Tyre inserts - Tried them yet?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
So any new updates on people's experiences with inserts?

I'm looking at -

Vittoria - Pricey just for one, heavy, indestructible
Tannus - Pricey just for one, same weight as a tube, good sidewall support
Rimpact - Light, good trail feel, only come in pairs, can't buy from Australia
EXO+ or DD tyres

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I bought a Rimpact mixed set a while back @HamboCairns. Put the Pro in the rear before the Falls Creek race, in a new Dissector EXO (not plus - there was no stock at the time). I really like it. It was really easy to install (none of the nightmares people describe with Cushcore), it's very supportive (can feel it supporting the sidewalls of the 2.4" tyre) and has a nice damping effect. I'm now running the rear at 22psi same as the front (no front insert) rather than having to have it up around 28-29 to keep the rim alive.

Haven't decided yet whether to put the Original in the back of the XC bike or sell it.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn

I'm looking at -

EXO+ or DD tyres
Yes, they're cunts. It's the closest I think I'm come to having a stroke trying to fit (and failing) an ARD and then Tannus. I'm going to pay my LBS to try next time I'm up that way.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Yes, they're cunts. It's the closest I think I'm come to having a stroke trying to fit (and failing) an ARD and then Tannus. I'm going to pay my LBS to try next time I'm up that way.
What ID on your rims?
ARD you can install by hand.
Rimpact was slightly harder than ard but still doable by hand.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have Rimpact standard front and rear (Assegai 2.5 EXO front, Dissector 2.4 EXO rear on 30mm ID rims), very happy. Easy enough to install, though definitely need levers to get tyre off (Cushcore beadpopper I can highly recommend!). More lateral support than Nukeproof ARD, lower pressures and more comfort as a result, and i've yet to have even a puncture despite plowing the bike through rock gardens at every chance I get. As a bonus, delivery from UK(?) was surprisingly fast. Do rate.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
What ID on your rims?
ARD you can install by hand.
Rimpact was slightly harder than ard but still doable by hand.
No you fucking can't. I mean no you can't..... Well, not on my 29mm ID Bontrager Carbon rim you can't. I have a case of wine for you if you can drive over to my house and install either the ARD or Tannus and get the tyre back on by hand.

HamboCairns

I bought a Rimpact mixed set a while back @HamboCairns. Put the Pro in the rear before the Falls Creek race, in a new Dissector EXO (not plus - there was no stock at the time). I really like it. It was really easy to install (none of the nightmares people describe with Cushcore), it's very supportive (can feel it supporting the sidewalls of the 2.4" tyre) and has a nice damping effect. I'm now running the rear at 22psi same as the front (no front insert) rather than having to have it up around 28-29 to keep the rim alive.

Haven't decided yet whether to put the Original in the back of the XC bike or sell it.
Do you think an Original Rimpact will be ok for the rear? I think I got unlucky with the DHR II (I don't trust my tyre now) and that was just an EXO so maybe an Original Rimpact in an EXO+ will be better than nothing?

If you do sell, I might be interested in buying! DM me if you decide to and I'll see how I'm tracking. Are you running 27.5" or 29"? I'm running 29".

Oop just saw Isaakk's post, looks like it will be just fine.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Do you think an Original Rimpact will be ok for the rear? I think I got unlucky with the DHR II (I don't trust my tyre now) and that was just an EXO so maybe an Original Rimpact in an EXO+ will be better than nothing?
I think it'd be more than fine. Maybe less lateral support than the Pro (the higher-density layer on the top of the pro is noticeably harder to deform) but still a nice barrier to protect the rim and certainly more supportive than nothing or the flat Huck Norris-style inserts.

