Tyre size differences front vs rear

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Been having a read of some tyre threads, and wondering what youse like in terms of tyre sizes - same at each end, bigger on the front, bigger on the back, or whatever you've got handy on the day etc
Forks seem to have more room than frames so I'm thinking bigger on the front when I feel the need/want to do bigger stuff than my local trails

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
As above. Common sense suggests rear should be bigger with more weight but other than the fatbike which runs 4.8s front and rear I am running 2.25 rear and 2.4 front and 2.1 rear and 2.25 front.

Minlak

custom titis
My hardtail I run 2.6 front and rear that’s because the tyres I like are 2.6. On the dual suspension I used to run a 2.4 Ardent front and a 2.2 Ardent Race rear. Now I run 2.35 each end as I like a different tyre that comes in that size. I think if you want a pooftinth of extra speed skinner faster rolling rear makes sense. If you are just a hack find a tyre you gel with and ride that. I have been through nearly as many “styles” of tyre as I have seats looking for what I gel with :)

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
For me it's 2.35 both ends coz it looks better.

Some roadie traits are hard to eradicate......

Tread pattern creates the grip difference for how I ride.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I typically run a 2.4 front and 2.2 or 2.25 rear. Front does so much more work so large volume allows lower pressure and more grip. 2.2 rear is lighter and faster rolling. Its like the best of both worlds.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On a steel hardtail 2.35 Ikon upfront and 2.25 ardent race behind. It’s been a while since I’ve ridden though so not sure but the big ikon was like luxury when I upgrade and the race gave good grip.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I ran Bontrager XR3 rear and XR4 front on the Trek, same nominal width but more aggressive tread on the 4. I would have put a 4 on the back when the 3 wore out.

Loving the High Roller 2's 2.3 on the current bike, will try a 2.4 on the front when I retire the rear.

I tend to find something I like and stick with it as suggested by @Minlak and make small changes, def agree on the lower pressure front but wouldn't like any less grip on the rear.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
My Evil has 29 x 2.5 Minion DHF WT front and 29 x 2.35 Minion DHF rear.
My XC race bikes, SS, HT ect... a mixed bag of Conti race kings, x kings, Maxxis Ardents, Ikons, Onza Ibex and Schwalbe. Always a wider or equal size on front and if different, the gripper tyre on the front.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Just about always bigger on front, also like the minIon SS, or wild grip’r For rear, big side & smaller good rolling centre

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
28c both ends on my roadie, they said 25c was the max, reckon there's 0.5mm between the rear wheel and the seat tube... AERO GAINZ !!!

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Depends where you ride, innit?

On my 29er I have Hans Dampf 2.35 front and rear, and that's plenty for where I ride it; mostly Eumeralla and Forrest. On my Norco Sight, which I ride mainly at the You Yangs where grip is a rare and precious commodity, I found switching the DHFII 2.3 up front to a 2.5 helped quite a lot. Still running a 2.3 SS out back, and that's all I need for You Yangs. I change the rear to my old DHFII when I go to somewhere steeper, like iRide, where I need all the braking grip I can get.

Last edited:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
always the same front and rear, usually the biggest I can into the frame
each tyre is doing a specific job
front for control and handling, and slowing you down
rear for smashing over stuff and steep braking duties to hold position