Tyre Plugs/Patching Tubeless

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi All,

Did a bit of a search but couldn't really find what I was looking for although I thought these was a thread a while ago...anyway... I have a tyre with a split/puncture courtesy of a rock and a lack of jumping skill. Sealant hasn't sealed it, doesn't look huge, what's people's experience is it worth trying to patch/plug or just get a new one. Minion I'd say 60ish% tread left. If it is what has everyone found most effective.

On the plus side this is my first puncture since going tubeless 4+ years ago!

Attachments

Flow-Rider

Burner
You have two options, you can plug it or stitch it with braided fishing line and place a patch on the inside. I normally use a thick amount of urethane glue on the patch but it takes about a week to cure. Just using the glue that comes with tube patches seems to come off after a while from the tubeless sealant getting under them. I've had great success with the cheap becon strips and they last the life of the tyre.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Another vote for cheap basic patch on the inside, although ive never had a problem with the basic patch glue.

I've never tried to sew a hole in the tread area, but have sewed up cuts in the sidewall - I used linen thread through, similar flex characteristics to the casing threads is my theory and they've held.

Its a good opportunity to take off the tyre and clean out all the sealant snot thats built up :)

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have had success sewing/patching/plugging holes on the front but not much luck on the rear.. I used bacon strips the first time but whenever that part of the tyre hit rocks/braking it got ripped out and opened up again. That was on a maxxis forekaster that has an open tread pattern. No many knobs in the way of the carcass. Suppose it’s the size of the hole that is the issue, when I punctured the tyre was flat in an instant. No chance of getting a plug in. I think when it’s that big the tyre is pretty rooted..

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
if its a big hole you can goto an auto store and buy the big plugs for 4wd's, I bought some slime ones - helped me fix a longer gash in a tyre [did take a while to get it in the tyre, had to make hole a bit bigger]. there are cheap tyre kits on eBay now for $15 with a sml needle -seem to work ok -fixed a cross tyre of mine

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Did I reply to this same post on fakebook earlier....

Anyhoo... clean off the sealant and shit, alcohol wipe, sandpaper, alcohol wipe, then treat like a tube, it will last the life of the tyre... you will retire the old girl and look at the 2-3 patches inside her and wonder where they were from.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A standard tube patch on the inside will work.

How are those corner knobs so virgin like?
Either because I am riding in soft virgin loam or because I don't lean over much because I am nowhere near as hard core a rider as I would like to be....so hard to tell which it is....

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Plugged the hole, not overly convinced with my job but was going to trial itand then realised still another slow leak and found a hole in the sidewall right down next to the bead. I thought maybe it was struggling to seal against a very small dent (maybe not even a dent) so threw a different tyre on which sealed up fine even without sealant. Checked the Minion and fund said hole so have binned it but now I have a plug kit! Where is the best (read cheapest) place to pick up a new minion these days?