Tyres are killing my fun... Help bring the fun back...

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So 115kg kitted up. Ride XC/Trail On a steel 29 hardtail. Carbon rims tyre pressures around 28-30psi.

i have killed 3 Maxxis tyres in 3 months - Ikon 2.2 exo 3c tr, ikon 2.35 exo 3c tr and an ardent race 2.35 exo 3c tr.

One cut side wall and he other 2 cut in the tread surface. All on the rear of my bike.

I love the 2.35 bag size but ffs I want something that has low rolling resistance and is tougher. Yes we are in drought and all manor of shitty Little Rock’s are poking through on the trails but I’m over it after my third walk out today.

Hit me with some recommendations for a tough low rolling resistance tyre and allow a little less walking and a lot more fun back.

Also FYI I have fuck all idea or interest in all the initials on tyres so I’m guessing this is part of my downfall...

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Vittoria Saguaro or Onza Lynx in the FRC casing. Thread closed. You can thank me later.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Michelin Force AM 2.35.

Casing is way stronger than any of those tyres, plus stronger than Mezcal TNT, Schwalbe Snakeskin, Specialized Control.

Rolling resistance and weight is surprisingly low for the toughness on offer.

Bonus is the top of the line competition ones can be had for $50 off wiggle/CRC, and the harder compound performance models are even cheaper.

I've also run the Force XC which is great, but the sideknobs tend to roll and tear off on hardpack.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The force sound interesting
Michelin Force AM 2.35.

Casing is way stronger than any of those tyres, plus stronger than Mezcal TNT, Schwalbe Snakeskin, Specialized Control.

Rolling resistance and weight is surprisingly low for the toughness on offer.

Bonus is the top of the line competition ones can be had for $50 off wiggle/CRC, and the harder compound performance models are even cheaper.

I've also run the Force XC which is great, but the sideknobs tend to roll and tear off on hardpack.
Like the look of the tread pattern on the force. What are they like to set up tubeless?

Do run them front and rear?

Litenbror

Eats Squid

Like the look of the tread pattern on the force. What are they like to set up tubeless?

I've got a couple of the wild grip r ones and I'm happy with them. Easy to set up tubeless, low rolling resistance and so far seem pretty tough.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard

Easy as. In general, found the Michelin's to be fit quite tight on the rim compared to others, which once on makes them super easy to inflate tubeless. Mines got a few sealant spots on the sidewall now, about 650-700kms in.

I only run them rear, I've paired it with the Wild AM up front.

I'd say this is a fair review:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yeah if you’re riding smoothly it shouldn’t be an issue. I’m about 100kg Kitted and don’t run less than 30 in the rear.

I’m not a particularly smooth rider though.

moorey

call me Mia
Silkworm casing?

Tyres are no place to skimp. I know you’re already running EXO, but it’s not enough. Forget minor rolling resistance and weight, and run something that lasts.

slowmick

38-39"
I feel your pain - I punched a hole through the tread of my 2.35 exo icon and my hardtail and got covered in stan's trying to fit a tube. Also put a nice dent in the rim. Replaced it with a high roller II and tore the side wall out of it. Now on a double down aggressor. I am sick of sitting on the side of the trail trying to fix shit this year. Good luck with your next tyre.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Conti Crossking/Raceking with ProTection, Black Chilli, TR. The side walls are awesome, currently on one of my boys race bikes.

Or

Vittoria Barzo/Mezcal Graphene 2.0, 4C. Very grippy and fast, zero damage in one full season, riding them on my XC/Endurance bike at the moment.

These are the best 2 sets of tyres I have ridden in a long time of Schwalbe and Maxxis for XC.

clockworked

Like an orange
So I get to replace them as well?
I started because i had a bad run of catastrophic loss of seal out the back of mount joyce, and i figured carrying a spare tube was easier than walking all the way back. I expected more punctures, but it just didn't happen as much. Now i run lighter tyres with tubes than i could when tubeless.
Everyone thinks it's stupid, but if it looks stupid and it works then maybe it isn't so stupid