Tyre rubs on fork

nathanm

Eats Squid
So i put some new 2.35 Hans Dampf tyres on the useless girlfriends bike and it rubs on the fork lowers just where the arch joins. Apparently they're big for the size so no biggie.

So stole the high roller 2.3 of my Stumpy but it still touches, just.

It looks like the wheel is offset/dished too far to the disc side of the fork as there's definitely a bigger gap than to the other side.

The forks are older RS recons

Can I change the hub (slx) spacing, add washers or something to centre it more or will I need to get a lbs to redish the wheel or do I just need a new fork, which I'm thinking of doing anyway but 9mm qr, 100/120mm 26" decent forks are getting pretty rare.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Dishing, fixing and building wheels are a good thing to know. Definitely well worth teaching yourself.

Might as well have a go, at the worst case, you may end up at the shop anyway.

YouTube is full of vids on this.

SummitFever

Eats Squid

T-Rex

Template denier
So i put some new 2.35 Hans Dampf tyres on the useless girlfriends bike
I'm not clear on what the problem is here, the girlfriend or the bike? The issue may be able to be resolved with some relationship counselling.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Just redish yourself. Start with loosening all the ones in the rubbing side one turn, and tightening the other one turn. Do more if needed.
It's one thing I've never touched on bikes as I used to have a really excellent mechanic. Unfortunately they now charge me more than a genuine car dealership so will give it a crack, cheers

moorey

call me Mia
It’s not rocket surgery. Just keep it all even then true last bits at the end if needed.

PJO

in me vL comy
Did you make sure the wheel is sitting in the dropouts properly? And the dropouts are clean?

nathanm

Eats Squid
borderline confessions of a fuckwit outcome but...………………..

so I decided to have a crack at re-dishing the wheel as I just couldn't find a new fork and couldn't be forked swapping tyres and stuff around.

So leave wheel on bike, turn bike upside down and then couldn't remember if I was supposed to loosen all spokes or one at a time.

so I loosen one spoke a full turn, tighten the other a full turn, not sure if I'm going the right direction (are they left or right hand threaded) and work my way around the entire wheel to find that...………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...
the wheel was now perfectly centred in the fork and didn't even need truing and the 2.3 high roller fits perfectly.

So I'm a fuckwit for a) not knowing how to do this to start with and b) being a noob for even worrying about it being an issue giving it a crack myself.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Do did you check it wasn't the dropouts as opposed to the wheel dish? If its actually the dropouts like I posted earlier then you're still up for a possible trip to the fuckwits thread when you use the "re-dished" wheel in another fork...

nathanm

Eats Squid
Do did you check it wasn't the dropouts as opposed to the wheel dish? If its actually the dropouts like I posted earlier then you're still up for a possible trip to the fuckwits thread when you use the "re-dished" wheel in another fork...
Yes mate. Already had a wheel set for the bike which fit perfectly