Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
It's almost like you're not shocked at all, you're just gauging it as the response people want to hear, so that's what you're saying.
Righto edgelord, you got me.

I’m not shocked at all that a brawl in a carpark has ended in a pregnant woman getting shot in the stomach 5 times, killing a foetus.

Excuse me now, I’m off to go look at liveleaks and tear the ears off it.

moorey

call me Mia
A bit of context was the only reason I added that passage from NYT.

For what it's worth, I saw @Zaf's point all along - in a jurisdiction where you're allowed to carry a weapon, you're entitled to argue that you feared for your life and needed to use it. In that sense it's a pretty simple case. If you're being battered by someone, their pregnancy shouldn't mean you lie down and take it.

Whether or not it's a good idea for people to be allowed to carry guns around in public is a separate matter, and we even have a special thread where we can discuss it again.
Ok, skim Googled it. I see she’s black, can’t find shooters race. Anyone?
I think it’s relevant.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Ok, skim Googled it. I see she’s black, can’t find shooters race. Anyone?
I think it’s relevant.
Yes, probably particularly in relation to the fact that the pregnant woman has been charged with the death of her own baby.

The self defence part is reasonably easy to understand in the Almerican context, but you would imagine that a better resourced defendant wouldn't have been indicted for killing her own baby after being shot.

I would have thought it reasonable that she didn't expect to be shot when she started punching on.

moorey

call me Mia
Her direct, violent actions resulted in the shooting which led to the negligent death of her child. She was responsible for the death in every legal sense and is now being prosecuted for it.
I’m glad I don’t believe that you believe that.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
How would the legalities of this have played out in Australia after an identical event? Any lawyers?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Embellished it a little.
There is a strong enough legal precedent that they're pressing charges.
Jefferson County Grand Jury has already cleared Jemison as a acting in self defence. Jones initiated the fight and in doing so put her unborn child at risk and they are now pursuing manslaughter charges because of it.
Is the death penalty an option in this case?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Embellished it a little.
There is a strong enough legal precedent that they're pressing charges.
Jefferson County Grand Jury has already cleared Jemison as a acting in self defence. Jones initiated the fight and in doing so put her unborn child at risk and they are now pursuing manslaughter charges because of it.
Well yes, that's the prosecution's case. So whether she was responsible for the death is yet to be tested.

Without doubt her actions precipitated the whole thing and put the unborn baby in harm's way. I think it's still a fair stretch to say she could have anticipated being shot in the abdomen, and presumably the case will test that proposition.