urgent news on the outlook on the goldcoast

New news on the outlook on the gold coast,we have just been informed by the guy we have been working with at the council that we are now looking at having the down hill track demolished. This is a real kick to the head from a few months ago being told we were going to beable to use this area as a down hill track and we were going to work with the council in this matter as many other citys and states thinking this would bring us out of the dark ages and inline with many other areas with having a area to build and have for the future.
As you would appreciate the amount of work that has gone into this track for the people who know and have riden it would understand, and the amount of effort with a good 75% being that of one main builder we know who he is, the energy, time and commitment he has put in to perfecting this track to flow for all us riders to enjoy has been huge, it has been over the last 3 years.
It all seems now to be for what? Some office pen pushing council employee to take that away is almost criminal.
So now to what this blog is all about we are after as much support from fellow riders to get involved here to stand by us the builders and all downhillers alike to stand up and let these guys know that we are serious and there are more than just 10 or so riders that use this track. We are many and to lose this track will be a huge step back for any future in this sport for this area.

Keep an eye on this thread and there will be up dates as they come to hand to what we will ask and how you can support us to keep this track alive.
I'm hoping that there is the commitment out there from everybody that has enjoyed and hopefully still enjoy that has riden this track will back us in keeping this track going and for the future.

Please feel free to leave any messages of support on this site as the more the the better even from out of state people who have gone down this road.
If they see we are serious then every little bit of help, message of support will be appreciated.
To anybody out there who has had to go through the same thing any ideas, information on how to go about this is very welcome.
This is such a huge dissappointment for us boy the words that i would rather be using right now for how we feel about this would be very inappropriate to say the least.

So please stand behind us in this effort as it is for the future of mountain biking on the gold coast to grow.
Hope to see what the gold coast downhill seen has got to offer in our endevour.
Thanks for READING THIS.

Last edited:

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe get a petition started with local riders, and distribute it around to the local bike shops in your area or something.

chillywilly

Likes Dirt
Nerang Mountain Bike Center is behind it for sure, and I guaranty the Gold Coast mountain bike club will be as well.

cressa

Likes Dirt
Just heard about this turn of events. I have a few ideas on what we can do to add a bit more weight to the argument. We should catch up and nut out a plan of action together.

Viv92

Eats Squid
Make sure to get the council to take good notice of how well the trail is built. There are basically no environmental issues with erosion and run-off and all the 'shore is safe and well built.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Also mention that you have voting members....take it to the local member of parliment and apply pressure! Councils and government forkout 100's of thousands of dollars for footy, soccer and netball grounds, why should our sport be any different.
Keep up the work! I want somewhere to ride while I'm on holidays!:D

Bacca

Likes Dirt
Good luck with this guys. I hope I get a chance to ride the track with my nephew when I bring a bike up to my sisters place in Arundel.

There are a few threads around on people in a similar situation, the Oxford Falls crew for example, so help from Farkin is there!

Hay there,some good news we have been in touch with some people with some major say with in the parks and council and they have said we have a good case and they will support us in trying to keep this track open.But we are still after some support from as many people as possible. We are looking at forming an alliance so would like to see if we can sign up as many people as possible, would really like to hear your thoughts out there on forming this group.still along way to go so hope to get some more support.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Hay there,some good news we have been in touch with some people with some major say with in the parks and council and they have said we have a good case and they will support us in trying to keep this track open.But we are still after some support from as many people as possible. We are looking at forming an alliance so would like to see if we can sign up as many people as possible, would really like to hear your thoughts out there on forming this group.still along way to go so hope to get some more support.
Here's a novel idea......make your Alliance a National one so members from across Australia can join/support it. That way when you go to council, you can say you have backing from said Alliance with however many members.
I.E Australian MTB Trail Alliance or something similar. Is there something like this already?

Fat Chilli

Likes Bikes
Has any formal correspondence (emails, letters etc.) been forwarded expressing your concerns and if so the council is required then to reply via formal correspondence.

What reasons have been given for the decision and was their any formal (in writing) approval in the first place? Unless any communications are in writing then they are simply hearsay........unfortunately.

If they formally state that their reasons or concerns are environmental or safety related then PM me if you require assistance as I work in both of these disciplines and have all too regular council dealings (daily).

I don't log on to Farkin very often so if I don't reply Farkin member 'andy' knows how to contact me.

Best of luck.

cressa

Likes Dirt
Has any formal correspondence (emails, letters etc.) been forwarded expressing your concerns and if so the council is required then to reply via formal correspondence.

What reasons have been given for the decision and was their any formal (in writing) approval in the first place? Unless any communications are in writing then they are simply hearsay........unfortunately.

If they formally state that their reasons or concerns are environmental or safety related then PM me if you require assistance as I work in both of these disciplines and have all too regular council dealings (daily).

I don't log on to Farkin very often so if I don't reply Farkin member 'andy' knows how to contact me.

Best of luck.
Hey Fat Chilli,

No written correspondence yet. We are currently forming the Gold Coast Downhill Riders Alliance so all communications with the council will branded as such. I have had advice that this is a better way to approach it rather than as individuals.

I would love to call on your experience on this matter, we need all the help we can get and if you have environmental, safety and council dealing experience, you are gold!

I'll try and get in contact with you in due course. I can be contacted on 0416 100 720 (by anyone who can offer help) if you'd like to call.

Shane

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi guys. New to Farkin after lurking.

Saw this thread and had a chat about it with Peter from GC MTB Club. Some of you would be aware that the Gold Coast is becoming a rare entity by having zero authorised MTB trails within the council area. It seems some of the council managers are not too keen on us, but not all as there have been constructive negotiations involving th NPWS, GCCC and the MTB club.

My thoughts (bear with this as they are a little obscure I guess) included the following:

There is a lot of money available through state (Qld Physical Activity Project) and federal sources for appropriate public physical activity projects. Council would be happier knowing there was money to be accessed for the building and refinement of trails as they can be seen to be doing the right thing at a political level. MTB has low environmental impact (less than bush walking in some studies) and should be attractive to council.

Linking the support for the Nerang National Park trails to support of the Outlook system.

Checking the NSW north coast council alliances with the National Parks and Wildlife Service. There has been agreement made to allow "exisitng use" access to parks land. They have realised that more people entering the park land actually prevents damage rather than causing it. People become custodians by proxy. MTB and walking and possibly horse ridng have been OK'd in a number of coastal NSW parks through this process. I realise this is not 100% relevent to the Outlook, but in a combined approach to the Gold Coast area trails it could be helpful.

Recently the lord mayor's concept of a series of locations offering free (for first 30min) bikes along the beach front hit a wall with the beurocrats questioning safety, helmet supply, maintenance of bikes and hygeine issues. As this project encourages riding in general and green transport, we should be supporting it too. I don't see the concerns as a big problem. I am sure there are lessons to be learned from (for example) the local Go Cart hire businesses. They use hair nets and basic piss-pot helmets and have staff to fit them. We could, as a group, try to get on the good side of council by offering club members (including the roadies) as volunteers to get the coastal strip free bike "hire" system up and running by helping to fit helmets and bikes to the public while teaching council staff about the process. End result: more people riding, new jobs on the coast (to the credit of council) and constructive association between us riders and the council.

The Outlook trails are really cool. Most of the features are at the limit or beyond my skills, but they must be saved.

Fat Chilli

Likes Bikes
I'll try and get in contact with you in due course. I can be contacted on 0416 100 720 (by anyone who can offer help) if you'd like to call.
Cressa - have PM'd you my contact details and a whole load of other dribble about several considerations.

Cheers

FC.