Tyre upgrades, inserts or no inserts?

Flip666

Likes Dirt
So been riding on the stock dhf dhr exo+ combo on a new reign advanced 29.
Not real happy with pressures needed not to puncture and stop tyres squirming.
So thinking either dd or sg casings with inserts or dh casing no inserts, any recommendations on people who have tried both?
Also I'd like a magic Mary 29 2.6 soft in sg or dh are these available somewhere as they all seem to be 2.35 or light casings..

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Exo and Exo+ don't feel much different to me, but the DD's I ran were noticeably firmer in the carcass and didn't squirm like the Exos.

I haven't run inserts, but I'd say try an DD first, then you can always add an insert later if you feel the need. My riding is in the "trailduro" genre though, so if you're riding particularly aggressively or in exceptionally rough terrain YMMV.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I always run inserts now (Rimpact).
EXO for winter trails. DD/SG for summer park riding.

Tried EXO+ ... would rather stick with DD.

moorey

call me Mia
Plus 1 for trying DD. Felix running on rear now. Without inserts. He kills most tyres. 3 months in without issue.

Flip666

Likes Dirt
I did have dd aggressor and sg magic Mary 27.5 on old bike and had no trouble. Also had cushcore/exo on a hardtail and noticed a decent improvement in sidewall support over super gravity on front.
Wonder if rimpact dd or sg combo would be better than a dh casing no insert

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I'm a big fan of cushcore. Love the extra support it gives. The EXO+ may have some sharp prick protection over the EXO but as far as sidewall flex is concerned they feel the same to me.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
You might be surprised with the difference an insert can make. I'm a geavy gorilla and find exo + rimpact inserts are great.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am thinking I need to start running inserts on my tubeless set up.

At 100kg What is better a lighter tyre with an insert or a heavier DH tyre with out an insert?

I was having a good run with tubeless EXO tyres on one bike with no inserts and Tannus armour on the other with tubes. I managed to flat on both bikes in the space of 2 weeks. The tannus was an easy tube change and I was rolling again no fuss.
The tubeless was impossible to get the valve out by hand to put a tube in and I had a walk back to the car.
Apart from the weight penalty I think the tannus rides better.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I am thinking I need to start running inserts on my tubeless set up.
At 100kg What is better a lighter tyre with an insert or a heavier DH tyre with out an insert?
In the middle of both. DD with an insert.

DD and exo is night and day. At 85kg and poor line choices, I flatted a lot of EXO at parks. Not a single DD yet. A lot of scars on the sidewall of the tyre where an exo would've died.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Yep I run DD front and rear with an insert in the rear (Nukeproof ARD - cheap, comes in a 2 pack so once one is worn out have a spare new waiting)

Or I go DH TR folding in rear sometimes to save $$$... DHF DH is $58 vs DD circa $90 and same rubber compound. I can't justify +$30 for a tiny weight penalty.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In the middle of both. DD with an insert.

DD and exo is night and day. At 85kg and poor line choices, I flatted a lot of EXO at parks. Not a single DD yet. A lot of scars on the sidewall of the tyre where an exo would've died.
Thanks I will give these a try.
If all else fails I am going to put my fat bike tyres on the duel sus :)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
One thing to consider with inserts is getting the tyre off. I don't know what Rimpacts & the Nukeproof things are like, but having to remove a tyre with Cushcore in will ruin your day.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For Maxxis. DD rear. EXO maxx grip front. Doesnt matter what model. As an aside, be aware that any tire bigger than 2.5 width is both slow AF and bordering on that weirdo ebike or full rigid surly territory that I'm sure you don't want to be associated with.

T-Rex

Template denier
One thing to consider with inserts is getting the tyre off. I don't know what Rimpacts & the Nukeproof things are like, but having to remove a tyre with Cushcore in will ruin your day.
It's not too bad in the workshop, but having to do it on the trail doesn't bear thinking about.

Which is why I run tubes and try to ride smoothly and pick my lines.

Flip666

Likes Dirt
So decided on going rimpact pro front and rear, with aggressor 2.5 dd rear to stock exo dhf front for now and see how the front sidewalls feel with the insert, and if still to flexy will put a magic mary 2.35 sg on I think.

SDA

Likes Dirt
Recently switched over from Exo/Exo+ casing Minion combo's to Super Gravity casings MM/HD combo. They blow up a bit narrow, but I definitely don't miss the flexy and bouncy Exo casings.

Keen to try a Magic Mary SG in 2.6"

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Good to know.. Yeah was also thinking the 2.6 as I hear the sizing is more exact with the addix tyres compared to the old 2.35 MM which were bigger than 2.5 dhf.
Some reviews have stated that the 2.35 being better all round performance than wide spacing between tread on the 2.6..whuch only excels in deeper mud

teK--

Eats Squid

moorey

call me Mia
For anyone having trouble removing their tyre trailside with Cushcore, just ask this guy to help:

Would I have to ride A yeti though?:(