Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

Binaural

Eats Squid
I'd like to imagine he doesn't run.
He's already running, he submitted the paperwork at his inauguration. He has little choice but to stall for time given his numerous legal exposures, and being president is literally the only reliable protection he has from criminal prosecution for various state and federal crimes.

@Zaf - he is deep underwater in states he has to win to put together a similar coalition to his first run. His dismal overall popularity is one thing, but more important is whether he has a path to the presidency via the electoral college, and his constant pandering to his base is hurting his chances severely.

Binaural

Eats Squid
@Zaf, FiveThirtyEight gave him a 30% chance, and they are widely considered the people to beat in estimating American political results (it's a good site). The same people are pointing out that the coalition that swept Trump to power has virtually dissipated. There's a reason so many Democrats are jumping into the race - Trump is extremely beatable right now due to his vast incompetence at handling the reins of power.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If push comes to shove the big question of can the president pardon themselves will be interesting. If it turns out he can't, do you think Mike Pence would pardon him? Once Pence ascends to the oval throne.

I still like to imagine the party saying "Ummmm...no, we will choose a fresh candidate." it would have a nice feel to it.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So Trumpy walked out of a deal with North Korea. Win for Kimmie as back home he didn’t bow down to the evil westerner (not so good for his people though). Loss for Trumpy because it was probably his last chance to show he could do something good for the world - despite it probably all being smoke and mirrors anyway.

moorey

call me Mia
Allen Weisselberg is apparently going to appear in front of Congress. He’s already been assisting prosecutors in exchange for immunity.
Shit is gunna get real, real fast now.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I heard on the radio the other day themat Trump and Kim Jong Un had died in North Korea the previous night. I quickly realised that I miheard the word dined but for a moment I was feeling positive about the state of the world.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I don't disagree with the sentiment here but that guy is full of shit and is spinning the story. Trump was asked, "do you think RWE is a rising threat", Trump said "No, it's a small group, etc.". The dude in the video then misquotes Trump and the journo by claiming that Trump said he didn't think that RWE is a problem. That's not what was said at all and puts a very different spin on what happened. There were other problems with what he said, this was just the main one.

What Trump actually said was bad enough, RWE is clearly a rising threat (and Trump has to take some responsibility IMO). There was no need to misquote him. Even worse, in this era where "fake news" is used as a weapon and it's all about influencing emotion and appealing to bias, bad reporting like what we see up here only allows the ideological opponent to discredit your reporting, and by implication, your position because you're then 'untrustworthy and ideologically driven'.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Hmmm. I take your point, I think it wasn’t quite that bad. But yes it was a bit cherry picked. Not the worst I’ve seen though.

But the basic thrust was right - trump downplays rwe and used it to push the shit that’s behind the rwe in the first place.