Tyre inserts - Tried them yet?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I managed to install the Tannus armour inserts for inner tubes on the back of my Prime, replacing the Kflex ghetto cushcore.

It's very easy to install, and I get none of the sealant blocking up the valve cores over time.

One ride in and I purposely bashed the rear into roots, rock gardens and mistimed landings.
No rim damage, no snake bites either. It's not as damped as the Kflex but that may be because I've more air in it.

I'll play around with air pressures but so far I'm very happy with it. It'd be great to kiss sealant goodbye as I hate that stuff getting everywhere.

animalman86

Likes Bikes
How heavy are you, and what bike, and what kind of trails? I've noticed some larger riders who ride really aggressively punish their tyres way more than they realise, and it sounds like you're had waaay to many punctures for it to be just bad luck. Though I would have thought DD casing would help more than it did.

I run a Maxxis Aggressor 2.5 WT DD on the rear. With Cushcore in the rear. Pressure in the low 20s. Highly rate it, and really like the larger volume tyre. Not as fast rolling as a Minion SS but way better than a regular Minion DHF or DHR.
I've raced it at Falls Creek a few times, ridden at Buller, Bright, no punctures, no flats, no sidewall tears.
FWIW I'm quite light, only 71kg, on a 2018 Norco Range.
I'm 78kg and on a Pole Stamina 140. A lot of rocky/loose over hard trails. I have heard good things about the 2.5 aggressor. I might try that one next.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!
I'm 78kg and on a Pole Stamina 140. A lot of rocky/loose over hard trails. I have heard good things about the 2.5 aggressor. I might try that one next.

I’m 90kg. Run a CC and the Aggressor whilst I liked it got the most tears and punctures of the usual suspects I’ve tried over time. I found a couple of old aggressors in the shed the other day and the amount of bacon strips hanging out of them could have made me a nice bacon brekkie.
I don’t rate it for balls to the wall riding on rocky trails like you seem to be riding.

danncam

Likes Dirt
Tried the Tannus armour tubeless out at Red Hill on the weekend, run in the rear at 21 psi, felt great, well supported when cornering and safer over the rocky bits of trail. I am still not going to bother putting one in the front.

goobags

Likes Dirt

I have sliced two aggressors and a mate did one recently. EXO casing, not saying they’re a bad tyre I rate them, but never sliced open tyres like I have Agressors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I have sliced two aggressors and a mate did one recently. EXO casing, not saying they’re a bad tyre I rate them, but never sliced open tyres like I have Agressors

And yet I've run an EXO Aggressor on the rear and have had no issues on our shitty, rocky trails. I'm running an EXO Dissector now and am just as happy with that too

goobags

Likes Dirt
And yet I've run an EXO Aggressor on the rear and have had no issues on our shitty, rocky trails. I'm running an EXO Dissector now and am just as happy with that too
I’m currently running an old spare DHF on the back so will look at the Dissector

petertronica

Likes Dirt
EXO casing is too thin, especially on the rear. EXO+ is better and I find it's ok for the front. DD is betterer.

goobags

Likes Dirt
EXO casing is too thin, especially on the rear. EXO+ is better and I find it's ok for the front. DD is betterer.
I’m generally not too rough on tyres, weigh in just shy of 80kg so not exactly a big rig. Got talked into a cushcore so I’ll see how that goes. Not sure how much that will help with slicing a tyre though. Last mate who sliced an EXO aggressor had cushcore but he runs super low pressures and weighs a fair bit more than me

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Just got some Hunt Enduro Wide wheels and poped some rimpact originals into the cart as they were only $30.

I've tried the ARD and whilst those were good, the stretching wasn't inspiring confidence in the product.

The rimpacts were a lot harder to install than the ARD's I dunno whether its because the wheels I installed them on were 33mm as a opposed to 30mm or what but I had to use tyre levers for the rimpacts which i haven't had to do for the ARD's. Hopefully that equates to better side wall stiffness.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ride two on the Tannus armour inserts for inner tubes. Dropped about 5 PSI and hit the trails. They are quite excellent. Gives some of the damping and firms up the tyre sidewalls well. This is on a Bontrager XR4 2.4 tyre. They're very supple and squirm if underinflated normally.

Definitely worth the investment. I can imagine Cushcore might be better but I'm tired of tubeless due to the sealant mess.

Final and full judgement will be reserved for a You Yang's ride. That's where I do rim damage if I'm going to experience it.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Ride two on the Tannus armour inserts for inner tubes. Dropped about 5 PSI and hit the trails. They are quite excellent. Gives some of the damping and firms up the tyre sidewalls well. This is on a Bontrager XR4 2.4 tyre. They're very supple and squirm if underinflated normally.

Definitely worth the investment. I can imagine Cushcore might be better but I'm tired of tubeless due to the sealant mess.

Final and full judgement will be reserved for a You Yang's ride. That's where I do rim damage if I'm going to experience it.
I ordered some of these, but I didn't realise they were for the plus size and wouldn't fit in a 2.5.

I was on the fence with what to do with them, but now you're making me keen to send them back and get the right size.

What size tubes are you using and what size tyres?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They're well worth it in my view.

Tubes are 1.95 - 2.2 if I recall correctly.
The tyre I'm using is a 2.4" Bontrager XR4.
This is on a Nukeproof Horizon rim 29mm internal diameter.

Ridiculously easy to fit / install. No swearing or skinned / strained hands.

goobags

Likes Dirt
First ride on rear cushcore today. Didn’t notice any difference. Rode with 26psi rather than 27psi in the back. Didn’t notice extra support or any extra damping that others claim. Will see if I notice anything on further rides. Not unhappy with it though

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
First ride on rear cushcore today. Didn’t notice any difference. Rode with 26psi rather than 27psi in the back. Didn’t notice extra support or any extra damping that others claim. Will see if I notice anything on further rides. Not unhappy with it though

I’m in the same boat as you. There may be some benefit but after a quite a few rides, it’s still not jumping out at me...

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Just got some Hunt Enduro Wide wheels and poped some rimpact originals into the cart as they were only $30.

I've tried the ARD and whilst those were good, the stretching wasn't inspiring confidence in the product.

The rimpacts were a lot harder to install than the ARD's I dunno whether its because the wheels I installed them on were 33mm as a opposed to 30mm or what but I had to use tyre levers for the rimpacts which i haven't had to do for the ARD's. Hopefully that equates to better side wall stiffness.
Would be interested in your thoughts on the Hunts. I’m running enduro wide in the rear and Trail wide in the front. I like them and have had great customer support when I needed it but I’ve recently managed a few dings in the rear. Not convinced on their alloy mix

PJO

in me vL comy
Try dropping another 5psi. And then after that drop some more... You'll find a sweet spot.

I'm riding 14-15psi on the rear on a 2.8" Rekon. Hardtail though so that may be a difference, no way I could run the low a pressure without squirm or slamming the rim without cushcore.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Try dropping another 5psi. And then after that drop some more... You'll find a sweet spot.

I'm riding 14-15psi on the rear on a 2.8" Rekon. Hardtail though so that may be a difference, no way I could run the low a pressure without squirm or slamming the rim without cushcore.
I’ll eat my words if this statement is proved false but no way I would run another 5psi less. It would be less than my front tyre then. After spanking a decent amount on new rim, spokes, wheel build and cushcore after smashing a carbon rim at 27psi I’m definitely hesitant. Used to run 25psi in the rear everywhere until riding real berms then upped it to 27psi which stopped squirm. Can’t imagine a bit of closed cell foam I going to make up the support that 6psi adds.

FWIW 2.8s are a different beast. I also run 27psi in my 29er hardtail (bike in question is 27.5). The concept of running lower pressures on a hardtail is backwards

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Would be interested in your thoughts on the Hunts. I’m running enduro wide in the rear and Trail wide in the front. I like them and have had great customer support when I needed it but I’ve recently managed a few dings in the rear. Not convinced on their alloy mix
That's worrying, I got them so I wouldn't dent them. Are you running inserts?