Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

John U

MTB Precision
I think the point was ‘innocent people get massacred, Jacinda Adern is on the case looking into doing something about it by tightening gun laws, innocent people get massacred, it’s just another day in the office for Trump’. Whether or not this is the case Trump appears to be owned by he gun lobby, or he’s enthusiastic about widespread gun ownership and all the tragedy that it brings.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the point was ‘innocent people get massacred, Jacinda Adern is on the case looking into doing something about it by tightening gun laws, innocent people get massacred, it’s just another day in the office for Trump’. Whether or not this is the case Trump appears to be owned by he gun lobby, or he’s enthusiastic about widespread gun ownership and all the tragedy that it brings.
The reaction of the NZ PM has been, publicly at least, exactly what is needed. No naming of the perpetrator, gun control first order of business, supporting migrants, investigating whether the police need more surveillance of alt-right types etc.

Trumps tiny mind seems to truly think that demonizing the immigrants is perfectly fine despite them being the innocent victims. He also personlises the perpetrator but de-humanises them because they are ‘evil’ and not ‘one of us’

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Ergogan is threatening NZ, Bosaro is in the US getting a habdjob from Trump promising to “protect traditional family values under God”.

Scary stuff.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I reckon Trump thinks the Mueller report is about to bounce. He's been letting rip on twitter for a couple of days now and everyone is getting edgy. Either that or he's looking to distract from the heat his team is feeling from the events in NZ.

This is a fantastic report on how the new cycle of information control (fake news, conspiracies, alt-right echo chambers, meme warfare, etc.) started with gamergate. Very much worth a read and for those who understand geurilla/insurgent warfare and soviet era misinformation campaigns, a lot of this will be familiar: https://www.wired.com/story/information-terrorists-trying-to-reshape-america/

It does get a little partisan and dramatic at times, but the author is credible and the core is solid.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^Doubt I would be able to find the stuff I was reading back then.

I followed Gamergate for quite some time before realising it was a shit show of trolls and morons (on both sides), and gave up. The article author noted that "the cadre coalesced and sharpened its edge starting in 2014 with Gamergate". The actors had been around for some time before Gamergate but they just hadn't burst through yet. I agree with the article that since Gamergate it has just gotten worse.

CBG.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, I think that was part of the point the article was making. The people were definitely around and active, I could point to a lot of them on 4chan and some similar websites, but gamergate was a shift where things changed in nature/direction. The shift with gamergte was that the sentiment of what we call alt-right and similar folk started to coalesce into larger and better organised groups and people already in other organisations (media, politics) saw what was going on and either organically or deliberately manipulated the situation in combination with new media for their political and social purposes.

I recall 15 years ago receiving those chain emails about climate change and politicians - this is before internet memes barely existed, we're talking in the time of flying toasters and dancing babies - that were completely fabricated and designed to manufacture outrage among the less informed and more biased. I used to try and point out some of the BS in these to mates that sent them but regularly just got pummelled with more contrived BS by people thinking it was actual evidence: "Then how come I got this other email the other day that says exactly the same thing?". No one was asking who wrote it and where they got their stats and info from, because it reinforced their biases and it's easier to get worked up about something and provide simle solutions than ask hard questions and admit that you're unable to be part of the solution, because you don't know how to be.

I think there has been a growing realisation by disparate groups that social media, modern psychometrics and some of the disatisfactions that exist in societies are useful in achieving agendas. I think the rise of viral marketing and things like the Kony 2012 experience have kicked a new era into gear and gameregate is one of possibly numerous inflection points were new trends are emerging and becoming identifiable.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Can we just start solving climate change by burning the dumb people yet?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I reckon Trump thinks the Mueller report is about to bounce. He's been letting rip on twitter for a couple of days now and everyone is getting edgy. Either that or he's looking to distract from the heat his team is feeling from the events in NZ.
It was the former, the Mueller report is in. Also explains why he recognised the Golan Heights as Israel's and why he was saying nasty stuff about McCain this week, he was just running distraction.

moorey

call me Mia
He’ll claims it proves no collusion...but fight tooth and nail to stop its public release....not that he’ll say it’s anything than fake news....unless it completely vindicates.....of which there’s a snowflakes chance in hell.

I suspect the AG won’t initially release the full report, and it will be subpoenaed, which will be a whole other fight.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
If there is a smoking gun, we'll know about it by Reps starting to turn on Trump. IF there's no smoking gun, it will be just another long, drawn-out chapter of Trump with multiple layers of shit from every direction where very few act with dignity or valor

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If there is a smoking gun, we'll know about it by Reps starting to turn on Trump. IF there's no smoking gun, it will be just another long, drawn-out chapter of Trump with multiple layers of shit from every direction where very few act with dignity or valor
Oh come on now @johnny! That really is a black hat way of looking at things. He was elected by his people...