UCI World Cup 2011 DHI 1 - Pietermaritzburg RSA

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
After what was a dissapointing year last ime dont rule out the big man Peaty. seems to be a bit of a trend to win the worlds then have a bit of an off one next season, then come back strong again.

.dan.

Likes Dirt
Will they be playing it on foxtel?
eurosport sometimes has it on but the commentors usually don't know what they're talking about and are really boring. watch it on freecaster. rob warner is way better to listen to and actually knows whats happening. i'm pretty sure that they have the same video feed, just different commentators

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
Graves

is racing DH here? if so you think hd be looking the goods on a pedally track plus coming off the win at sea otter.. no aussie lights it up on the gas like gravey

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
is racing DH here? if so you think hd be looking the goods on a pedally track plus coming off the win at sea otter.. no aussie lights it up on the gas like gravey
There's pictures of him on dirt with his DH bike so I'm assuming so.

red_dog

Likes Dirt
So Brendog was a DNF and Hart qualified last... Interesting stuff.
I'm disappointed that Connor didn't line up, I was looking forward to seeing him clean up.
Does anyone know what races he will be entering?

indica

Serial flasher
It would appear Mick could be on one this weekend!!!

Australian GT rider Mike Hannah upset the locals by finishing first in the men’s DH qualifying in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa.

But there were a couple of surprises in the rest of the Top 5, with the French duo of Julien Camellini in third and near-veteran Cedric Gracia in fourth. And then there is Barel in sixth. So three French riders in the top 6…it’s like the good old days!
http://dirt.mpora.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/38736_DHI_ME_ResultsQualifyingRound.pdf

indica

Serial flasher
Obviously I'm still the only one amped, but I am.
Greg had nothing more, Gee hates it, Sam couldn't see, Mick is feeling good!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sick Mick! I thought Greg would have been miles ahead but it seems the Aussies still have something up their belt. I an super keen for the race, it will be quite the event.

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After watching a few videos it yeah seems many riders hate the flat pedally' part, but in my own opinion I think there should be more tracks like it. It sort of splits the riders who can get by with no pedalling involved and the others that have certainly put in the hard yards and are in extremely good shape.

I am not saying the UCI DH guys, and women for that matter are unfit or strong by any means, but by throwing in a rather large pedally section, much like the one in South Africa, I think it will sort of toss up the racing, and certainly pick out racers weaknesses. Certainly will make this race interesting with what could be at the end of the season, valuable points up for grab this weekend.

That is just my opinion, many people will disagree I know, but yeah I think it makes for a more interesting race, as far as results go.

That said definitely will be backing Mick Hannah, has already proved he has the goods and hopefully come race day he will take the top step. Fingers crossed Sam has been doing a lot of XC in the off season and that he can pull something out and get on the podium. Hopefully Troy can take the top spot too.

Going to be a great season with everyone back, most certainly has been way to long-a-wait for the 2011 season.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
I didn't think a flat pedally bit would be to bad either, but after seeing a chest cam run it seems very disapointing. The first section looks rough and heaps fast, then there is an ENORMOUS flat section. It would be over a minute of flat ground. Stromlo at least only had about 30 seconds.

I think it breaks the flow of the track in a big way. But thats life for the big guys, should still be fun watching the first section.

Odissius

Likes Dirt
"I am not saying the UCI DH guys, and women for that matter are unfit or strong by any means, but by throwing in a rather large pedally section, much like the one in South Africa, I think it will sort of toss up the racing, and certainly pick out racers weaknesses. Certainly will make this race interesting with what could be at the end of the season, valuable points up for grab this weekend."

?Track is what it is but I fail to see how you can argue having a flat pedaly section is a valid way to weed out weaker riders. I would have thought flat-out rock gardens, tech steeps, balls out cornering etc does a pretty good job... Essentially what down hill racing is all about.

Last edited: