Tyre Warranty ?

Exie

Likes Dirt
Hi Folks,

So, about 2 months back I needed some summer tyres, so I stopped by this new shop and the salesman sold me some Maxxis Ikon's. They were a bit over priced at $119ea but they were what I wanted, so I brought them.

Needless to say, they have now split right on the bead where it meats the rim.

I dont believe this is due to hitting anything. Is there any grounds for complaint ? could I claim it is a manufacturing defect ?

It seems a bit shitty to spend so much on a tyre and only get a few rides on it.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
$119 per tyre? wowzers, i paid less than that for a pair of 3C/EXO/TR Ikon's.

yes, take them back and see what they have to say. i had a successful warranty claim on an Ardent that formed a bubble.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
$119 each is the real drama here! I hope there was workshop handjob thrown in.

Take them back, who ever does Maxxis here is pretty good with warranty and replacements, I've torn a few tyres at the spot due to dinging the rim, but you should know if you have done that.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
$119 each is the real drama here! I hope there was workshop handjob thrown in.

Take them back, who ever does Maxxis here is pretty good with warranty and replacements, I've torn a few tyres at the spot due to dinging the rim, but you should know if you have done that.
I'd be wanting a blow job from the bosses wife and side girl for that cheddar...

I liked continental tyres many years ago. Then 3 of them split in the same spot back to back so i stopped using them. when the second one blew out i asked for a warranty replacement (as it was obviously not a coincidence) and was fobbed off, domestic retail. I only used the 3rd as i had it already. Years later i gave them another try and the same thing happened! I didnt attempt warranty that time round, but as i had purchased them from CRC i probably should have. oh well. i am jealous of those among us that have had successful warranty claims for tryes.

Exie

Likes Dirt
Thanks Folks,

Yeah, they were a real rip. They also charged me $120 to tell me I had a flat tyre when I first went there. They called that a "service".

Needless to say, I dont really like the shop. It's not my regular LBS who are pretty awesome.

Anyway, I took the tyre down and got semi-fobed. The guy explained that as I had ridden the tyre it wasn't likely they would warrant them. I mean, if I was going downhill and tore the sidewall on a rock or something, I get that, my fault. But the tear was right on the bead, there's no way a rock would get in there and do that, not to mention, my rim is fine.

So the attendant offered, "if I really wanted".. which I did, he would send it off and see what they say. Should get back to me in a few weeks.

Needless to say, they didnt have any stock to buy another one or anything. So off to the lucky dip pile of old tyres to see what I can use. Looks like some 'ol Larsen TT's :)

Exie

Likes Dirt
1 for the price of 3, ouch. Even worse if they are not the EXO ones.
Nah, they were the 3C EXO TR ones.
2015-11-09 002.jpg

In hind sight, they were probably priced for a pair, but the idiot charged me twice. I saw today they are literally half the price at a popular online store in AU.

I'd love to buy this sort of thing from my regular shop, but they dont stock many tyres, especially 26", I think my regular shop focuses on service, which they do well.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
View attachment 321240

In hind sight, they were probably priced for a pair, but the idiot charged me twice. I saw today they are literally half the price at a popular online store in AU.

I'd love to buy this sort of thing from my regular shop, but they dont stock many tyres, especially 26", I think my regular shop focuses on service, which they do well.
doubt it, they are an individually priced item.

that said, i bought a 26x2.35 3C/EXO/TR Ikon from the same chain (albeit a different store) for $59.99. funnily enough i bought the Ikon as they refunded me no questions asked for my faulty Ardent.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
View attachment 321240

Shoulda joined the club. Would have made them a bargain.

In hindsight, they skipped the foreplay and went straight to the business...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thanks Folks,

Yeah, they were a real rip. They also charged me $120 to tell me I had a flat tyre when I first went there. They called that a "service".

Needless to say, I dont really like the shop. It's not my regular LBS who are pretty awesome.

Anyway, I took the tyre down and got semi-fobed. The guy explained that as I had ridden the tyre it wasn't likely they would warrant them. I mean, if I was going downhill and tore the sidewall on a rock or something, I get that, my fault. But the tear was right on the bead, there's no way a rock would get in there and do that, not to mention, my rim is fine.

So the attendant offered, "if I really wanted".. which I did, he would send it off and see what they say. Should get back to me in a few weeks.

Needless to say, they didnt have any stock to buy another one or anything. So off to the lucky dip pile of old tyres to see what I can use. Looks like some 'ol Larsen TT's :)
Did you happen to get any photos of the tyre mounted to the rim on the bike, if there is no sign of anything ripping through the side wall I can't see how they can deny warranty. Everything is about proof these days as hardly anyone wants to give warranty.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
View attachment 321240

Ouch....my sphincter quivered a little seeing the price tag.......

Hard go past these lot for tyres....http://www.pushys.com.au/maxxis-ikon-26x2-20-3c-exo-tr-mtb-tyre.html

Exie

Likes Dirt
Ouch....my sphincter quivered a little seeing the price tag.......

Hard go past these lot for tyres....http://www.pushys.com.au/maxxis-ikon-26x2-20-3c-exo-tr-mtb-tyre.html
Thats exactly where I was going to go. But I have the Larsen on for now, oddly enough I had a brand new set of Larsen's in the shed, dont know why I didnt put them on before ?!

I'll wait a few weeks and see if they give me a new Ikon, if not, I'll go to Pushy's. I know some people like to mix 'n match, but for some reason, I prefer to have a matching set of tyres.

PS. I didnt get any photos (though I should have). The small tear was probably 5mm long and it was right in the corner of the beed bit that hooks in the rim. Took me forever to find where the air was leaking from. Once I marked it and took the tyre off, you could see it. Should have taken a photo sorry.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Thats exactly where I was going to go. But I have the Larsen on for now, oddly enough I had a brand new set of Larsen's in the shed, dont know why I didnt put them on before ?!

I'll wait a few weeks and see if they give me a new Ikon, if not, I'll go to Pushy's. I know some people like to mix 'n match, but for some reason, I prefer to have a matching set of tyres.

PS. I didnt get any photos (though I should have). The small tear was probably 5mm long and it was right in the corner of the beed bit that hooks in the rim. Took me forever to find where the air was leaking from. Once I marked it and took the tyre off, you could see it. Should have taken a photo sorry.
i've got a 26x2.35" Ikon and 26x2.3" DHF i could sell you..... cheap!

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Most regular Australian shops would stock that tire for $79 or $89 (at the most).

I'm surprised the "un-named" chain store went in that hard.. they're normally somewhat reasonable.

deboat

Squid
A few weeks to find out if it is approved for warranty.... That is not customer service.

Most dealers should have say either it is warranty or not. The dealer completes an online warranty form, the shop gets a credit and holds onto the tyre for 3 months so that the sales rep from the importer can inspect it when he/she does the next shop visit.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A few weeks to find out if it is approved for warranty.... That is not customer service.

Most dealers should have say either it is warranty or not. The dealer completes an online warranty form, the shop gets a credit and holds onto the tyre for 3 months so that the sales rep from the importer can inspect it when he/she does the next shop visit.
Yeah, if only it was that simple with suppliers. In this industry, it's not. Trying to get a credit from some suppliers is a laborious process...

Also, to address the price of the tyre. Maxxis has 2-3 different distro's in Australia, unless your TBE and get Maxxis straight outa their factory. So depending on source, said shop could have brought those Ikons at a higher price.