Tyres

DarrenHunt

Likes Dirt
I was wondering if anyone could help me chose suitable tyres. I've been riding for 3 months, but i'm getting quick quickly.
I'm getting into racing, 100km and 8 hr jobs at the moment and i mainly ride around many dam.
I was looking at Crossmarks, but was wondering how suitable they would be for Manly Dam.

Any help appreciated

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was looking at Crossmarks, but was wondering how suitable they would be for Manly Dam.
I'm not sure what Manly Dam is like, but I've found the Crossmarks work really nicely in anything from hardpark to dusty/semi-loose. They're nice and fast as every race tyre should be, and I couldn't believe how well they held on in the corners at the victorian state champs. The course was a very dusty and rocky loop near Bendigo. That's the other thing I like about them, they've got thicker sidewalls which reduces the chance of them getting cut on a rock. Come to think of it I haven't had a single puncture since changing from Racing Ralphs. I struggled with both sidewall cuts and pinch flats with the RRs.

I run the softer compound eXCeption tyre, which wears reasonably fast, but so do all race tyres.

Chamelion

Likes Dirt
I've heard a LarsenTT rear and Ranchero/Crossmark front is a good combination... 2.0 rear and 2.35 front?

Matt.

EDIT: I run WTB Wierwolfs front and rear in a 2.1".... They seem OK.

Last edited:

DarrenHunt

Likes Dirt
thanks for your help.

i think i'm definately going a crossmark 2.1 on the rear and am thinking about the front... either the same or a ignitor of similar width.

any thoughts?

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
I run an Ignitor 2.1 eXCeption on the front as its got a bit more "bite" than the Crossmarks. The shoulder is a bit more aggressive on the Ignitor which suits me fine as I ride in really loose conditions. They do have a bit more rolling resistance than the Crossmarks, so its a trade off between straight line speed and cornering ability.

I ride a Ranchero 2.0 eXCeption on the back. They are great tires but I wouldn't want to try one on the front. Ever.

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
I'm running 2 2.1 crossmark exceptions and they are great tyres... from dry, gravel, rooty or rocky... these grip very well.

Why we are talking about tyres (and sorry to hijack somewhat) what's everyones favorite mud tyre? It looks as if the next chase the sun will be a little muddy :)

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why we are talking about tyres (and sorry to hijack somewhat) what's everyones favorite mud tyre? It looks as if the next chase the sun will be a little muddy :)
If it turns into a slop fest I'll be running Medusa 1.8s. I haven't used them before, but they look really promosing. Assuming it's only medium mud though, I'll be sticking with crossmarks. There is enough firm open stuff in that course than straight line speed is really important.

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
If it turns into a slop fest I'll be running Medusa 1.8s. I haven't used them before, but they look really promosing. Assuming it's only medium mud though, I'll be sticking with crossmarks. There is enough firm open stuff in that course than straight line speed is really important.

*nods* I think i'll stay with my crossmarks too. Cheers :D

Last edited:

Andy.G

Likes Dirt
I ride a Ranchero 2.0 eXCeption on the back. They are great tires but I wouldn't want to try one on the front. Ever.

Not disputing, you seem so adamant, but ... why exactly is that ??
The wide center ridges ??

The first time I saw a picture of a Ranchero in an ad in an Amereican mag, I thought they looked great - I even emailed Maxxis to ask if they were available in Oz ... negative at that time - so, I fell in lust (get it ??) with Larsen TT's and now I'm having an affair on the side, with some Hutchies on my dually, but I still haven't ever ridden a Ranchero.

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
*nods* I think i'll stay with my crossmarks too. Cheers :D
Looking at the weather forecast, I'd say there might be the odd puddle but it's unlikely to be really muddy. Showers tueday-thursday sure but that probably doesn't actually mean all that much rain, and with friday and saturday to dry out it should be fine. I hope.

Chamelion

Likes Dirt
I'm of the opinion the tires on my wifes Trek 4500WSD are fantastic in the mud... Bontrager Jones ACX (tubless ready).

Matt.

k3n!f

Not disputing, you seem so adamant, but ... why exactly is that ??
The wide center ridges ??
I really don't think they would handle the corners very well. I have never actually tried one on the front, but the combination of almost continuous centre ridges, lack of forward facing knobs and large spaces between the central ridge and the shoulder knobs would scare me to death.

