Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Trump is doing a rally (even though there's no elections coming) somewhere in the US. He posted a picture of big crowds outside the stadium all over the footpath and such, saying "thanks for everyone for showing up, huge crowd and long waits to get in...., etc."

Only problem is that the "huge crowds" he posted weren't people lining up to get in but people protesting his presence.

#fuckingmoron

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"Sometimes we need to take children from their illegal immigrant families" (Paraphrased)
Whispers: "Mr Trump, that will cost you votes, look at the public opinion"
Signs presidential thingy.

Spineless, backflipping moron.

moorey

call me Mia
Trump is doing a rally (even though there's no elections coming) somewhere in the US. He posted a picture of big crowds outside the stadium all over the footpath and such, saying "thanks for everyone for showing up, huge crowd and long waits to get in...., etc."

Only problem is that the "huge crowds" he posted weren't people lining up to get in but people protesting his presence.

#fuckingmoron
Fake News!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
His twitter feed can be pretty funny (setting aside the childish and ugly political polarisation over there), there are some great memes that get posted.

moorey

call me Mia
His twitter feed can be pretty funny (setting aside the childish and ugly political polarisation over there), there are some great memes that get posted.
Yeah, and I’m genuinely yet to read one truly coherent or factually correct one.
I think his proven lie/misinformation count since taking office is approaching 4000 verified.
Impressive effort, really.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Oh yeah, I subscribe for comedy value and to be able to pre-empt what I'm likely to see in the news.

I also subscribe to a lot of people I don't respect or agree with in a deliberate attempt to not put myself in an echo chamber.

*Edit - you know that when you do read a coherent tweet (they do occur from time to time) that it was posted by his legal team. They usually do not have fully capitalised sentences, repeated exclamation marks and nor do they end in words like "sad", "Fake News", MAGA, etc.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Fuck all difference, we can't be throwing too many stones at the Americans- people in glass houses and all that.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
wasn't the law about separating kids from their parents who entered illegally introduced under Clinton or somewhere around the 90s?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
There is no law about separating kids from their parents.

It was a recent policy introduced by the Trump administration.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
All his satirical commentary is good, but this particularly so:

Yeah he is quite brilliant at times. I often watch the start of his show at work, between graveyard shifts. There's lots of people taking the piss outta Trump but Colbert is one of the best IMO.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
He has a razor whit and plenty of button pushing cred from the Colbert Report days.

Anyone else watch kimmel vs cruze basketball game?

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
This recent policy of removing kids is pretty grim, especially the talk of loosing them. That has a high risk of kids falling into a life of exploitation.

Our behavouir here is quite similar. It is appalling and I can't believe it continue. Do you think there is a similar level of approval:disapproval on the behaviours here and America?

John U

MTB Precision
This recent policy of removing kids is pretty grim, especially the talk of loosing them. That has a high risk of kids falling into a life of exploitation.

Our behavouir here is quite similar. It is appalling and I can't believe it continue. Do you think there is a similar level of approval:disapproval on the behaviours here and America?
We’ve been doing very similar things for over 10 years. No outrage here, very poor coverage, govt completely shut down the flow of information.
Trumps policy lasted about a week. I believe the outrage was coming from all sides, and was widely broadcast. Australia doesn’t hold up well in comparison.

Is losing kids worse than holding them in circumstances where they are abused, where 10 year olds attempt suicide?

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
We’ve been doing very similar things for over 10 years. No outrage here, very poor coverage, govt completely shut down the flow of information.
Trumps policy lasted about a week. I believe the outrage was coming from all sides, and was widely broadcast. Australia doesn’t hold up well in comparison.

Is losing kids worse than holding them in circumstances where they are abused, where 10 year olds attempt suicide?
Certainly a big difference in how much the media have been able to access the stories.
Did you know that in 2013 the cost of a journalist visa to Nauru went up suddenly to around $8k..!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
We are bad people. I've been a touch removed from news flow recently (the mix of depressing + mundane + trivial distraction was a bit much), but I did recently see something talking about how some European nations are taking inspiration from our internment and torture regime.

This has approach has gone on for a long time now and seems that opposition to it has dwindled. Are we that callous as a nation? I'm not saying open borders is the solution (though I'm pretty easy going about that too) but a human process executed in a timely manner is something we could strive for isn't it?

Interestingly, the stats being claimed about the Trump family separation policy was around 70% disapproval. That's pretty big given the dominance anti immigration/refugee debate had on his election.

Last edited: