Turbo trainer blowout

stewyh

Likes Dirt
Yeah so this happened today during turbo session! Heard a loud pop and turned around to see the tyre looking like Homer Simpsons neck in that episode when he wasn't allowed to get angry!

20160306_130826.jpg

20160306_130908.jpg

Pulled the tyre off, tube has a hole basically in the centre of the top so not a pinch flat. Dunno what happened, Not an expensive tyre (Duro) or tube but looks like the tube gave up (maybe heat?) and filled the tyre with air causing it to burst as well. I had ridden these on a commuter for a short while so they had some wear but not much.

Problem with replacing the tyre with a trainer specific one is that my dedicated trainer bike is really old with 27" rims. There's no such tyre that I can find. I'd rather just buy a 27" tyre and tube (a pricey one if need be) but may have to relent and chuck a new 700c rim & trainer specific tyre on the back if that's what's required.

Any opinions either way? Cheers

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Make sure that you have the tension sufficiently high between the tyre and the trainer roller/drive system to ensure no slippage between the tyre and the trainer roller. The slippage can cause a lot of heat buildup I believe.

I've never had an issue like that using standard road tyres on a fluid trainer.

stewyh

Likes Dirt
Get a wheel you can fit a trainer tyre to. The tyre has suffered from the heat & let go, not the tube first.
It lasted about 10 sessions. Not bad for a used pos I guess haha. I chucked the front tyre on the back. Should survive a couple sessions till i can source a new rim.

Make sure that you have the tension sufficiently high between the tyre and the trainer roller/drive system to ensure no slippage between the tyre and the trainer roller. The slippage can cause a lot of heat buildup I believe.

I've never had an issue like that using standard road tyres on a fluid trainer.
No slippage. Always had it pretty firmly set. The tyres were cheap gumwalls i sourced for my commuter. Now said ex-commuter lives permanently on trainer so might as well adapt it properly I spose.

Cheers :)