Twelve point pivot bolts

stirk

Burner
Some of my pivot bearings need attention, after tracing and fixing all the creaks on the old bike I've found the linkages are also creaking.
I've got the wishbone off and one bearing is fine and one crunchy, both were dry so I'm a f'wit for not packing grease into them more often.

The other Kona pivot bolts are some kind of weird 12 point like a socket instead of a normal 6 point hex. I'll need to wail on these to get em off and am worried I might round em out. I suppose a socket works ok on a 6 point bolt so should be fine but has anyone rounded such pivot bolts before?

Putting some muscle onto em made the hex key get a little stuck suggesting I'll round these out if I go at it too hard.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Some of my pivot bearings need attention, after tracing and fixing all the creaks on the old bike I've found the linkages are also creaking.
I've got the wishbone off and one bearing is fine and one crunchy, both were dry so I'm a f'wit for not packing grease into them more often.

The other Kona pivot bolts are some kind of weird 12 point like a socket instead of a normal 6 point hex. I'll need to wail on these to get em off and am worried I might round em out. I suppose a socket works ok on a 6 point bolt so should be fine but has anyone rounded such pivot bolts before?

Putting some muscle onto em made the hex key get a little stuck suggesting I'll round these out if I go at it too hard.

View attachment 358683
https://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome-11-piece-1-4-3-8-and-1-2-drive-spline-socket-rail_p6110886

Don’t use an allen key please

Ultra Lord

cheers, I tried searching for such tools and could not find anything to match my search terms.

What are these bit's commonly called?
triple square bits, twelve point bits?

I hardly use them but got really frustrated one day when I sent the apprentice down the road to replace some torx bits I snapped and he came back with these.

stirk

Burner
Damn, I knew my bike had these bolts but have not paid much thought to them until now I need to remove them! The number of special tools I need to work on bikes is ever growing, will it end....?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I would call a special tool from Bunnings a big win.

If you have to be bent over for an expensive special Kona wrench to only do one task then you can moan and I'll join you :)

LPG

likes thicc birds
F-sake, why would you use some obscure tool like that. Hex is great, now that I've got the tools I love that torx heads won't round off. What advantage does this have?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
triple square bits, twelve point bits?

I hardly use them but got really frustrated one day when I sent the apprentice down the road to replace some torx bits I snapped and he came back with these.
WTF do you use these for are they anti-tamper?
What advantage could they have?

Ultra Lord

Damn, I knew my bike had these bolts but have not paid much thought to them until now I need to remove them! The number of special tools I need to work on bikes is ever growing, will it end....?

Measure the angle to make sure you buy the right tool.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
some of these are silly no real advantage. I have used square Robertson which are good for woodworking because the screw stays on the screw driver head without a magnet then has 3 squares overlapping to make 12 point
Phillips head was apparently introduced so they could slip+ not break the head when factories started using power tools that had no clutch then when clutches available they could use Pozidrive which dont slip.
Screws cant really be tamperproof if they sell the tool to remove them at Bunnings however breakaway screws work ?
A friend did a shed for a Defence Force job they specified security screws.
He said anyone could get in using a battery powered angle grinder though it is noisy.
Of course Apple being bastards introduced the pentalobe screw so you couldnt change the battery but someone made a screw diver to fit ha ha !!! Now they glue them but I am told they can still be opened typical[ greenwashing= we are so environmentally conscious but throw your laptop away if the battery is no good.
Any screw that you can use a pointy kitchen knife for is OK.

Last edited: