Tyre clearance

Petero

Likes Dirt
Hey Gents,
Curious about tyre clearances and peoples experience/recommendations.

Running my Genius 720+ with 29ers and 2.4 DHR on the rear. The manual recomends max tyre width of 27.5x3.0" which equates to roughly 29x2.25" in outside diameter. Noticed this on the Scott website FAQs -
"We recommend a 3 to 4mm gap between the tire and the rear triangle on both sides to have enough clearance in muddy conditions."
Obviously clearance to chainstays is fine with the narrower tyre, however the clearance to the rear triangle is 4mm closer than a 27.5x3 tyre, but still more than 3-4mm between the tyre and any part of the frame.

I note that FOX fork specs are a minimum 8mm clearance.

What a peoples thoughts?

Flow-Rider

Burner
You can usually get away with 5mm minimum on the front fork and the rear a tiny bit less but the problem is when rocks get caught in your tyres it can destroy a carbon frame or take all the paint off.

This is why I built up an old bike for the real rocky trails I ride, it's real disappointing spending thousands on a carbon frame and it looks like crap after you use it for what it was designed for. I actually wrapped some silicon tape around the chain stays but still pissed at how easy the paint falls off carbon.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Gents,
Curious about tyre clearances and peoples experience/recommendations.

Running my Genius 720+ with 29ers and 2.4 DHR on the rear. The manual recomends max tyre width of 27.5x3.0" which equates to roughly 29x2.25" in outside diameter. Noticed this on the Scott website FAQs -
"We recommend a 3 to 4mm gap between the tire and the rear triangle on both sides to have enough clearance in muddy conditions."
Obviously clearance to chainstays is fine with the narrower tyre, however the clearance to the rear triangle is 4mm closer than a 27.5x3 tyre, but still more than 3-4mm between the tyre and any part of the frame.

I note that FOX fork specs are a minimum 8mm clearance.

What a peoples thoughts?
I’d be be looking for more than 3-4mm. Every, stone or stick picked up is going to cause grief!

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would have thought so too - it did surprise me!
One guy that rides with us has just got himself a 2018 Scott trail bike (not sure of the model) and is fitted with 29x2.6" Rekons as standard. The clearance on the rear triangle is ridiculously small... probably 3-4mm! Personally I think it is irresponsible of Scott to fit tyres which IMO are simply too large for the given frame!

There needs to be allowances for things such as: variations in tyres for the same stated diameter; tyre stretch; tyres out of true (Schwalbe are notorious for this).