RE: your tyre, it didn't look like a pinch flat from memory? Wasn't the hole right in the tread? In which case the insert won't do anything to prevent something sharp cutting through the tyre in most cases. EXO+ might help though yes.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
RE: your tyre, it didn't look like a pinch flat from memory? Wasn't the hole right in the tread? In which case the insert won't do anything to prevent something sharp cutting through the tyre in most cases. EXO+ might help though yes.
Ahem... ^^^ this ^^^

He also bought a Rekon as a replacement for the DHR II for more strength... o_O

danncam

Likes Dirt

I'm looking at -

EXO+ or DD tyres
the general online warble is to go with Tannus armour tubeless ( https://nsmb.com/articles/should-you-tire-insert-pros-and-cons/ )
Personally, I am very happy with my Tannus running out back, (but have never tried any other insert). I have noticed many saying the tannus lasts better than cc.

HamboCairns

He also bought a Rekon as a replacement for the DHR II for more strength
I bought a Rekon EXO+, the DHR II (just EXO) is really draggy and as it's torn now, I thought I'd try it out. If it's really bad I can put the DHF (also an EXO+!) on the back.

Also, I figure I was just unlucky so in my mind it could have happened even if I'd had a DHR II DD.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Bit of a follow up from some of my earlier comments. Went to Thredbo on my 160f/140r 27.5 bike with a cushcore in the back. Usually ride 22psi front and 27psi in the rear. About 3 runs and and the bike just wasn’t feeling right in the back, really squirmy, plenty of traction but I was nervous about my brand new rim I was running as it felt like I had a flat tyre - to the point I stopped and pumped up the rear. After a couple more runs my mate ended up telling me his gauge is 3psi out so 19psi front and 24psi rear. Pumped them back up to the usual and good to go.

Not sure how people don’t notice a 10% change in tyre pressure even with a cushcore. Will I take it out? No, but my mind might be changed when I need a new back tyre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Not sure how people don’t notice a 10% change in tyre pressure even with a cushcore. Will I take it out? No, but my mind might be changed when I need a new back tyre.
We do, we were just running pressures 10-15% higher than desired before.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I caved a little while back and got some CC for the Spitfire. I've had Huck Norris in the past & was underwhelmed. I still managed to wreck a rim at Thredbo through a Rock Garden on what I would consider a hard but not outrageous hit. The sort of thing I wouldn't be surprised to ding a rim on without protection, but what I had hoped it would protect against. No change in ride feel was discernable either, meaning I ran pretty much the same pressures as normal (25F / 28R).

First impressions on the CushCore though are definitely different. I dropped pressure to 23F/25R and noticed a distinct improvement. I can still feel the tire move due to the lower pressure, but without the unstable wobble I felt without the CC. The overarching feeling for me was just that there was extra traction to be had and I could confidently use it. So you can feel the 10% change in pressure, but the way it's felt is different with or without the CC to me at least.

I've yet to take a hit big enough to make any claims about protection, but I'm hoping it's there. I seem to have a knack for careening into rock gardens like a total pork chop and wrecking rims.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I bought a Rekon EXO+, the DHR II (just EXO) is really draggy and as it's torn now, I thought I'd try it out. If it's really bad I can put the DHF (also an EXO+!) on the back.

Also, I figure I was just unlucky so in my mind it could have happened even if I'd had a DHR II DD.
Fair points. I'm one of the rare folk that isn't a fan of the DHR II anyway - but in terms of casing feel the EXO DHR II casing it is (IMO) as stiff/strong as the EXO+ Rekon. Worth an experiment for sure if you want to try something faster rolling though.

Maxxis's EXO casing are a bit tricky like that though to be fair, the EXO casing on my Rekon Races are nowhere near as stiff/strong as on the DHF EXO, and the EXO Aggressors are even meatier again, and then if you jump to a DD Aggressor - they are pretty darn chonky but feel really supportive.

If you don't get on with the Rekon, try an Aggressor IMO. Good all-rounder. They roll well (faster than they look like due to the harder "dual compound" rubber), have reasonable grip. Generally the complaints against them are that they can be a bit sketchy on the brakes on clay (either hardpack dry, or wet and slippery), and just are not great in mud generally as they tend to clog up. But they're a blast in the dry and a good companion for longer rides as they don't suffer that 'rolling through treacle' feel, and aren't weak like a XC or lightweight trail tyre.