Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Man, it's par for the course with any media consumption these days, it has no basis in reality. This gets filed in my brain as the scene from Skyfall where the sniper clearly puts together a bolt action rifle that then fires like a semi-auto during the scuffle, or pretty much any of the firearms stuff in The Walking Dead. Although this one has some great comedic irony to it, they all fall under the category of "someone did a lazy job and didn't check their work properly and likely didn't have the insight to begin with".

They screwed up, but they also didn't kill anybody doing it. I'm inclined to put this in the "wins" column.
Alright I'll bite. I work in an industry where you'll be crucified for a lack of attention to detail (hardly unique) so I'm inclined to pass that intolerance onto others in situations like this. It's different in popular culture - guns have had magical properties in Hollywood since Indiana Jones's 500 round six shooter if not before. But these are people who are meant to be running and accountable for important, life and death shit. Sloppy mistakes like this are just either sheer laziness or total incompetence, probably both. Concerning when these are the people responsible for attempting to reelect a person to lead the most powerful nation on the planet (for now).

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Eh, Hanlon's Razor and move on.
The consequences are pretty minor here, your energy is better spent dealing with the issues that you can actually have an outcome with.
Heh, had to look up what Hanlon's Razor meant. Very good.

I still maintain that these issues (however minor they may seem) need to be noted and whinged about. Trump's been trying (and largely succeeding) in overloading the system for years now with endless controversies and general stupidity to the point that it's easy to think "meh, par for the course really" - but that's just allowing the incompetence and bullshit to sail through unacknowledged imo, effectively letting them get away with it and demonstrating to others that they can too.

moorey

call me Mia
Trump....a man who openly lusts/lusted for his daughter(s), burst in on teens getting changed at miss teen USA, told Girl Scouts selling cookies that he could date them in a few years, commented on his teen nieces body in a swimsuit.....retweeted #pedobiden with a video of Joe consoling a nervous adult colleague who already dismissed it as inappropriate.

Classic projection.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Eh, Hanlon's Razor and move on.
The consequences are pretty minor here, your energy is better spent dealing with the issues that you can actually have an outcome with.
I don’t think Hanlon’s can ever apply to Trump.
Is there a reverse where his appeared stupidity can be attributed to malice?

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Side note - when was that image of the Iranian F-14 taken? Pretty cool as Iran was the only country (apart from the US Navy) to buy F-14s but I thought they all ran out of spares and were inoperable within months of the Shah being deposed in 1979... Any aviation nerds know more?
From potted memory:
the Iranians used the F-14 extensively during the Iran-Iraq war for home defence. They cannabilised their fleet to kept some operational (the US contractors and government loyalist sabotaged a bunch of stuff).
They picked up some repair parts as part of the Iran-Contra dealings and then have basically spent the last 35 years illegally buying (lots of people have been arrested for selling them parts, and bunch were sold off with no oversight when the US wrapped up their F-14 program) or bolting on modified parts to keep them flying.
They are still in use now as the Iranians didn't like what the Chinese were offering them and no-one else is willing to sell them anything.
Looking into counter-drone stuff it was evident they were using F-14s recently to target US drones trying to get a look at sites in Iran

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Fascinating, cheers!

I wonder if the Iranian F-14s have any of those Tupolev hunting AIM-54 missiles still working. The results of one of those hitting a Predator drone would be.... large.

Still reckon the easiest way to deal with the Iran "threat" is to kill them with kindness - you know, like we were doing pre-Trump. Remove the imperialist western bogeyman from the equation and suddenly Iran's ruling revolutionaries lose the propaganda to unite the population against. Without that I think you'd see the country's leadership evolve to counter rising dissent or face their own Arab Spring moment.

Of course Trump is so blinded by hatred for anything with Obama's fingerprints on it and too stupid to understand such subtleties for anything like that to happen while he's in charge.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fascinating, cheers!

I wonder if the Iranian F-14s have any of those Tupolev hunting AIM-54 missiles still working. The results of one of those hitting a Predator drone would be.... large.

Still reckon the easiest way to deal with the Iran "threat" is to kill them with kindness - you know, like we were doing pre-Trump. Remove the imperialist western bogeyman from the equation and suddenly Iran's ruling revolutionaries lose the propaganda to unite the population against. Without that I think you'd see the country's leadership evolve to counter rising dissent or face their own Arab Spring moment.

Of course Trump is so blinded by hatred for anything with Obama's fingerprints on it and too stupid to understand such subtleties for anything like that to happen while he's in charge.
I think they ended up reversing engineering an update to the 54 and it came into production around 3-4 years ago.

Completely agree that a US policy of at neutrality, or non-aggravation anyway, with Iran would be the better outcome and mean that the population would push the regime harder for change (there's still a fair % of the Iranian population who don't mind the West). But, as Pink says, KSA wouldn't like that very much so I can't see happening

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
In announcing his amazing best ever Nobel prize worthy peace in the Middle East deals yesterday el Trumpo actually said that if he wins the election then there’ll be a deal with Iran. You know.. like the one he torpedoed the minute he won the last election. What a cunt.