Tyres

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Gday, fairly inexperiened rider , less than a year , just purchased my first 29er , a 2012 Trek Rumblefish, it has Bontrager 29-3, Team TLR, 29x2.3 tyres, are these a good tyre ?

Ridden it 3 times now at Lysterfield ,loving the bike , but a small issue with grip on turns which is affecting confidence , while Im getting great front grip on turns in the dirt sections , it slides a bit when there is a hint of loose stone - crushed rock , particularly on turns on the downhill sections of Comm games track,( which is scaring the shit out of me) which my 26 inch hardtail ( which has Rocket Rons) doesnt do in identical sections ,

Im only running about 22 psi Front and about 26 back, weigh 87 kilos,

I was thinking the easy fix might be to change the front tyre to something else that grips better ? , any advice appreciated .

Cheers

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Those particular tyres are known to be fairly grippy, so I am guessing you are coming from a more trail orientated tyre? I have run the scwalbe nobby nicks on the front on a 29er before which has plenty of grip, but overkill generally for somewhere like lysty at this time of year

But I think it's more a matter of getting used to the drift, it just feels different on a 29er

Another option is a softer compound tyre like the racing Ralph, but they cost double the price and wear out reasonably fast.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Those particular tyres are known to be fairly grippy, so I am guessing you are coming from a more trail orientated tyre? I have run the scwalbe nobby nicks on the front on a 29er before which has plenty of grip, but overkill generally for somewhere like lysty at this time of year

But I think it's more a matter of getting used to the drift, it just feels different on a 29er

Another option is a softer compound tyre like the racing Ralph, but they cost double the price and wear out reasonably fast.
They seem to grip really well when Im in the dirt, but when Im in loose rock , its like Im on ice, whether turning or touching the brakes ,

My technique may need work as well.

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
I've been running a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on the front (2.1 Crossmark rear). I've been running a lowish psi, not sure exactly what pressure but it's squishy between the fingers...I can corner like a fool and usually get away with it...

rumblefish

Likes Dirt
I also ride a Rumblefish and it came with the Bontrager 29-3's. I thought they were pretty grippy. I have since tried, Crossmark, Aspens, Ignitors, RR and I think the Bontragers were better than all of them. I now run 2.35 NN's front and back and they are another step above them all.