Tubeless repair

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
@Ackland have reported you to the SS mafia, for being unhelpful, they’ll b around to strip you of your single cog, horizontal drops & any sneaky ebb’s you have lying around....you have made a powerful enemy (power on social media ...not watt power—my legs aren’t that big)
they’ll give any stan’s dart found to some e-bikers

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I've had one puncture on tubeless in 3.5 years, sharp rock in the tread. Must be doing it wrong, definitely not laying down the k's @Ackland is to make a comparison :p

Luck has been on my side the couple of times I've not watched rear pressures/what I'm blasting through, and struck the rim. High Roller 2's have been good to me.

The one flat I had got a patch glued inside and went for probably 1500 km. Was about 4mm long. Used to leak a bit of fluid though, I'm so down for the dart.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's not a good practice to plug the side walls of any tyre, if you do it's just a temp fix. I've never had the beacon strips cause any problems and they're a lot cheaper the stans type.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I was reading about the Stan’s Dart on PB yesterday and someone commented that small scraps of cotton cloth also worked well for tubeless tyre repairs involving larger or odd shaped holes. Could be a simple thing to add to the riding toolkit, or perhaps you could just wear Y fronts and tear pieces from the front flap to get you out of trouble... :p

Ackland

chats d'élevage
The dart system most definitely works better than wadded up cotton or butcher's twine.

It forms a permanent and flexible bond that will allow you to continue using the tyre until it's worn out completely.

The cotton works as a get out of jail solution in a pinch.

I'll try and get resized photos working

Edit. No photos. Still embargoed.
Can demonstrate if in Adelaide or at the Armidale 24 but by then JetBlack should have stock

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
I was reading about the Stan’s Dart on PB yesterday and someone commented that small scraps of cotton cloth also worked well for tubeless tyre repairs involving larger or odd shaped holes. Could be a simple thing to add to the riding toolkit, or perhaps you could just wear Y fronts and tear pieces from the front flap to get you out of trouble... :p
If you come unstuck out on the trails with the bacon plugs you can also fit 2 or 3 in the one hole. Only problem I've with them is some of the cheaper insertion tools spread open the fork and it makes hard work of getting the plug in.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Holy MTB tax!

Should be about $20 and $10, and that would still allow plenty of profit margin IMO.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

Jpez

Down on the left!

Flow-Rider

Burner
I had a puncture almost first outing on a new tyre. Jammed a bacon strip in there and it lasted the life of the tyre. People say they are a short term measure but I’ve had great luck with them.
Did have have one blow out of the tyre on a race which sucked but overall they do a great job.
They've been used on cars for over 25 years and I've fitted them for that long, it's just not good practice to fit them in side walls or some of the really bigger holes. You're also meant to install them at the same angle at what punctured the tyre did.

ozzybmx

I had a puncture almost first outing on a new tyre. Jammed a bacon strip in there and it lasted the life of the tyre. People say they are a short term measure but I’ve had great luck with them.
Did have have one blow out of the tyre on a race which sucked but overall they do a great job.
I bought an expensive Dynaplug kit just before my first Simpson race in 2014, used it a few times... reckon the cheap bacon strips work better.
The Stans kit looks the goods but what a rip off.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I bought an expensive Dynaplug kit just before my first Simpson race in 2014, used it a few times... reckon the cheap bacon strips work better.
i see pushes finally stocking the dart kits now

ozzybmx

F%#k ! $60 for the kit and $45 for 5 refills.

There is no doubt Stan has done his research :) For years, bigger holes have been the downfall of tubeless and they will have tested this extensively. It looks as if it will work really well in theory.

Jpez

Down on the left!
D
Totally agree! All those Dyna plug products just seem like over engineered wankery buggery.

teK--

Eats Squid
Yeah I found dynaplugs to be far overpriced and the bacon strips do a much better job . Plus they dont have a metal tip that can eventually separate and rattle around inside the tyre.