UCI MTB World Champs - 2009 @ Stromlo

mhuth1

Likes Dirt
im heading down with a mate of mine and my rents were driving all the way from toowoomba:eek: but should be a sick week.

still havent booked accomodation but we will prob stay with relitaves.

Lube

Likes Dirt
Booked in at the YHA today! I will be there from Friday until Monday. Making a roadtrip up the coast! Aww yeah.

jon55sey

Likes Dirt
Looks like there is going to be a fair whack of Mtb fans at the YHA!

Hope your all ready for some real benders.

rockyash

Likes Dirt
If anyone wants some mad Aussie tee's for cheering on our boys at the world champs, drop me a PM.

These badboys are printed up on American apparel tees, so you know they are heaps good quality and a nice fit.

These shirts sell blank for $32 from the online store.
http://store.americanapparel.com.au/2001.html

I got the hookups and can still do these tees for $27 each.

ps. Feel free to drop me a line if you want something custom made up.

Attachments

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Are there going to be any support events this year? last year there were a few "urban crits" the 8hr race and a few races before Worlds. Is anything like that happening this year?

Bucket Master

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Yep there the schools champs at majura, the 8 hour at Sparrow and there is an urban crit at the opening ceremony

Bucket Master

Have just been out on site (again!) to review the fencing. Some tweaks needed at triple treat but otherwise all good there. There is a new spectator spot on the eastern face - will improve that spot no end. Should be able to get at least 10 stands in there (with a big screen and a bar!)

The spectator mounds around the 4X have to be seen to be believed. It is much more like an amphitheatre

The XCO will be done soon, had to make changes to the length of the course to allow for faster laps for TV. All good though, found a nice little rock shelf crossing point that should prove interesting

climbo

Likes Dirt
stupid question but I can't see it on the website, can you take your bike to the event? Can you take it in to ride around to parts of the course? Is thre bike parking? Anyone found out?

Bucket Master

Yes you can ride to the event
yes there will be bike parking (take your own lock)
yes you can ride on trails not being used for races (that about 40km of track)
no you cant ride on the race courses (unless you are part of a national team that is), but yes you can ride to different areas to watch the races (just stay off the course)

Last edited:

climbo

Likes Dirt
Yes you can ride to the event
yes there will be bike parking (take your own lock)
yes you can ride on trails not being used for races (that about 40km of track)
no you cant ride on the race courses (unless you are part of a national team that is), but yes you can ride to different areas to watch the races (just stay off the course)
sweet !!!!!!

tom92

Likes Dirt
sounds like its gonna be sick

does anyone know if Graves is racing both DH and 4X???
because didnt he get 2nd at the national champs there this year!!!

Ozza

Eats Squid
:)Where can i get more info on the busses running to the mountain? Ill need to consider were i get my accomodation according to this. Any help would be much appreciated.

niftydog

Likes Dirt
Anyone know of decent campsites in Canberra area which are close to the city???
There's not really any near the city, but Stromlo isn't really that near the city either. There's a camp site at the Cotter which is close-ish to Stromlo, but I'd say you'd have to be there really early to have even a slight chance of getting a spot as it is quite small.

I would think the best bet would be Exhibition Park as there's quite a bit of space (when there's not another event on), but it's about 15min drive from Stromlo.

Try this link or this link.

Where can i get more info on the busses running to the mountain?
What do you want to know? Buses depart from most corners of the city - Civic, Woden and Belconnen. I'd imagine they will depart from the bus interchanges. More detail will apparently go up on mtbworldscanberra.com.au closer to the event.