Tyres and Kneepads

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2 questions

I had a small crash. Front tyre washed out and wasn't too bad as I landed on my left knee and hands but the knee pad just pulled straight down and I cut my knee up anyway. I suppose it could have been worse but is it normal for pads to do this? Any recommendations of better ones?

Half hour later I was just slowly rolling down a fire trail back to the car and BANG. The rear tyre pops dead centre of tread which you can only see if I pinch the tyre together. I have cushcore and only put a new tyre on 2 months ago and it just seems bizarre that it would do this. Tyres were exo+ maxx terra 3C DHR2. Seems a bit expensive to get another $100 tyre that soon. Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks
MAS

The knee

The pads

The tyre

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Seems unusual for the tyre to let go like that. Wonder of it picked up a tiny piece of glass or a thorn or something. Anyway, before binning it - try an old fashioned tube patch. Clean the bejeezus out of the tyre (inside and out so there's no sealant residue, because that clear oily liquid feeling stuff'll give you heartarch if it's still present). Then give the inside a bit of a sand so it's a clean, dry/matte finish again. Apply rubber glue in the hole, spread over the sanded area (preferably just bigger than the patch) and on the patch itself. Hold the patch in firmly place for a minute or two (with the tyre in it's normal shape, not flattened out) and it should be well and truly fine to keep using on the rear wheel. Did this with a mate's Rekon 2.8" rear tyre and it lasted a year or more of being abused without giving any issue before he eventually swapped for a more aggressive tyre.

PS: Sucks about the knee, but like you say - lucky it wasn't worse. For my moderate riding ironically soft "foam sock" type pads have stayed in place than the hard shell type. Most just been sliding/rolling on dirt when I've had to put them to use though.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I had a crash many years ago when my kneepad moved and I got knee cuts and damage.

What I took from that was the force to move the kneepad didnt show on my bodily damage, so it worked partially.

You have probably saved yourself from stitches, broken bones or whatever by wearing them... they done good.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The two incidents are almost certainly unrelated, so treat them separately. Only thing I can add to Dr. Beebenson's note is to let the patch glue tack off for about 10 mins before sticking the patch down; letting the solvent evaporate out of the glue for a bit will make it stickier so you'll get a stronger patch.

moorey

call me Mia
Agreed with the recommendations on trying a patch. Nothing to lose. Sidewalls are trickier, but where that is, should be sweet.
If it’s quite big, maybe also superglue in a plug under the patch.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks everyone. I’ll test a bacon strip before a patch to see how it goes. They were soooo hard to get on with the cushcore.

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks everyone. I’ll test a bacon strip before a patch to see how it goes. They were soooo hard to get on with the cushcore.
Bacon strip might not play as well with glue of patch. Was thinking of a dynaplug with some glue.
Looks a bit big for bacon strip to me…but hard to tell.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I would use a plug on the tyre, tried patching tyres many times with ordinary tube patches and the tyre sealant always dissolves the adhesive after a few months of riding. As for the knee pads, you could possibly try to tie the straps a bit tighter, maybe buy a current model knee pad, those old Launch Pro's with the round cap have long been superseded, but it's not uncommon with a high speed slide that you roll the kneepad down.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just put in a thick bacon strip, rotated the tyre around, left it for an hour, pumped over 15psi and it leaks again. I remember seeing those stans videos where they run over a plank of 20 nails and it blocks all the holes but I can't see it blocking anything bigger than a needle hole. I dont have any of the old patches but I do have big sticky tyre boot patches.

I wonder if those stans dart ones are worth it?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Just put in a thick bacon strip, rotated the tyre around, left it for an hour, pumped over 15psi and it leaks again. I remember seeing those stans videos where they run over a plank of 20 nails and it blocks all the holes but I can't see it blocking anything bigger than a needle hole. I dont have any of the old patches but I do have big sticky tyre boot patches.

What do you mean by thick bacon strip, you get ones made for cars (thick) then you get ones made for bikes that are very thin. If the hole is huge you can poke another bike bacon strip in but the mushroom patches are better than having 2 beacon strips. They're hard to get a hold of, unfortunately.

Last edited:

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What do you mean by thick beacon strip, you get ones made for cars (thick) then you get ones made for bikes that are very thin. If the hole is huge you can poke another bike beacon strip in but the mushroom patches are better than having 2 beacon strips. They're hard to get a hold of, unfortunately.

View attachment 378063
I have thin black strips and some thicker red ones which I used. Both are bike ones.

Jpez

Down on the left!

Normal stans? I found it pretty useless for any thing bigger than a pin prick. Stans Race on the other hand is excellent for big holes.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Took wheel outside and lent it against the car. The brand new cassette slid off and hit the ground. I picked it up to have a look at the teeth and the bearing fell off and 8 individual bearing balls went everywhere. Wife helped look for about 20 mins and we found them. Took the tyre off then found what could possibly be the cause of the puncture.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas

I'd like to find out but I seem to have misplaced mine... Fuckwit!