Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
To state it clearly, there's an unquestioned aggravated assault underlying all of this.
Yeah I know. Have stated the same above.

Not sure if that makes her explicitly culpable in the death of her child. That's what the case will determine.

My point remains the same: with a different background and better legal representation, she might well escape that conviction.

I'm no lawyer though, so as you say
Guess we'll see.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
You may be right. Seems a stretch to me, but maybe in Alabama it is assumed that anybody you get into a confrontation with will have a gun and therefore you had to know what was coming.

I don't have all the facts and I'm not a lawyer so this is all speculation on my part.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Regardless... bible belt law, whether it is to do with guns or abortion... is hardly the precedent for us, or any other sane nation for that matter, to base our own laws on.
Which is why I get bothered when Australians try to defend this shit show....

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Another only in America truth is stranger than fiction episode.
Defendant is black, state is right wing bible belt Alabama ruled by white men who are anti abortion.
Zaf is very definite in his opinion but I think there are nuances to this. ie she didnt actually shoot the foetus.
A white woman with expensive lawyers probably wouldnt even be charged.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
It does. Even from an ethical argument, she's responsible. If she had not behaved the way she had, her child would still be with her.
Jemison has been cleared of any wrong doing on the matter, in fact it was in her clearance of wrongdoing that the new charges were filed on Jones.
The question isn't if she's responsible, it's how far the consequences are going to reach because of it. And depending on the precedent set, it could range from Felony Murder or Manslaughter to aggravated assault resulting in a negligent death.
Just because she been cleared, doesn't make it ethically right, as you say, to shoot someone 5 times! Handgun or not.

Handguns can be plenty lethal depending on calibre and type of round used... Even a .22 can kill with 1 round...

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Just because she been cleared, doesn't make it ethically right, as you say, to shoot someone 5 times! Handgun or not.

Handguns can be plenty lethal depending on calibre and type of round used... Even a .22 can kill with 1 round...View attachment 354194
No mate, you just need to spend some time on gore sites. Then you’ll understand. Go watch some mexican cartels execute people, it’s the only way to wrap your head around this whole thing.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
That's why I carry a mace.
Gonna get medieval on them.

@Zaf
No we didn’t. Stop the “everyone hates guns and is ganging up on me” victim bullshit. I don’t hate guns. Not once did I say it was the guns fault. My whole point has been that it’s a shocking event, and the absurdity of it all should and does elicit a emotional response to it. From what you’ve posted, it seems you think everything is fine in that situation, and anybody quetioning the legal preceedings following it shouldn’t be nor should we discuss the morality behind them.