Tyres are killing my fun... Help bring the fun back...

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I started because i had a bad run of catastrophic loss of seal out the back of mount joyce, and i figured carrying a spare tube was easier than walking all the way back. I expected more punctures, but it just didn't happen as much. Now i run lighter tyres with tubes than i could when tubeless.
Everyone thinks it's stupid, but if it looks stupid and it works then maybe it isn't so stupid
I’m all for whatever works - currently willing to change rubber and if that fails well maybe tubes it might be for me....

Mattyp

Cows go boing
my suggestion would be to run agout 34psi. but people dont like pumping up their tyres these days,

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Higher pressures makes your tyre less likely to conform around an object but the sidewalls will bulge less. So more risk of a puncture but a narrower profile that in theory may reduce sidewall cuts. I say "in theory" because I've only experienced more cuts everywhere with higher pressures.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go tubes with Tannus Armour insets. I am a similar weight and can run those pressures no problems with this set up but run into problems when I go this low on tubeless.

I would try it on the rear only if you are worried about extra weight.

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
Pressure sounds good. I’m heavier running 31psi. Haven’t had an issue with tyres other then exploding one on a really bad case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
So 115kg kitted up. Ride XC/Trail On a steel 29 hardtail. Carbon rims tyre pressures around 28-30psi.

i have killed 3 Maxxis tyres in 3 months - Ikon 2.2 exo 3c tr, ikon 2.35 exo 3c tr and an ardent race 2.35 exo 3c tr.

One cut side wall and he other 2 cut in the tread surface. All on the rear of my bike.

I love the 2.35 bag size but ffs I want something that has low rolling resistance and is tougher. Yes we are in drought and all manor of shitty Little Rock’s are poking through on the trails but I’m over it after my third walk out today.

Hit me with some recommendations for a tough low rolling resistance tyre and allow a little less walking and a lot more fun back.

Also FYI I have fuck all idea or interest in all the initials on tyres so I’m guessing this is part of my downfall...
Why not a Maxxis DD? Even go up to a 2.5 bothe ends if your rims are wide enough. Or this
https://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/p...Vr37MqSpXWdk476UYKhoCG4wQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reactions: sbm

Ackland

chats d'élevage
How big are the holes/cuts?

Can you use an allen key to measure hole sizes?

Anything up to 6-8mm is possible to repair with plugs. Long sidewall cuts up to 15-20mm can be repaired with a sewing needle and patches on the inside.

moorey

call me Mia
‘A little’....right.

If not XC racing, I can’t fathom people skimping on strong/appropriate tyres.
Not directed at anyone particularly on here...I just see it all the time, and I’m sick of donating my spare tyres and tubes every event. :rolleyes:

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
‘A little’....right.

Not directed at anyone particularly on here...I just see it all the time, and I’m sick of donating my spare tyres and tubes every event. :rolleyes:
Very true. As to my DD or similar casing reasoning as the lad is carrying an extra 40kg on me. (No disrespect intended) I've never had an issue with EXO but I'm thinking DD might be a bit more appropriate. Especially on a HT.

Jpez

Down on the left!
‘A little’....right.

There are exceptions!
Samy Walshe running puny 2.1 icons at the Youis and consistently being one of the fastest guys out there on every track.
I think he podiumed last cressy race.

moorey

call me Mia
There are exceptions!
Samy Walshe running puny 2.1 icons at the Youis and consistently being one of the fastest guys out there on every track.
Yeah, but Cressy is flow. If you’re light over those short rock gardens, everything else is gravy.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
There are exceptions!
I think that the art of looking after your gear is becoming lost in the days of Gnar and Ndurow

Jpez

Down on the left!
Yeah, but Cressy is flow. If you’re light over those short rock gardens, everything else is gravy.
Oh yeah for sure but he’s also not slow over the other tracks that are less flowtown.
Me I’d put an ikon on and it just pop and spray me with sealant before it even left the garage to spite me!