Tyre size, what's the whack on size change

safreek

Hi guys, looking at tyres at the moment.
My tyre size is 215x70x16, they are 130$ each, if I check out 215x60x16 I can save 30$ a tyre. Is there any reason that I can't do that, surely 10mm can't make that much difference. For reference I have a 97-98 rav, don't see why it needs a suv tyre when in reality it's just a small car.
Thanks for any help

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
My tyre size is 215x70x16, they are 130$ each, if I check out 215x60x16 I can save 30$ a tyre. Is there any reason that I can't do that, surely 10mm can't make that much difference. For reference I have a 97-98 rav, don't see why it needs a suv tyre when in reality it's just a small car.
Thanks for any help
Yeah, you can do it.

....'springs to mind:

• Ride height of the car will be lower by about 215mm x 10% = 21.5mm
  • Ride quality will be slightly harsher.
  • Speedo will read faster than actual vehicle speed
  • Acceleration might be a nano-particle better....but it's a Toyota so it doesn't actually generate acceleration.
  • Fuel economy might be better/worse depending where HP & Torque peaks in the rev range and how much time you spend in traffic vs highway.
  • You might get more street cred for your fooly sique mods bro!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If you want the car to remain roadworthy no you cannot!

99% sure that NSW has the same rules on tyres sizing as we do north of the border.

215/70 16 is 708mm in diameter while 215/60 16 is 664mm in diameter or 44mm smaller.

You are allowed -25mm or +15mm for a non 4wd vehicle and don't argue that the RAV is a 4wd, it is not brought into the country as an MC licensed vehicle.

If you don't car about roadworthiness or insurance go your hardest.

The 70 and 60 are profiles. 70% or 60% of width which is the sidewall height of the tyre. So the 60 profile is as @born-again-biker says is 22mm less sidewall. Speedo is -6%. Actual speed with the correct tyres is probably already 4 or 5% lower than the speedo is reading anyway. So 110 on the speedo would be probably 100 on the road with the 60 profile tyres. Comments by b-a-b are spot on. If you want 60 profile then go to a wider tyre, 235 at least if anyone makes one or go up to a 17" rim. Cheaper to put the right size on.

Have a play:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
16" is a shit size. I had a Pajero years ago with them. My local tyre guy sold me some 15" wheels so I could run bigger tyres, cheaper.

safreek

Yeah, you can do it.

....'springs to mind:

• Ride height of the car will be lower by about 215mm x 10% = 21.5mm
  • Ride quality will be slightly harsher.
  • Speedo will read faster than actual vehicle speed
  • Acceleration might be a nano-particle better....but it's a Toyota so it doesn't actually generate acceleration.
  • Fuel economy might be better/worse depending where HP & Torque peaks in the rev range and how much time you spend in traffic vs highway.
  • You might get more street cred for your fooly sique mods bro!
cheers for that, can be done, shouldn't be done
If you want the car to remain roadworthy no you cannot!

99% sure that NSW has the same rules on tyres sizing as we do north of the border.

215/70 16 is 708mm in diameter while 215/60 16 is 664mm in diameter or 44mm smaller.

You are allowed -25mm or +15mm for a non 4wd vehicle and don't argue that the RAV is a 4wd, it is not brought into the country as an MC licensed vehicle.

If you don't car about roadworthiness or insurance go your hardest.

The 70 and 60 are profiles. 70% or 60% of width which is the sidewall height of the tyre. So the 60 profile is as @born-again-biker says is 22mm less sidewall. Speedo is -6%. Actual speed with the correct tyres is probably already 4 or 5% lower than the speedo is reading anyway. So 110 on the speedo would be probably 100 on the road with the 60 profile tyres. Comments by b-a-b are spot on. If you want 60 profile then go to a wider tyre, 235 at least if anyone makes one or go up to a 17" rim. Cheaper to put the right size on.

Have a play:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
It's not for street cred, that's impossible for a rag. I would never even call it a SUV let alone a 4wd, to me it really just a car. Just wanting to save some loot

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thanks for any help
Have a look in the glove box, owners manual or the door jamb, it will have a tyre plackard that tells you what tyre sizes you can run legally.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Try gumtree. That's a pretty common size for that sort of vehicle, you'll often find people sell their full sets with little use after buying a set of gross chromies.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Have a look in the glove box, owners manual or the door jamb, it will have a tyre plackard that tells you what tyre sizes you can run legally.
Do this.

The 215x70x16 on there currently may not have been the original size/ diameter. Not sure but look it up.