Tyre pressure: 75kg, Trance X2, for Yarra trails?

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
I'm a new MTBer who has just got a Giant Trance X2. I've read about the suggested starting point for suspension setup, but can't find much for noobs on tyre pressure.

I let a bit of air out on my last ride, and felt I was getting better traction than at the pressure it left the shop at. But how low should I go? (I'm a roadie used to 100psi)

75kg, riding on trails along the Yarra in inner Melbourne. Won't be doing big air. Prefer not to fix flats every ride!

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
I'm a new MTBer who has just got a Giant Trance X2. I've read about the suggested starting point for suspension setup, but can't find much for noobs on tyre pressure.

I let a bit of air out on my last ride, and felt I was getting better traction than at the pressure it left the shop at. But how low should I go? (I'm a roadie used to 100psi)

75kg, riding on trails along the Yarra in inner Melbourne. Won't be doing big air. Prefer not to fix flats every ride!
do you like to role fast or get good traction?

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
Traction

At this point - at least until my confidence and skills improve - I'm after traction.

But I'm not keen on too many flats or damaged rims.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I run between 35 - 40psi in my crossmarks ... I hate flats ... don't have problems with traction ... and need all the assistance I can get re resistance :)

$$Noble$$

Likes Dirt
i am not to sure of the terrain at yarra but look on the side of your tyre run it a the lowest there for most traction. don't go to low on rocky condition or you will screw up your rims. also sorry if i am hi jacking your thread. i am running tubeless tyres. i use about 25 psi. it works great but i suffer from a bit or burping during corners. i there a sealant that you can put on the bead to stop it.

bumpygreen

Rate Cool
puffmoike - Yarra trails is a bit tame. Travel a bit further to Lysterfield or You Yangs. Lower pressures (down to mid 30's) give better traction but increase rolling resistance and the chance of pinch flats. Higher pressures reduce rolling resistance but decreses traction. Its a matter of finding the middle ground of traction vs resistance

Noble - Are you running UST tyres on UST rims? Im not sure if sealant will reduce the burping. Some tyres have a better rim/sidewall fit. Does this happen with all your tyre combinations? Are you running a large caseed tyre on a narrow rim?

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
puffmoike,

I'm about 78kg and ride a Giant Anthem along the Yarra trails a heap and run Michelin Drys (NOT Dry 2's) at around 40, even a bit higher. The tracks are pretty hard and flat so you can get away with a high PSI which is a bit more forgiving. I also have a lower presure in the front tyre fo better handling.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Coaster

vogmae

Likes Dirt
I ride the Yarra trails a lot (I live nearby) and still classify myself as a beginner. I have UST and weigh 70kg and have gone down to 25psi. Like you I have a road background (albeit 25 years ago) so it's been very hard to get my head around the idea that you would ride on anything but "hard as you can pump em tyres". I generally ride them softer rather than harder for the handling, though am looking to shift from the crossmarks on the front just to experience something else (it's all I've ridden).

I think the advice from $$Noble$$ of using the lowest recommended pressure is a very good place from which to begin. Along the yarra I don't think you should pinch flat but if you do feel the rim meeting some roots, then I reckon you'd pretty quickly figure out to add a few more psi :)

Dug

Likes Dirt
All a personal preference
Me; Pump em up hard and let a bit out at a time untill they feel tooooo squishy and put a bit back.. Trail , yes i said TRAIL and error.. If you get what I'm on about.....;)

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm 80kg and ride mine as low as 20psi. They've proven nice and puncture resistant so far. If you're worried about punctures, I'd also ensure you're not running flimsy ultra-light XC tubes too - just get some nice heavy duty ones and they should serve you well.

stu.111

Likes Bikes
Im 105kg and run my front tyre at 30psi and my back at 35psi, my rims are still true and never had a puncture so far........................... but having said that Id say Ive just jinxed myself and things are gona change.

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm 98kg's on a Trance X2 as well. I swapped the stock Michelin dunger tyres for Kenda Small Block 8's run at 45psi on the rear and 40 on the front....i would probably run even higher on the Yarra trails....my last ride there i wanted 50psi in the back and 45 front to go faster. 5 inches front and back on the Trance means you can run pretty high pressures on smoother trails like the Yarra stuff and still be fine.