Tubeless repair - recommendations

T-Rex

Template denier
I’m looking for a Christmas present for Junior. He’s going to be racing EWS again next year, so I’m thinking about a plug kit with built in inflator, which seems to be the quick way of getting going again after putting a hole in a tyre. He has a plug kit and a separate inflator, I’m looking for a combined unit, something like a Dynaplug Air. He is running 29” so it needs to take a 25g cartridge.

Any recommendations? And a vendor who can deliver before Christmas, or a Sydney or Canberra shop with stock

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I’m looking for a Christmas present for Junior. He’s going to be racing EWS again next year, so I’m thinking about a plug kit with built in inflator, which seems to be the quick way of getting going again after putting a hole in a tyre. He has a plug kit and a separate inflator, I’m looking for a combined unit, something like a Dynaplug Air. He is running 29” so it needs to take a 25g cartridge.

Any recommendations? And a vendor who can deliver before Christmas, or a Sydney or Canberra shop with stock
The Stans dart looks pretty good @Ackland has been using them so might be able to give a review for people serious about getting tyres going in a hurry. Doesn't have the inflator attached but looks to work better than just the usual dynaplug.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I've found sticky plug solutions such as the dynaplug to be ok in a situation where your sealant is totally dry but tend to slowly leak air as the tyre carcass deforms so aren't ideal in the long term or to continue racing at full pace.

The dart system actually starts a chemical reaction with the sealant and the tyre rubber to create a semi permanent bond.
The dart is very quick once you know how to use it and has worked well on cuts right up near the bead.

This odd Japanese video shows the chemical reaction

For an enduro type rider I'd recommend sticking with a small inflator head and a couple of CO2 cartridges as it's a more reliable system.

For larger bag tyres, the larger canisters are a must or you risk pinching your casing again immediately.

T-Rex

Template denier
Thanks @Litenbror and @Ackland . He has a dart type plugging tool, but without the built in inflator, which seems to work OK. Dry sealant isn't a problem, his tyres don't last long enough for the sealant to dry out. And he wouldn't run a plugged tyre for an extended period, it would be just to get through to the end of the day's racing when it could be changed.

So I've just ordered the Dynaplug Air, will let you know how it goes.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Dynaplug came to the rescue again today. Small hole in the rear which sealant would have dealt with, but evidently was due a top up.

Repair took less than a minute; so much quicker than wrestling off a tyre and putting in a tube.

These things are pricey for what they are but think of the emotional cost of an interrupted ride.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Dynaplug came to the rescue again today.

These things are pricey for what they are but think of the emotional cost of an interrupted ride.
I have never had great luck with the Dynaplug kit, the basic bacon strips and tool work a lot better for me.

Beautiful piece of kit though, very nicely made.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I just received a Stans DART, I wish it had a metal case so I could strap it to the frame.
Plastic even better because it won't rub and clink?

Yeah I think Stans need to bring the form factor down a bit but it's currently sized to fit in your hand better during use.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I have never had great luck with the Dynaplug kit, the basic bacon strips and tool work a lot better for me.

Beautiful piece of kit though, very nicely made.
I think I've done three successful repairs now, but I guess it's pretty dependent on the damage.

I've got the Stans as well, haven't tried it out yet. Never tried the bacon strips, although I think I have some somewhere.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Plastic even better because it won't rub and clink?

Yeah I think Stans need to bring the form factor down a bit but it's currently sized to fit in your hand better during use.
I have a Granite strap so it has an inner strap then an outer. Also it would sit on top of whacking great inner tube!