UCI Mountain Bike World Championships 2013: Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are praying for an Aussie to win, it will be Mick, he's a god botherer.
lol seems to be doing alright for him

out of the whole field i may be biased but the best peddlers are aussies graves and Hannah both super and graves being on his enduro bike only gives him more of an advantage

will be a very interesting race to say the least i could of course be terribly wrong that's just racing

driftking

Wheel size expert

out of the whole field i may be biased but the best peddlers are aussies graves and Hannah both super and graves being on his enduro bike only gives him more of an advantage

will be a very interesting race to say the least i could of course be terribly wrong that's just racing
Minnaar and gee are also up there on the pedals. But us we have good peddles, probably due to havin flat ass trails we either learn to pedal or go slow shah.

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Minnaar and gee are also up there on the pedals. But us we have good peddles, probably due to havin flat ass trails we either learn to pedal or go slow shah.
totally forgot about gee haha damn, i think minaar would have better chances on a Bronson....

i bet theres a few darkhorses that will really shine this weekend

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Will they be showing Juniors ?

I seem to remember champs been different in terms to what groups get shown than what the WC does.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt

I dunno, the top half of the track is fairly gnarly, I think Gravesy could stand to loose a substantial amount of time on the top half, but it will be interesting to see if he can make it up on the pedally section. He has a lot of experience at riding the little bike so I'm sure his call will be the right one.

Minaar is still suffering from the World Champs jersey syndrome so I would give him 3rd place at best. Mick would have my money for the win, fitter and hungrier than ever but Gee would be his main concern.

MARKL

Eats Squid
All this talk of shorter travel bikes reminds me of Stromlo 2009 World Champs - short travel, remote lockouts blah blah. V10's went 1st and 2nd just as they did in 2008. Reality was at Stromlo the short travel bikes lost to much time at the top, in the rock garden, took too much out of the riders and the shorter travel bikes didn't have enough advantage down the bottom. Will be interesting to see how it goes this time, short travel bikes are better than ever before but with carbon frames being so light now I don't see any disadvantage in running a full downhill bike - I think there would be more advantage in 27.5 (or 29:tsk:) than the shorter travel frames.

Ultimate setup? Carbon downhill frame, 27.5 (or 29:drama:), air shock with pedalling platform, carbon rims and a dropper post:hail:

horsey

Likes Dirt
I reckon most guys will still ride proper downhill bikes, but with remote lockout shocks, dropper posts, and maybe some interesting tyre choices like super gravity hans dampfs or larsen TT's etc.

Graves will handle the course fine though on an SB66. he has been riding much more wild and difficult stuff in EWS than what you find on a world cup downhill course these days...

driftking

Wheel size expert
All this talk of shorter travel bikes reminds me of Stromlo 2009 World Champs - short travel, remote lockouts blah blah. V10's went 1st and 2nd just as they did in 2008. Reality was at Stromlo the short travel bikes lost to much time at the top, in the rock garden, took too much out of the riders and the shorter travel bikes didn't have enough advantage down the bottom. Will be interesting to see how it goes this time, short travel bikes are better than ever before but with carbon frames being so light now I don't see any disadvantage in running a full downhill bike - I think there would be more advantage in 27.5 (or 29:tsk:) than the shorter travel frames.

Ultimate setup? Carbon downhill frame, 27.5 (or 29:drama:), air shock with pedalling platform, carbon rims and a dropper post:hail:
I think what it proves is regardless of slightly less or more travel or slightly bigger or smaller wheels is that the rider makes the difference at the end of the day. We try to suck so much advantage out of little changes when in reality if we just spent that time training you yield more time gains.

Sure if matters but its going to be who's done the work and who's got it dialled the most who wins.

I'm actually going to change my previous predictions

1.smith
2.hannah
3.gee
4.minnaar.

Lock it in Eddie.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've changed my pick: 2013 downhill world champion will be Jared Graves.

youngi

Likes Bikes
Bike choice is insignificant I recon, we'll see the same guys at the top, Graves might do better than usual but I'd put money on Sam before graves. But watch out for half a dozen guys who are always on the podium, they'll be up there as usual... I'd like to see all Aussies on top but I will say:
1. Greg
2. Gee
3. Mick
+/- Smith, Gwin, Hill, some other top 10 rider...

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Bike choice is insignificant I recon, we'll see the same guys at the top, Graves might do better than usual but I'd put money on Sam before graves. But watch out for half a dozen guys who are always on the podium, they'll be up there as usual... I'd like to see all Aussies on top but I will say:
1. Greg
2. Gee
3. Mick
+/- Smith, Gwin, Hill, some other top 10 rider...

I don't like to say it but on this track I don't think Sam Hill will be in the top ten.

CRIK

NSWMTB
Will they be showing the Juniors as well?
No, both Red Bull TV and SBS will only be live streaming the Elites.

We "watch" the juniors through the live timing link on the UCI website. That's as good as it gets for the Juniors I'm afraid.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
No, both Red Bull TV and SBS will only be live streaming the Elites.

We "watch" the juniors through the live timing link on the UCI website. That's as good as it gets for the Juniors I'm afraid.
That's shit.

I'm getting kinda tired of seeing the Juniors always getting the short end of the stick.

Would it kill them to at least show the top ten Juniors?

Last edited:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Juniors.....

Just looked at the SBS site again linked on the front page of this thread and there is no mention of the DH Juniors, I hate SBS!

My pick....Dean Lucas for the win in Juniors. I have a lot of faith in this young man!

#Go Deano!