Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
lol. His only idea is Trump first, the rest he makes up as he goes along... There are a few common themes he uses to keep the idiots bemused, but even thats a stretch.

Postal services...? The world is literally burning and we are worrying about the mail...?
Nope, the postal issue is not trivial. Look it up.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have to say the good thing about Trump is he has conviction in his ideas.
Problem wit that is he seems to change his ideas with his underwear. Sure, some of them have held up (racist, elitist, make himself and his cronies more money) but everything else seems to be just denigrating anyone else’s ideas which ever way they lean.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think this one has some legs...but I’ve thought that about 400 times in the last couple of years.
AllTrump sees is empty threats he can dismiss with ‘fake news’ or similar. It’s a bit sad no one has the guts to stand up to him and stick him on trial for something (anything would do).

moorey

call me Mia
AllTrump sees is empty threats he can dismiss with ‘fake news’ or similar. It’s a bit sad no one has the guts to stand up to him and stick him on trial for something (anything would do).
Pilosi is pathetic, but it’s even worse that the Republicans are so partisan that they tolerate it, and so scared of him that that just fall into line.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Pilosi is pathetic, but it’s even worse that the Republicans are so partisan that they tolerate it, and so scared of him that that just fall into line.
Trying to impeach that orange bitch just galvanises his support base and gives them something to rally around. Look what happened with Clinton when they tried impeaching him in 99 - his popularity and support ultimately increased. In this hyper partisan age that affect would be even worse. It's a waste of time and energy unless he's found to have been doing something really treasonous (which even the one eyed MAGAs would find hard to swallow).

Pelosi is right to leave it well alone imo. And the Republicans would never back it anyway, so we're back to square one.

moorey

call me Mia
Disagree. Not even seriously looking at commencing impeachment just compounds that he can do whatever he wants without fear of repercussion.
His base will support him regardless. His real base is only about 30% of voters.
Clinton got a blowie and lied about it. Trump, if only looking at a similar theme, paid hookers hush money with campaign money and lied about it. That’s probably the 2654th worst bad thing he’s done.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Split on the idea of impeachment.

A - he has broken the law, if you don’t uphold and apply the law it becomes meaningless.

B - impeachment may risk serious social instability due to the hardcore supporters/Qanon that will believe its a deep state coup. Better to win the election instead.

The stuff his team tried to pull with Russia in 2016 is as bad as it gets. The stuff with Ukraine now is just as bad. It doesn’t matter what he does, his hardcore base will believe whatever he tells them because they want to believe it. Not believing it means they have to admit to themselves that they’ve been played as fools.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
You can’t call all aspects of ‘America First’ throw aways IMO

I’m not arguing that his policies are well thought out, logical or complete.
But if we look at the crux of the Trade War ... he isn’t wrong... if you look at % of GDP for Defense spending obligations For NATO members vs US spend again he isn’t wrong ... the crux of the wall is to stop or better control illegal immigration, which again isn’t wrong at its root. All of the above have been pursued by previous presidents I dare say with less conviction

I’ve seen interviews of a much younger Trump with these same views ... so I don’t see him developing these policies over night, for purely political ends

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
You can’t call all aspects of ‘America First’ throw aways IMO

I’m not arguing that his policies are well thought out, logical or complete.
But if we look at the crux of the Trade War ... he isn’t wrong... if you look at % of GDP for Defense spending obligations For NATO members vs US spend again he isn’t wrong ... the crux of the wall is to stop or better control illegal immigration, which again isn’t wrong at its root. All of the above have been pursued by previous presidents I dare say with less conviction

I’ve seen interviews of a much younger Trump with these same views ... so I don’t see him developing these policies over night, for purely political ends
He only sees the trade deficit and ignores the current account defecit with China and the pathetic returns for US bonds that benefits the US.

Perhaps the US should spend less on defence and unnecessary wars.

The wall will be totally ineffective at stopping illegal immigration. The money would be better spent on aid to help solve the push factors in Latin America.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I wonder how much of Latin America would like to have American "aid" again? Their efforts across the 1950s to 1980s were quite effective.
Hard to argue that any of that aid was for the benefit of the countries in question.

Although in a supreme piece of irony, effective aid to support family planning and economic development in countries like El Salvador would have a huge impact in country and as a side effect reduce the pressure to illegally immigrate. But much like federal decriminalization of drugs, it will never happen.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Almost 10 years ago I met a woman from Chile. We became friends and in my efforts to get beyond the friend zone, which failed and went twilight zone, I shared my interest in south America history. Well fuck me if she didn't think Pinochet was a great leader and had saved the good people of Chile from a fate worse than death!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Hard to argue that any of that aid was for the benefit of the countries in question.

Although in a supreme piece of irony, effective aid to support family planning and economic development in countries like El Salvador would have a huge impact in country and as a side effect reduce the pressure to illegally immigrate. But much like federal decriminalization of drugs, it will never happen.

Thinking two steps ahead doesn’t seem like something the US Congress does...