Tyre inserts - Tried them yet?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Fair points. I'm one of the rare folk that isn't a fan of the DHR II anyway - but in terms of casing feel the EXO DHR II casing it is (IMO) as stiff/strong as the EXO+ Rekon. Worth an experiment for sure if you want to try something faster rolling though.

Maxxis's EXO casing are a bit tricky like that though to be fair, the EXO casing on my Rekon Races are nowhere near as stiff/strong as on the DHF EXO, and the EXO Aggressors are even meatier again, and then if you jump to a DD Aggressor - they are pretty darn chonky but feel really supportive.

If you don't get on with the Rekon, try an Aggressor IMO. Good all-rounder. They roll well (faster than they look like due to the harder "dual compound" rubber), have reasonable grip. Generally the complaints against them are that they can be a bit sketchy on the brakes on clay (either hardpack dry, or wet and slippery), and just are not great in mud generally as they tend to clog up. But they're a blast in the dry and a good companion for longer rides as they don't suffer that 'rolling through treacle' feel, and aren't weak like a XC or lightweight trail tyre.
Good write up!

One thing to bear in mind and the same goes for the inserts too, I notice a lot of riders talk about You Yangs and Thredbo etc which I assume is a lot of bike park/shuttle type riding? My riding is a lot slower, more technical XC/trail so I'm trying to avoid that boat anchor feeling. That said if both the Rekon and the DHF fail on me then I'm going medieval (DD Aggressor) as clearly a heavy bastard on a hardtail is a bad recipe for any non-DH tyre!

Petero

Likes Dirt
As a note, my EXO DHR2 had sidewall weeps from the get go, it has been gashed by rocks (still holds thanks to sealant though).

I've only ever pinched a tube, not a tyre and I've run fairly low pressures (low 20s) and am 100+kg fitted. I don't go super hard, but I also don't do line choice.

For my next tyre, I'd buy an EXO+ or DD casing to prevent the tears (pun intended) before I looked at rim protection.
FYI:
DHR2 - EXO TR - 955g
DHR2 - EXO+ TR - 1010g (+55g)
DHR2 - EXO TR DD - 1176g (+221g)

Compare these or add them to the inserts... If you're really worried about damaging a rim or run super low pressures go for it.

For my riding, I can't see how it's worth the extra $ and weight, maybe the sidewall support is that much of a benefit?
Does it feel like the tyre holds up better (less draggy) on the flat and climbs?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
For my riding, I can't see how it's worth the extra $ and weight, maybe the sidewall support is that much of a benefit?
Does it feel like the tyre holds up better (less draggy) on the flat and climbs?
From my limited experience, the extra sidewall support when cornering is the most noticeable. Being able to run slightly lower pressures for more grip, but actually get a little more sidewall support than non-insert and higher pressures. Very limited experience in my case though as I've only tried CushCore on a mate's bike that's too small for me.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
DD before inserts.

I’d only run inserts if I started denting rims too often(ok I’d run them if I cared about denting rims too often and stopped being able to pull them out with a shifter).
Sidewall tears are solved with heavier casings.
Holes in the tread is bad luck.

Spend that money consumable replacements. It’s only a rim, she’ll be right, right?

Last edited:

slowmick

38-39"
I have 30mm carbon rims on my enduro so before i headed to NZ i put cushcore liners in front and rear and DD aggressor rear tyre in the hope that the wheels would last the week. The cushcore was hard to get on the first time (needed to use the handle of a hammer to stretch it over the rim. It was easy to remove by hand and levers when i shat the freehub in NZ. It has been easy to change ever since. I don't have enough feel for the bike to tell if it changes the way the bike rides. I can say that I have ridden the bike a couple of times where the rear tyre felt a big draggy and when I hooked up the pump there was not enough pressure to register on the gauge. While the carbon rims have taken a beating with the dd aggressor and cushcore the spare aluminium rim I ran for 6 months looks like a 50 cent piece. It was a second hand wheel when i got it but i don't think it had any straight lines on the rim. while they make the bike heavy as fuck when loading the car they help the bike become freight train with gravity on your side. Probably wouldn't buy again - but then wouldn't buy carbon rim either.

SDA

Likes Dirt
Ordered a Tannus Tubeless earlier today to run with a Dissector Exo+ on the rear. How much psi do people drop with a Tannus Tubeless insert? 2-3psi?

Currently running a SG Hans Dampf at 23psi and have previously run Minion Exo and Exo+ at 24psi with a Huck Norris.

Last edited:

danncam

Likes Dirt
Ordered a Tannus Tubeless earlier today to run with a Dissector Exo+ on the rear. How much psi do people drop with a Tannus Tubeless insert? 2-3psi?

Currently running a SG Hans Dampf at 23psi and have previously run Minion Exo and Exo+ at 24psi with a Huck Norris.
I dropped 3-4 psi

Reactions: SDA

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
If you don't get on with the Rekon, try an Aggressor IMO.
I went for my first ride on the Rekons and damn they're fast! I'll see how I go with the rear Rekon EXO+ but if I don't get on with it for any reason then the Aggressor is on the list!

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The DD aggressor is now my go to rear tire. Rolls OK. Grips OK. Doesn't tear when it hits rocks. Run the 2.3 size for pedally stuff and 2.5 for rocky big boy riding. To be fair the DD aggressor does nothing particularly spectacularly, apart from not tearing and generally holding air inside it.

moorey

call me Mia
The DD aggressor is now my go to rear tire. Rolls OK. Grips OK. Doesn't tear when it hits rocks. Run the 2.3 size for pedally stuff and 2.5 for rocky big boy riding. To be fair the DD aggressor does nothing particularly spectacularly, apart from not tearing and generally holding air inside it.
It’s a great compromise for most situations indeed.
I still bang on a DHR2 for racing, but love the aggressor for almost everything else.
Compared it to a dissector?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I still bang on a DHR2 for racing, but love the aggressor for almost everything else.
Yes. I prefer the Dissector. I think it grips better on cornering

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Dissector front and aggressor rear atm, can confirm dissector lets go after aggressor.

Rolls about the sameish I reckon. Possibly aggressor is slightly better?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dissector front and aggressor rear atm, can confirm dissector lets go after aggressor.

I'd say Aggressor rolls just slightly better, but the Dissector definitely hooks up better in corners and also has noticeably better climbing/breaking traction. Downside is that the Dissector wears moderately faster on the centre tread, and much faster on the side. 200ks in & practically all the side knobs were 1/2 torn off on the 2.4 MaxxTerra I was running.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn

Certainly waaaay faster than the butcher I'm currently running on the rear....

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haven't pulled the trigger on the dissector yet. Been flirting with the exo+ 2.4 for a rear but they are bullshit pricey and stock doesn't seem to exist. I'm a bit reluctant to run the DH casing dissector as its 100g more than the aggressor (which already is sluggish AF in the 2.5)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Cushcore or Procore ?

Thinking about the Procore as its easier fitted and its 52% off at BikeComponents.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Cushcore or Procore ?

Thinking about the Procore as its easier fitted and its 52% off at BikeComponents.

Rimpact. Lighter and better than both.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk