Tubeless Rim Tape Advice

bear the bear

Is a real bear
All,
I need help, I have a pair of carbon wheels that I just cannot easily get tubeless rim tape to stick to, the normal suspects- stans, orange, effeto mariposa just will not stick to the carbon. I've currently got it setup with wide electrical tape... but it's really hurting my OCD.
Any tips or tricks with carbon and tubeless tape?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Electrical tape and then bear blue over the top.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
carbon don't like harsh chemicals, and put a tube in for 24 hours to really bond tape.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
Did a set last night after i pulled about 20 big thorns out of a set of panarancer tyres on the commuter. Been putting Stans inside tubes for a while as LBS wanted 50 bucks for long Tubeless valves ...11 dollars online.
Bear brand blue tape cut to right width. Quick wipe with meths. I use an old scotch bottle cork that is perfect size for rubbing the tape down onto rims. Using truing stand makes it easier too.
Someone on here said to paint sides of tyrebead with a little sealant which works really well to help seat.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
* Thread dig *

I've been using this stuff for a while now and it's bloody good (Bunnings didn't have Bear tape when I went, so took a chance on this):

I have had to trim it narrower for some rims, but so far I've set up two carbon rims (one shallow & one deep internal well) two old-school narrow alloy rims, and a Spank Oozy 345 rim (with the central ridge in the inner well) and it just goes on easy and stays stuck better than the Stans or Fratelli (Spank) "rim tape" options I've tried which always seem to want to unstick from itself or not seal along the edges. The carbon rims I did in particular held pressure for months while I was recovering from doing my collarbone. And didn't come unstuck when I replaced a tyre recently, just put the tyre on a pumped it up.

Only advice for application I'd suggest is cut it a little wider (probably +1 or 2mm) than you need, and don't pull it so tight that it starts to stretch. It has a slight corrugated look to the surface and if they start to stretch apart and turn white you're trying to get it tighter than it needs to be.

Perfect width for 35mm internal width rims too.

D01

Likes Dirt
I saw the Scotchblue tape last time I was looking for rim tape and thought it looked worth trying. The no residue claim is appealing. I'm using the gorilla tape, but dread having to clean the sticky crap off when the time comes.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
* Thread dig *

I've been using this stuff for a while now and it's bloody good (Bunnings didn't have Bear tape when I went, so took a chance on this):

I have had to trim it narrower for some rims, but so far I've set up two carbon rims (one shallow & one deep internal well) two old-school narrow alloy rims, and a Spank Oozy 345 rim (with the central ridge in the inner well) and it just goes on easy and stays stuck better than the Stans or Fratelli (Spank) "rim tape" options I've tried which always seem to want to unstick from itself or not seal along the edges. The carbon rims I did in particular held pressure for months while I was recovering from doing my collarbone. And didn't come unstuck when I replaced a tyre recently, just put the tyre on a pumped it up.

Only advice for application I'd suggest is cut it a little wider (probably +1 or 2mm) than you need, and don't pull it so tight that it starts to stretch. It has a slight corrugated look to the surface and if they start to stretch apart and turn white you're trying to get it tighter than it needs to be.

Perfect width for 35mm internal width rims too.
Saw this the other day at bunnings.

Bought some for when the inevitable happens and the qf green tape lets go haha

Reactions: PJO