Ultegra or Dura-ace road pedals

Binaural

Eats Squid
Item: Ultegra or Dura-Ace road pedals
Price range/Willing to Pay: Ideally circa $50 but flexible for near-new or current model pedals.
Extra Info: I'm currently running Speedplay Zero pedals on my super-commuter, but am getting really tired of breaking cleat after cleat and rapid wear. Bit reluctant to spend $170 on Ultegra to find out single-sided entry is more of a nuisance in traffic than I'd thought.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Bit reluctant to spend $170 on Ultegra to find out single-sided entry is more of a nuisance in traffic than I'd thought.
I'll save you the trouble. They suck majorly. I went back to normal double sided spd and let the roadies frown at me.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I'll save you the trouble. They suck majorly. I went back to normal double sided spd and let the roadies frown at me.
Don't listen to this guy, Shimano road pedals are solid and reliable.

If you're only riding them occasionally then it takes a few goes to get into the swing of clipping in again when you've been using different pedals.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Don't listen to this guy, Shimano road pedals are solid and reliable.

If you're only riding them occasionally then it takes a few goes to get into the swing of clipping in again when you've been using different pedals.
I didn't say they aren't reliable. I just said regular spds are much better, particularly in stop start traffic.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Have to agree with Calvin; I bloody hated one-sided roady pedals on my commuter.

Trying to take off quickly in traffic with cars around felt like a lottery at times.

As with everything, I'm sure you get used to it, but I found it nerve-wracking and went back to mtb pedals.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Thanks all, appreciate the advice. I was considering reverting to basic SPDs which I've used and liked in the past, but I have size 51 feet and it is extremely depressing trying to find MTB shoes.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Yup, my ancestors came down from the trees a bit later than everyone else's. Filtering by size 51 on google and wiggle returns exactly 1 response, allowing for the fact I am not a narrow fit.. Last time I went through this it literally took me a month to track down the last pair of 51s in the country at TBSM.

scblack

Leucocholic
Shimano Ultegra pedals are what I have, they are perfectly fine for road use. One sided entry just takes a bit of practice getting in and you're fine. Occasionally they are a pain but good to go.

I had Look for years before Ultegras, and while they click in better - the cleats on Shimano last LONG LONG times better. Cleat life is good on Shimano, and the two triangly bits on the cleat make them good and stable for walking if you have to for a short distance.

Go the Ultegras I find them good.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've got a set of Look Keos in good nick. Lighter than Shimano, adjustable spring tension and with a bigger platform. The aftermarket Lifeline cleats work well and are cheap. They also last a lot longer if you use the cleat covers, again the lifeline ones are cheap.

I'm in Breakfast Point if you want to swing by one night and try them.

The key to a guaranteed clean getaway is to momentarily look down. Once the nose of the cleat is in, your set.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk