Tubeless setup

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Modern XC are ~30mm internal.
Top end DT XRC 1200 are 30mm, Roval SL are 29mm.

Road is now 25mm internal, again top end Zipp 303 and Bontrager Aeolus are the 2 I looked at.

In comparison, my Enve XC are 17mm internal which I ran 2.4 Schwalbes for years on with no issues, now fitted with 2.3's for adventure/gravel.

They have all jumped on the wider rim wagon.

gness

Likes Bikes
So I just received the Hope/i35 wheelset from Wiggle and realised they aren't pre-taped. Having never taped my own wheels and doing a bit of research this morning, WTB say 5mm wider than internal width so looks like I'll need 40mm? It doesn't look like there are many options for this width locally - any ideas?

moorey

call me Mia
So I just received the Hope/i35 wheelset from Wiggle and realised they aren't pre-taped. Having never taped my own wheels and doing a bit of research this morning, WTB say 5mm wider than internal width so looks like I'll need 40mm? It doesn't look like there are many options for this width locally - any ideas?
I used 35 or 36mm on my Hope 35w’s. That’s ample. Too wide and I find the edges tend to curl up more when fitting/changing the tyres.
As long as covering the spokes, any of the machined holes in some rims, you’ll be sweet.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I like to tape wall-to-wall, that way the bead of the tyre holds the tape down (and reduces chances of lifting upon tyre removal). I don't like it when the tape climbs the walls of the rim bed for same reasons as @moorey.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Just taped up set for the first time on the weekend. A youtube video or two will set you on the right path. Seems relatively forgiving. Air has been holding, so must have done orright

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Taping rims and/or setting up tubeless isn't the black magic that media outlets and roadies make it out to be.
At a minimum, you're using the tape to make the rim bed (which has holes for spokes) air tight.
You can get away with (but I wouldn't recommend) barely covering the holes.

Tips for a first timer.
  • Clean and dry the rim bed
  • Apply the tape firmly under tension and press down as you go (think applying a screen protector) to remove bubbles.
  • If you have the time, a good idea is to install the tyre with a tube for a few hrs or overnight, this applies pressure to the tape and has the added bonus that when you remove one side, the other side should stay beaded on and it will be easy to inflate with a hand pump (recommend core removed).