Tyre seating on rims...

kgunzer

Likes Dirt
I changed to Maxxis Minions from my Maxxis High Rollers... I had a hard time fitting them in (brand new, tyres).

I couldn't get the tyres to get properly seated on the rims and they wiggle as if the wheels need tuning.

I deflated, reseated, tuned, re-inflated again but I just can't get the wiggle out.

Halp? :confused:

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Try some weak detergent/watermix around the bead, then inflate up to 60/65psi.....

What rims? UST or wire bead tyres?

kgunzer

Likes Dirt
Just got back yesterday and found out what was wrong. The rim tape was a little too thick and was competing with the wire bead of the Minions on the lip of the rim, causing it to displace in all sorts of directions.

Rim tape adjusted and seated properly, they're all sweet now. No tyre wiggles.

Found out another problem though... Very slow air leak... so slow, it won't show when you put the tube on water. A tyre inflated at 40PSI will deflate in about 11 hours if it gets unused. With use, it deflates faster...

Any ideas?

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got back yesterday and found out what was wrong. The rim tape was a little too thick and was competing with the wire bead of the Minions on the lip of the rim, causing it to displace in all sorts of directions.

Rim tape adjusted and seated properly, they're all sweet now. No tyre wiggles.

Found out another problem though... Very slow air leak... so slow, it won't show when you put the tube on water. A tyre inflated at 40PSI will deflate in about 11 hours if it gets unused. With use, it deflates faster...

Any ideas?
May be the valve, also try putting some slime in the tube, inflate and see if it oozes out...

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Any ideas?
I'm assuming you are running tubeless?
Are the tyres UST or non UST?

Non UST tyres have very porous sidewalls and will leak until sealant seals them.

kgunzer

Likes Dirt
Found the problem. A deformed Schraeder valve is the culprit.

I tried re-seating the rubber ring but still leaked. In desperation, I dabbed it some of the rubber tube goo and let it harden for a while. Had a tough time inflating the tube but now holds 40PSI...

Who would have thought that valves come corrupted :confused: