Tubeless repair

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
What was difficult about inflating it with a compressor? Sometimes the valves get gunked up from the tyre sealant, which will make them both difficult to fill and can create a slow leak.
Oh yeah. Never happened to me before but for some reason, I just can't stop this particular valve/tyre/rim blocking the crap outa mine and causing slow leaks.

Might be easiest to replace the valve, if that's what you suspect it is. They're cheaper than chips on eBay.
Have you got any supplier/brand that you've bought off Ebay that has been decent quality and that you'd recommend?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Oh yeah. Never happened to me before but for some reason, I just can't stop this particular valve/tyre/rim blocking the crap outa mine and causing slow leaks.
I found if the tyre has deflated completely (but still seated on the bead) - it's worth making sure to put the valve toward the top of the rim and giving a few seconds for the sealant to drain away from it before inflating. I did one inflation from flat with the valve pointing down near the sealant and I think it breathed in a bit into the valve and gunked it up pretty significantly. It still sealed, but it was a bastard to top-up trailside until I replaced the valve core.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I found if the tyre has deflated completely (but still seated on the bead) - it's worth making sure to put the valve toward the top of the rim and giving a few seconds for the sealant to drain away from it before inflating. I did one inflation from flat with the valve pointing down near the sealant and I think it breathed in a bit into the valve and gunked it up pretty significantly. It still sealed, but it was a bastard to top-up trailside until I replaced the valve core.
My tyre wasn't fully deflated and it still got in. So I pulled the core out, cleaned it up along with the shaft/housing and pumped it up with the valve at the top of the wheel away from the sealant. Stupid thing is gunked again, NFI idea how or why. Never happened before either. I blame Trump.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I spray the presta valves with silicon grease spray and then insert them into the stem, sealant doesn't like sticking to them as bad. I think it's just part of MTB life that they need to be cleaned out every now and then. If the presta leaks a bit of air surely the sealant will find its way in there.

PJO

in me vL comy
My tyre wasn't fully deflated and it still got in. So I pulled the core out, cleaned it up along with the shaft/housing and pumped it up with the valve at the top of the wheel away from the sealant. Stupid thing is gunked again, NFI idea how or why. Never happened before either. I blame Trump.
Your valve must have a slow leak, sealant is gunking it up as you ride. New valve is the answer, but yes Trump is the problem. Would be nice if he popped his valve permanently.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m just going to chime in and say gorilla tape is great, but only on some tyre/rims combos. My carbon rims with gorilla were an absolute slag to seat the tyre because gorilla tape is much thicker (1 wrap) and inhibits the tyre wall slipping into the rim bead.. Soapy water, compressor, air shot all struggled big time.
I pulled off the gorilla a few weeks ago and replace with some thin stuff that cam with the rims and I could seat the tyre with a floor pump..

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I've only ever used floor pumps to seal my tubeless tyres. Never had to use a compressor, airshot or whathave you.

/end brag

RangaWal

Likes Bikes
You don't need to buy the proper rim tape, a lot of us here are using this stuff blue-outdoor-long-life-masking-tape.
Just make sure you do 2 wraps.
This. I only did one wrap to test, but not seeing any bubbles after the soapy water check. I'll add another wrap (or redo 2 wraps) once my new valve turns up. Also need to add sealant, but still trying to decide what to get.

Thanks again for the advice!

Flow-Rider

Burner
This. I only did one wrap to test, but not seeing any bubbles after the soapy water check. I'll add another wrap (or redo 2 wraps) once my new valve turns up. Also need to add sealant, but still trying to decide what to get.

Thanks again for the advice!
When we first started to use it someone on here tried one wrap but it burst a hole through the rim nipple hole. If you do a double wrap, it just adds a bit of insurance against it happening that's all.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
When we first started to use it someone on here tried one wrap but it burst a hole through the rim nipple hole. If you do a double wrap, it just adds a bit of insurance against it happening that's all.
That was me ! Still using the stuff but with 2 wraps now . As far as sealant get the rubena / mitas stuff on ebay 40 or 50 with good valves included .

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I’m just going to chime in and say gorilla tape is great, but only on some tyre/rims combos. My carbon rims with gorilla were an absolute slag to seat the tyre because gorilla tape is much thicker (1 wrap) and inhibits the tyre wall slipping into the rim bead.. Soapy water, compressor, air shot all struggled big time.
I pulled off the gorilla a few weeks ago and replace with some thin stuff that cam with the rims and I could seat the tyre with a floor pump..
I'm in the same boat. My carbon rims are stupidly tight, even with normally quite loose-fitting non-tubeless tyres, so I wanted the thinnest tape layer possible to not make the fit any tighter than it already was. I'm probably about to jinx myself, but I haven't had a single problem with a single layer of blue Bear tape.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That was me ! Still using the stuff but with 2 wraps now . As far as sealant get the rubena / mitas stuff on ebay 40 or 50 with good valves included .
I found that mitus stuff to be a little thin, I had a bit of saga where I pinch flatted a front tyre and it wouldn't seal above 20 psi. I'm still using it but I added some glitter to the mix now. The tubeless valve kits are great, I've had no issue with them for years.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I scored a big bottle of Stan's Race Sealant (not the regular stuff) for $45. I ride home from work via three corner jack filled scrub nearly everyday and it hasn't let me down yet.

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
Tighten that valve stem with pliers too, that'll make sure you get a good firm coverage inside between the rubber and the tape.
Agree with everything you said except for this. If you’ve done everything else right you only need a finger tight valve and in fact you can create a leak path by over tightening and damaging the rubber on the valve. It’ll also save you a shit load of frustration if you need to remove the valve core with your hands trail side to fit a tube

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Agree with everything you said except for this. If you’ve done everything else right you only need a finger tight valve and in fact you can create a leak path by over tightening and damaging the rubber on the valve. It’ll also save you a shit load of frustration if you need to remove the valve core with your hands trail side to fit a tube
Hmmm, good point. I think my tightening suggestion may have been common practice for me after having a small leak on my first ghetto tubeless set up, I'll try it without pliers next time. ;)

Edit: Actually, I do it because I have less feeling in the tip of my right hand index finger from an accident years ago, doing it with long nose pliers gave me a firm grip was all.

RangaWal

Likes Bikes
I ended up putting a tube in it for now. When the new valves arrive I'll decide whether I want tubeless, and if so, get some sealant and try again.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Google ghetto split tube, it is literally what I did with a rim last night and it has stayed up without issue. I'd retaped and revalved a rim three times and it had had three different tyres on it and they always went flat. I bought it second hand, and after looking at the valve area I'd say the previous owner had over tightened the valve one to many time.

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt

Have you got any supplier/brand that you've bought off Ebay that has been decent quality and that you'd recommend?
Get all my tubeless valves from Aliexpress. Dirt cheap but just be prepared for slow delivery