They certainly don't corner as well as Ignitors but they have a fair bit more rubber than other Maxxis tires so they work well on the back.

Hud

Likes Dirt
How do the eXception models of the crossmark and ignitor go with a stans setup?
Maxxis is not mentioned on the stans website as being a 'reccomended' tyre for stans use.
I love Racing Ralphs but I'm concerned about leaking stans everywhere if I scuff the sidewall. (Sidewalls are very thin.)

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm running Crossmark LUST and they're fairly good. They roll fast and yet still give a relatively good grip on the dirt.
The Ranchero's are good. They roll fast, however they're not the grippiest tyre. Although on an upside for that, you get to know pretty quickly when it's about to start drifting and how to avoid it.
The Ignitors are good tyres if you want a grippy tyre that rolls relatively well. Although it wouldn't be as good as a Ranchero or Crossmark in rolling, it'll grip slightly better. I'd only suggest an Ignitor on the front.

From my experience Michelin XCR Dry's are fantastic tyres. They roll fast and grip pretty well too. Although the knobs aren't as big as an ignitor, it's still comparable. If you want something really racey ;) Go Michelin XCR Dry 2's. Ever only ridden on them once, but geez it gripped well and rolled bloody fast. Don't expect it to last though.

For an overall, grippy, fast rolling and yet durable combination, i'd suggest an Ignitor on the front and a Ranchero on the rear. Fast rolling, yet the combination of an Ignitor up the front gives you the confidence in the corners, and the Ranchero keeps the rolling momentum up.

Stan's works fine with any Maxxis tyres in my experience.

k3n!f

For an overall, grippy, fast rolling and yet durable combination, i'd suggest an Ignitor on the front and a Ranchero on the rear. Fast rolling, yet the combination of an Ignitor up the front gives you the confidence in the corners, and the Ranchero keeps the rolling momentum up.
Mmmmmm excellent choice, thats whats on my bike....

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I'm of the opinion the tires on my wifes Trek 4500WSD are fantastic in the mud... Bontrager Jones ACX (tubless ready).

Matt.
Think they are regarded as more of a mud tyre....they wear very quickly on hard anything! I run the cheapy Bontragers (Connection Trail) which have a connected tread pattern better for road and a bit of off road. They have lasted ages (comming on 3 years) but they really arnt that good off road.

Just a question with the CrossMarks, how would they take on the road? Would they be chewed up fairly quickly or what? I do not yet have car so I have to ride/train to get to tracks etc. I just ask because they seem to like hardpack...would this exctent to tarmac or am I pushing it? (Sorry for the thread jack!)

Hud

Likes Dirt
I was intending to put an ignitor on the front and crossmark on the back, however at the above suggestions I'll try a ranchero on the rear.
The weights are impressive, although there doesn't seem to be any reference
to the LUST models on Maxxis' website, or is this another name for the eXception??

Last edited:

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a question with the CrossMarks, how would they take on the road? Would they be chewed up fairly quickly or what? I do not yet have car so I have to ride/train to get to tracks etc. I just ask because they seem to like hardpack...would this exctent to tarmac or am I pushing it? (Sorry for the thread jack!)
They wear out on the tarmac very quickly. Unfortunately all decent XC tyres seem to do this :(.

k3n!f

The weights are impressive, although there doesn't seem to be any reference
to the LUST models on Maxxis' website, or is this another name for the eXception??
LUST are Maxxis tubeless tires, hence the UST bit. eXCeption are a race version of the normal tubed tires that has a softer compound and thinner sidewalls to save some weight.

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For mostly street/park, dirt and some dj's, basically suburban rider, how are holy rollers? They seem to get used a lot, i just look at Minon's , Ignitors and Highrollers (to name a few) and they look like they would just wear away on the road/park. And if holy rollers arn't the best for my type of riding, what's good, Larsen TT's look ok... the dirt I ride is usually pretty loose, and flat, so i have to watch my angles, something I would like to free up a little.

Oh and if there is a good front/rear combo anybody can think of for my style:) ?