Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Apparently Donnie announced his national emergency then ducked off to a golf resort for the weekend. He obviously doesn’t need to be in full command of the country under a national emergency because golf is more important.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Doesn't matter, his emergency declaration will be nerfed shortly. 16 states have brought suit alleging it violates the separation of powers doctrine of the constitution, and can demonstrate tangible harms that will result, so they have standing. Even if Congress pulls up short on declaring the declaration of emergency invalid (possible), this will still be the easiest case ever decided by the Supreme court. The president's emergency powers are considerable, but they don't encompass being able to allocate money that the constitution has explicitly given only to Congress. Not even the wildest-eyed judge would go for that argument, especially after Trump has been explicitly denied these funds after a shutdown.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting this has comeback out at the same time as the UK 15yo ISIS bride will possibly lose citizenship there. Not sure what I think should happen to either of these women - do think that Trump is a massive hypocrite and couksnt lie straight in bed.

stirk

Burner
Interesting this has comeback out at the same time as the UK 15yo ISIS bride will possibly lose citizenship there. Not sure what I think should happen to either of these women - do think that Trump is a massive hypocrite and couksnt lie straight in bed.
The world media is probably full of such stories of the so called misled 'brides' wanting to return 'home'. Coincidence that the two stories align is reporters working together me thinks, or just pure coincidence, who knows.

Personally I think these people need to pay for their evil killing sins of innocent people, raising the white flag is not justification to forgive. They willingly went to fight a fucked up cause and call others to kill innocents in mass by trucks, bombs etc, and now they want to live some peaceful time in a nice western prison with TV and food, or even think and hope they would be free. Leave em in the desert to dry out I say, prison is too kind.

Only the desperate want to run from their past.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Not the best episode of this podcast but listen to the woman's story, https://www.policyforum.net/natsecpod-cve/ look how similar the circumstances were of the American girl that went over and then try judging her from a privileged position.

I don't know what the answer is either but I think people who are willing to see a young girl (and baby) burn in a desert for their sins have something in common with terror organisations that burn infidels for their sins. Why is your brutal attitude any better than theirs? Wanting suffering on some one, be it your form of retribution or not, is still wanting suffering on some one.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They are citizens of their home lands, they should be allowed to return there. If they have been found guilty of a crime they can be punished for that I their home land. The 15 year old is still a child and should be treated as such.

John U

MTB Precision
Abdicating responsibility for one of your citizens to another country is pretty childish. It’s not the sort of behaviour I would expect from a responsible government.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Abdicating responsibility for one of your citizens to another country is pretty childish. It’s not the sort of behaviour I would expect from a responsible government.
Absent moral considerations, there's also a question of international law. UN treaties dating from 60 years ago or more prevent signatories from withdrawing citizenship if doing so would render that individual stateless. There are already an estimated 10mi stateless people out there, many in war zones and failed states. Countries should not be able to wash their hands of their responsibilities to their citizens so easily, regardless of their abominable behaviour elsewhere. It's not really childish, but lawless behaviour we are seeing here.

Ironically, Trump himself has been pressing the EU to accept captured fighters back whilst rejecting associates of ISIS entry to the US himself. While the risks of fighters returning home and trying to pass off as harmless civilians is serious, there is at least the possibility of jailing or otherwise rehabilitating them once they are detected and taken into custody. None of these people should expect to walk through the border back to their old life, but you cannot close the borders to citizen undesirables.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Who would have thought Trump would be the one to broker a peace deal with NK. I mean yeah they are still a mile off but wow, he's definitely made progress!

moorey

call me Mia
Who would have thought Trump would be the one to broker a peace deal with NK. I mean yeah they are still a mile off but wow, he's definitely made progress!
I remain skeptical that NK will honour anything...and if they do, it’s on Putins orders, with alterier motives.
Hard not to be skeptical.

*I’ve been offline for a couple of days, and know nothing about this currently.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That’s what the Don wants you to think. He’s awesome and made all these great deals. In fact nothing is in concrete and he leaves it up to his minions to sort out the details and how the hell they are going to work out something that looks like what the original ‘deal’ was without screwing everything else up.