreign policy, there's often a presence of some very passionate commenters ready to defend China to the hilt which doesn't strike me as being typical of the The Age and the SMH's usual readers.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
With the Trumpists and Bernie Bros I dare say there's a side-helping of malevolence thrown in there as well. Whether it's immature anime-avatar sporting immature boys doing it for 'the lulz' or state sponsored bot-farms trying to sow division the effect is the same.

I don't really know about the Chinese side of things but I have noticed that whenever the comments section is open on any Fairfax articles to do with Chinese politics or foreign policy, there's often a presence of some very passionate commenters ready to defend China to the hilt which doesn't strike me as being typical of the The Age and the SMH's usual readers.
You'd be surprised how many hard line Mao loving red book waving people there is in Sydney. Some days traffic is dragged to a complete halt in all directions on all roads for the parade in honour of the dear leader. Look at the massive government infrastructure spend under our current premiere, she must be quite a Mao fan.

Or more likely a follower of the later era modern style of fascists-communist hybrid where the government builds and hands it off quietly to private hands. A method pioneered during the dismantling of the USSR.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

The CCP employs people to get involved in online conversations - they're called the Wumao brigade. The name comes from the claim that they are paid 50c per positive post about China and 50c in Chinese is Wumao. The CCP is also following in the Kremlin's footsteps (as are many, many orgs) in guiding online debate and opinion through non-authentic activity, such as bots, sock puppets, influencers, etc. So, no doubt that those commenting on the articles are not genuine.

I stopped myself from reading the comments on news-type articles for news website, youtube and similar spaces a while back. All they did was piss me off and make me angry at what, for all intents and purposes, are fictional characters in my life. I've also recently pulled myself back from 'arguing' points on forums like this - hence me not engaging with people in this thread that say that COVID-19 is no worse than the average cold. It's because good faith discussions are not easy to come by online - they still exist, such as the discussion with @k3n!f and @rowdyflat in that same thread. But I found the majority of the time I wasn't changing minds, I wasn't learning anything and I was spending time in a non-productive manner. Getting pissed off and looking at yourself in juxtaposition with some one you disagree with is never healthy. I used to disagree with @Haakon pretty vehemently, but as usual, when I met him in real life he's a decent and respectable chap. Better I spend my time just thinking of folk like that, calming myself, being productive and posting pointless TL;DRs like this!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches

It's been a weak field and he's far from perfect but it looks like it's going to be a Trump Biden showdown in November*

*provided Trump doesn't postpone the election indefinitely on a COVID excuse

moorey

call me Mia

It's been a weak field and he's far from perfect but it looks like it's going to be a Trump Biden showdown in November*

*provided Trump doesn't postpone the election indefinitely on a COVID excuse
Far from a weak field...though there were some very weak candidates and a few disappointing changes in policy.

moorey

call me Mia
The Democratic establishment benefits far more from Trump than a Sanders administration. Mission accomplished.