UCI World Cup 2011 DHI 1 - Pietermaritzburg RSA

sikpuppyonglory

Likes Dirt
yeah was awesome to see gwin take the win & barel to make a top five, still could have been close if sik mik didn't have a stem failure though.

sir crashallot

Likes Bikes
top 10

1 Aaron GWIN USA 24 4:08.634 200 200
2 Greg MINNAAR RSA 30 4:08.875 160 160
3 Gee ATHERTON GBR 26 4:10.555 140 140
4 Fabien BAREL FRA 31 4:12.880 125 125
5 Steve PEAT GBR 37 4:15.443 110 110
6 Steve SMITH CAN 22 4:15.568 95 95
7 Marc BEAUMONT GBR 27 4:15.871 90 90
8 Samuel HILL AUS 26 4:16.033 85 85
9 Nick BEER SUI 24 4:16.599 80 80
10 Josh BRYCELAND GBR 21 4:16.915 75 75

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just finished watching the replay, and managed to avoid finding out the results beforehand.

Gwin was awesome, I was blown away by the 6+ second lead in the split. Good to see him roughing up Gee and Minaar.

Poor Mick though :( That sucks.

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did the Yeti guys (Graves and O'Connor) have a sneaky line into the section where the speed trap was? Both were over 10kmh faster than anyone else.

Newton

Likes Dirt
was sam hill the only guy in the top ten on flats?????? i think even bryceland switched to clips
watching Sam through his run, seemed like there was a lot of time where he wasn't pedaling, maybe the flats had something to do with that, Aslo don't understand why you would not take advantage of clipless if others are using them & pedaling featured so highly on the course :confused:

macca21

Likes Dirt
watching Sam through his run, seemed like there was a lot of time where he wasn't pedaling, maybe the flats had something to do with that, Aslo don't understand why you would not take advantage of clipless if others are using them & pedaling featured so highly on the course :confused:
He just doesn't have the size and power of some of the other riders, (ie. Gee, Greg, Mik etc).
Maybe he can't ride clips as fast as flats, sure on the pedaling sections it's fine, but I wouldn't imagine his riding style on all of the other sections being very conducive to clips.... just have to weigh up the pros and cons on an individual basis.
I think at the end of the day it comes down to strength and fitness, not so much the shoes/pedals. I know on flats I can out-pedal heaps of guys riding clips, and that's simply due to power.
Sorry bout the waffling, just thought I'd throw some ideas around seeing as I'm currently going through the same decisions...

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
He just doesn't have the size and power of some of the other riders, (ie. Gee, Greg, Mik etc).
Maybe he can't ride clips as fast as flats, sure on the pedaling sections it's fine, but I wouldn't imagine his riding style on all of the other sections being very conducive to clips.... just have to weigh up the pros and cons on an individual basis.
I think at the end of the day it comes down to strength and fitness, not so much the shoes/pedals. I know on flats I can out-pedal heaps of guys riding clips, and that's simply due to power.
Sorry bout the waffling, just thought I'd throw some ideas around seeing as I'm currently going through the same decisions...
As they said during the feed, its 80% in your head. If you feel more comfortable and confident on flats you are going to go faster, whether you can pedal faster or not. I feel extremely vulnerable on flats riding 4X, but don't really like being clipped in for DH.

Amazing race to watch. Was blown away when gwin came to the second split 6 seconds up, and was also supremely impressed by Minaars ability to gain over a second in the last 40 seconds of the track.

M

markterei

mega bytes

hey does anyone know what sort of tax (in terms of MB) watching that 1 hr 20 mins event on freecaster takes?

Ivan

Eats Squid
hey does anyone know what sort of tax (in terms of MB) watching that 1 hr 20 mins event on freecaster takes?
I used about 1gb yesterday watching 1 hr of the coverage, with the quality set at "3". If you just want to see the top 15 guys, skip about 55 minutes into the freecaster replay.

Ivan

Eats Squid
We are lucky that someone was in the right place at the right time to get those shots, so we can see what happened to Mick.

I hope his season improves, he's on my fantasy team, and one of my favourite riders.