Tyre advice please. What would you do?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
dhr camp also, then onza [more pricey -but there were a couple in classifieds here a while back]

not a huge ardent fan, id take a forecaster over it any day; it only comes in 2.35 or 2.6 wide though

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
the Michelin Wild AM.
This is what I run on the front cos DHFs are just too dam heavy and slow on the 120mm bike.

I worked though butchers, purgs, nobby nics, ardents (yuck) trying to find something that got close to minion grip but wasn't such a boat anchor.

The Wild AM is the pick of the litter for, really nice in the corners and surprisingly fast rolling. I'm about to throw a fresh one up front :)

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is what I run on the front cos DHFs are just too dam heavy and slow on the 120mm bike.

I worked though butchers, purgs, nobby nics, ardents (yuck) trying to find something that got close to minion grip but wasn't such a boat anchor.
Hans Damph in the stickier compound (previously trailstar).. It’s rounded so it rolls ok..

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
No one using the aggressor here? I had early success in summer with it.

Preferred over the ardent which was my go to for a long time.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I have it on the rear and love it. But I have it in the 2.5" DD which didn't seem too relevent to the topic. Surprised me how fast rolling it was however, and have already bought one again ready for my upcoming 29er.

Jpez

Down on the left!

Preferred over the ardent which was my go to for a long time.
I’m running a 2.5 on the rear. It’s my favourite all round tire at the moment.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I've run 2.25 and 2.4 Ardents on the rear, I like both but the 2.4 is a better tyre. Half worn would be fine.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Another vote here for the Michelin Wild AM. Bloody good in all conditions.

In the last 18 months my front wheel has had an HRII, a Minion DHF and the Michelin.
(All 27.5 on a 140mm trail bike with 26mm internal width rims.)

The HRII nearly put me in hospital - hated it. Really sketchy in the dry.
The DHF was good, reliable grip... but it's gotta be the smallest 2.3 inch tyre ever made.

The Michelin, at 2.35 has the right amount of inflated volume and is by far the best tyre of these three. I have found it completely dependable in a wide range of trails and conditions.
No leaks or punctures either... and piss easy to mount tubeless.

I don't really care about rolling resistance... I just like grip.

Aggressor on the rear is great too... But does fill up with mud when it's wet.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
On my yeti sb5c I'm currently running a 2.4 ardent front + 2.2 (ish) ikon rear. - hangover from my previous hardtail.
The ardent has limited life left now and I'm wanting to replace with something meatier up front. Prob a high roller or minion.

Would you consider a half worn ardent on the rear or just keep the ikon there?

Buying two tyres is out of the question atm.. :(
Chop the Ardent into pieces, then burn the pieces. You'll thank me later.

slimjim1

Another vote here for the Michelin Wild AM....I don't really care about rolling resistance... I just like grip.
Yep, but it does roll a lot better than those other two, no doubt.

And this is their 'trail' tyre, can only imagine how much stick their burlier options have.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
I run a 2.3" DHF Max Terra up front with a 2.4" Ardent out back. I did have a 2.5" DHF, but couldn't find the non-WT at replacement time. I love the combo and have recommended it to others. This is on a Tallboy LT (140mm/135mm 29er). I run a Hans Dampfe/Rock Razor on my hardtail and like that a lot as well (NS Clash, 26" with a 130mm fork).

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rather than start yet another 'which tyre' thread, does anyone have experience with the Kenda Havoc Sport in 2.8?
I'm building a Norco Torrent for my son and want to run 2.6-2.8's but don't want to spend heaps on rubber for a kid since he'll just do skids anyway. How bad can they be?

camo71

Likes Dirt
Regarding the Michelin wild am ;
After hearing all the good reviews I'm considering trying these with a force on the back as I'm due for tyres ,
Are these generally close to double the price of maxxis ?
Can get a minion and ardent / aggressor combo for $110 posted , the wild am seems close to that on its own . Can they be had for a good price somewhere or are they just a more expensive tyre ?
Cheers

slimjim1

Regarding the Michelin wild am ;
After hearing all the good reviews I'm considering trying these with a force on the back as I'm due for tyres ,
Are these generally close to double the price of maxxis ?
Can get a minion and ardent / aggressor combo for $110 posted , the wild am seems close to that on its own . Can they be had for a good price somewhere or are they just a more expensive tyre ?
Cheers
They are between $50 and $60 on CRC/Wiggle. Possibly cheaper if you look elsewhere. The Force is $52 on CRC.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Tell me about it, the maxxis love is strong. Hans is fine everywhere, I find the nic is shite on hard pack tho. Both are still better than an Ardent, crossmarks are more predictable..
Hans gets grouchy on damp sandy stuff. He likes hardpack or a bit of a loosely covered hardpack the most from my experience. I don't want Hans on the back either.

Although when those sharpish knobs start to round off he gets much less confident.

Still don't mind the Ardent as a rear tyre. That thing lasts forever too.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk