Tyre inserts - Tried them yet?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Would be interested in your thoughts on the Hunts. I’m running enduro wide in the rear and Trail wide in the front. I like them and have had great customer support when I needed it but I’ve recently managed a few dings in the rear. Not convinced on their alloy mix
Likewise, I was thinking of a pair to replace my Nukeproof Horizons. Alloy seemed decent enough as I didn't want to have to go with carbon. I'm really enjoying my Hope Fortus 30 wheels though on another bike but what I want is out of stock.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ll eat my words if this statement is proved false but no way I would run another 5psi less. It would be less than my front tyre then. After spanking a decent amount on new rim, spokes, wheel build and cushcore after smashing a carbon rim at 27psi I’m definitely hesitant. Used to run 25psi in the rear everywhere until riding real berms then upped it to 27psi which stopped squirm. Can’t imagine a bit of closed cell foam I going to make up the support that 6psi adds.

FWIW 2.8s are a different beast. I also run 27psi in my 29er hardtail (bike in question is 27.5). The concept of running lower pressures on a hardtail is backwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They're not infallible, and you're right to be cautious especially when running carbon rims.

If you can try different pressures you might land on a nice set up where you feel the difference.

The support is there but depends upon lots of factors, tyres, weight, riding style, trail conditions...

At near 100kgs riding weight, I absolutely could feel the benefit and protection of Kflex when I ran it but I still dented my alloy rims at the You Yangs.

I never ride my carbon wheeled bike there so can't attest to it.

The Tannus armour inserts are better and easier to live with. Really supportive and I've bashed the hell out of this rear wheel (hence looking at a replacement) but have had no additional dents since trying it.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
That's worrying, I got them so I wouldn't dent them. Are you running inserts?
I’ve over stated it. The ‘dings’ are small dents and scratches. Nothing that has changed the bead bed significantly or effected the rim. It’s just that I change between the enduro wheel and another wheel I have built up with a Stans Flow rim and generally ride them on similar terrain. It seems the Hunts has picked up a few small dints and scratches while the Flow is unaffected. Could just be coincidence...

Edit: I picked up the small scratches and dents before starting to use the cushcore. Not sure if I’ve added any Damage since then

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I’ve over stated it. The ‘dings’ are small dents and scratches. Nothing that has changed the bead bed significantly or effected the rim. It’s just that I change between the enduro wheel and another wheel I have built up with a Stans Flow rim and generally ride them on similar terrain. It seems the Hunts has picked up a few small dints and scratches while the Flow is unaffected. Could just be coincidence...

Edit: I picked up the small scratches and dents before starting to use the cushcore. Not sure if I’ve added any Damage since then
Ah fair.
I'm a heavy guy and figured I'd would just start out on inserts in this wheelset.
I'll let you know how I go, taking it out to you yangs to dial the suspension in soon.

PJO

in me vL comy
I’ll eat my words if this statement is proved false but no way I would run another 5psi less. It would be less than my front tyre then. After spanking a decent amount on new rim, spokes, wheel build and cushcore after smashing a carbon rim at 27psi I’m definitely hesitant. Used to run 25psi in the rear everywhere until riding real berms then upped it to 27psi which stopped squirm. Can’t imagine a bit of closed cell foam I going to make up the support that 6psi adds.

FWIW 2.8s are a different beast. I also run 27psi in my 29er hardtail (bike in question is 27.5). The concept of running lower pressures on a hardtail is backwards
Can understand why you would be hesitant.

I used to run 25psi on a 2.3" 29er tyre in the back of the hardtail, any lower and I would hear the dreaded ping of the rim. Switching to 27plus in the rear before cushcore 25psi was too much, worked my way down to 20psi, any lower and the squirm was too much and I felt like I was going to roll the tyre off the rim, especially on the pump track or berms. Cushcore seemed to have stopped that feeling and I've been slowly dropping the pressure. I'm running a 29er 2.4" at 20psi on the front.

As for running a softer rear, it may seem odd but it is nicer to hit anything rough and the back end just soaks it up and doesn't try to buck you off as much as before. I ran my relatively skinny 29x2.3 at Maydena this year and had really sore feet after 4 runs. I'm going back early in the new year and think I'll end up in better shape with the softer rear tyre.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Can understand why you would be hesitant.

I used to run 25psi on a 2.3" 29er tyre in the back of the hardtail, any lower and I would hear the dreaded ping of the rim. Switching to 27plus in the rear before cushcore 25psi was too much, worked my way down to 20psi, any lower and the squirm was too much and I felt like I was going to roll the tyre off the rim, especially on the pump track or berms. Cushcore seemed to have stopped that feeling and I've been slowly dropping the pressure. I'm running a 29er 2.4" at 20psi on the front.

As for running a softer rear, it may seem odd but it is nicer to hit anything rough and the back end just soaks it up and doesn't try to buck you off as much as before. I ran my relatively skinny 29x2.3 at Maydena this year and had really sore feet after 4 runs. I'm going back early in the new year and think I'll end up in better shape with the softer rear tyre.
I don’t ride my hardtail for comfort and don’t ride it gently either. If I’m busting a rim at 27psi with 140mm travel then I’m sure as shit going to blow it to pieces with zero travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Would be interested in your thoughts on the Hunts. I’m running enduro wide in the rear and Trail wide in the front. I like them and have had great customer support when I needed it but I’ve recently managed a few dings in the rear. Not convinced on their alloy mix
So I've finally got a ride on them.
I'm a heavy guy, 100kg + 24kg bike, usually if I'm going to ding a rim it'll happen on the first ride at Cressy, didn't happen this time.
I am running DD + rimpact inserts and 28psi for reference, maybe I could drop the psi but its probably not necessary.
Not really a great review of the rim tbh as I'm giving it the best chance of surviving anyone's realistically going to give it, but hey they work as wheels just fine so far. Also a fan of the tyre profile on the 33mm rims, better grip than I was used to, but it was hero dirt today.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I don’t ride my hardtail for comfort and don’t ride it gently either. If I’m busting a rim at 27psi with 140mm travel then I’m sure as shit going to blow it to pieces with zero travel.
It’s not just about comfort, it’s also about grip. High-20s in the rear on the hardtail is going to be skipping and skidding constantly. Riding a hardtail isn’t the same as riding a 140mm bike, if you ride them the same on rough/rocky trails for example then you’ll be destroying rims no matter what you do.

To your original point, you won’t notice the additional benefits of the insert if you’re running pressures high enough, in which case the insert becomes an insurance policy. It’s at lower pressures that they become part of the equation for grip/sidewall support/damping. There’s not necessarily a right/wrong option as it will depend on trail conditions/riding style etc - you mentioned “proper berms”, so you’re likely to want to be running higher pressures to keep tyres on rims rather than looking for the lowest pressures possible for grip (which is where a lot of people like inserts because it compensates for the resultant floppy tyre).

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After a puncture sealant wouldn't fix on the trail I decided to ditch the Kflex in the Paradox rear wheel and insert Tannus armour inserts plus a tube.

It's leaps and bounds better, and well worth it.
If you're on the fence then get some. The ones for tubes are excellent. Easy to install and really protect the wheel. I found the pressures could be dropped and it increases comfort and grip.

No downside as far as I can see.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
After a puncture sealant wouldn't fix on the trail I decided to ditch the Kflex in the Paradox rear wheel and insert Tannus armour inserts plus a tube.

If you're on the fence then get some. The ones for tubes are excellent. Easy to install and really protect the wheel. I found the pressures could be dropped and it increases comfort and grip.

Only downside is even further rolling weight but do you notice it when trail riding?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Could be an option for my next set of wheels. Certainly easier than faffing with sealant and valve cores!
I've always had a lovw / hate relationship with sealant and the mess it can make, even when one tries to be tidy.

This seems a lot easier and I'm very happy with the results.

moorey

call me Mia
I've always had a lovw / hate relationship with sealant and the mess it can make, even when one tries to be tidy.

This seems a lot easier and I'm very happy with the results.
I don’t understand the mess issues. Never had any....aside from the time i overinflated trying to get the bead to pop out....still sploodge on the kitchen walls.

Minlak

custom titis
I don’t understand the mess issues. Never had any....aside from the time i overinflated trying to get the bead to pop out....still sploodge on the kitchen walls.
The “sploodge” on the kitchen walls I thought had more to do with the love of the oven?

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Running some for the first time now,

Took a punt on the relatively new Nukeproof Horizon V2s that came with ARD inserts , $620 ( was after faster engaging hubs without spending too much , spank hex hubs with nukeproof branding , 102 points of engagement )

Only a few rides in , very impressed with the overall improvement

Scotty675

Cable thief

How low pressure are you getting away with, with tube/insert?