Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I dont know the exact circumstances but if you were getting the shit beaten out of you then you too might just keep pulling the trigger until the beating stopped.

slowmick

38-39"
Out of interest any suggestions as to what the law might say if the attacker had died from the gun shot wounds but the 5 month old fetus was unharmed?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I'm not playing the victim, and you're a fuckwit for characterising it that way.

I am here and engaging in the discussion and have been making repeated attempts to steer it off the topic of firearms, which has been discussed in great detail already, and more towards the supreme court precedent this may set (to no avail). If you want to stand there and virtue signal about a defensive shooting, you're audience is watching. You all very politely ignored the Schwartz and Soper angle brought into the discussion for an angle more close to home.

I never said that you thought it was the gun's fault.

My point is that it's no an absurd event at all. Defensive shootings are fairly commonplace, I think the lower ballpark figures have them at 100,000 a year. This is not shocking news other than it managed to make news. Why did it make the news though? Well fuck me?! You mean there's a supreme court precedent that may be set because of it...who fucking knew?!
And your a fuckwit for making out like this is some anti-gun circle jerk. “Five bullets seems abit excessive” isn’t virtue signalling.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
*you're
It only seems excessive because you don't know what you're talking about.
You don't fire a few bullets and then have a think about if this is going to "seem a little excessive". If you are at a point that you are employing a deadly force to defend yourself you are eliminating threats, and you do so by bringing an overwhelming show of force against your opponent. If it takes ten bullets, that's what you use.

If it only takes you one, there are probably skittles around.
Fair enough. I had no idea you’ve shot people.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Fair enough. I had no idea you’ve shot people.
Gun nuts spend a disturbing amount of time considering such scenarios...

For the record, the gun part of this isn’t what I’m interested in. It’s the US, their whole society is fundamentally fucked and guns are merely a symptom...

It’s the treatment of women’s rights that’s the concern and left viewed in conjunction with the bible bashing anti abortion crap is fucking scary.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I think latest polls had it at about 42% of households in the US had a firearm.
It's really wrong to just characterise people as "gun nuts" through the act of ownership alone, and doesn't really reflect that most people that own firearms are pretty regular everyday people. It's not like when you purchase one it starts whispering that you shoot children or make you like southern accents, pickup trucks and taking time out from having sex with close relatives to rape wayward tourists.

Most ownership is probably much like you own a bike. You might even own several for different types of riding you want to do. Some people might just own a commuter and rarely even ride, while others collect penny-farthings.
Just because being a gun nut is normalised in that mad country doesn’t make them less of a gun nut. Citing what’s “normal” in the US is not a good indicator of reality or sense.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Citing what's normal in my experience within Australia as well, as well as my European relatives. They are normal people that just happen to own firearms. Demonising them is a gross misrepresentation, and usually comes from a place of fear and misunderstanding, which really does nothing to help further the discussion.

The only thing abnormal in all this is your knee jerk fear reaction to them.
Knee jerk? Hardly... Nothing about American gun culture is “normal”...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
It's not like when you purchase one it starts whispering that you shoot children or make you like southern accents, pickup trucks and taking time out from having sex with close relatives to rape wayward tourists.
That’s me out then...