Undersprung

gooser

Likes Bikes
Hi guys, is it better to be oversprung or under sprung on your rear shock. I have a 2010 DHX 5.0 and should be riding a 450pound spring. I only have a 400 or a 550 though, so asking the question, which one should I be using?
Cheers.

chris95

Likes Dirt
I think it would be fine to run the 450 and maybe run a bit if high speed compression and turn the bottom out up until you stop bottoming out on jumps and drops ect. And maybe even preload the spring a bit if you haven't already.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Hi guys, is it better to be oversprung or under sprung on your rear shock. I have a 2010 DHX 5.0 and should be riding a 450pound spring. I only have a 400 or a 550 though, so asking the question, which one should I be using?
Cheers.
Goto tftuned.com and check the spring calculator to see which spring is closer to the correct weight. personally i err to softer side if im between springs.

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
its only a 50lb difference then its down to you, you can ride the heavier spring and have less compression dialed in and pre load therefore making the suspension use the spring more than the dampening components(my preffered way) or you can go the opposite and have the light spring and more loading of the shock.

it will make very little difference and lik said very personal choice.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im sure you can find the correct weight spring for under $50.. at the end of the day, its a small price to get the correct weight spring. :rolleyes:

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
The first rule for setting up the shock is set the sag. If the 550lb spring doesn't give you at least 30% sag (with boost valve at 150psi), then use the 400lb spring. You can run 30-35% sag on a DH bike. Don't forget you should not preload the spring (by turning the collar) any more than 2 full turns - put a paint mark on the collar so you can count the turns. If the 400lb spring gives you more than 35% sag then crank up the boost valve (max 200psi) and bottom out control as needed, then buy the spring that gives you the right sag when you can.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Im sure you can find the correct weight spring for under $50.. at the end of the day, its a small price to get the correct weight spring. :rolleyes:
Contact Dirtworks - they were selling a bucketload of springs in their yard sale for $10 each. You can afford to buy several different rates & muck around for that price!