US$399 Carbon rig

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Looks like a Chinese Carbon frame with cheaper components, which he's then upgraded to mid-level spec.

No issue really! I've had a Chiner HT for many years now, running rigid. It's a super commuter with skinnies on it, and actually a pretty damn capable bike when the knobblies go on. Super fun, super direct.

My only complaint would be it's a bit too stiff. They cloned a Scott Scale, but without any of the inbuilt damping. But for $400 AUD landed at the time for Frame and Fork, I've got no complaints!

Go

Likes Dirt
I wonder where this type of bikes will be in say, 5 years?

Walmart is the biggest player in retail in the USA. Will carbon become the norm for everyday rides? Is the possibility of picking up a proper mountain bike as we know it off the super market shelf getting closer?

Time will tell I guess

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
The point being what exactly ?
Do we need to encourage the cheap supermarket model?
Carbon is complicated to repair and currently goes to landfill.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
How many aluminium bikes have been recycled? Ever?
You haven't been to a tip lately have you? Any bike that turns up either gets recycled for charity or goes into bulk metal scrap.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Go

Likes Dirt
The point being what exactly ?
Do we need to encourage the cheap supermarket model?
Carbon is complicated to repair and currently goes to landfill.
We're already encouraging that. Just not with bikes and we're all guilty no matter how many keep cups we try to use. But that'd a whole other conversation.

I would personally would like a less expensive product.
Wanting to pay less doesn't mean I don't care about whether the frames end up in recycling or the bottom of the ocean.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Not trying to have a go at you Go but the reasons Chinese stuff is cheap are all bad.
eg poor quality control, labour exploitation, no worker safety ,no intellectual property rights ,soil, air + water pollution, carbon offcuts in the sea or landfill.
Recent article by Pole frames will tell you they decided not to go to China.

Go

Likes Dirt
No offense taken, this is a place for discussion and you do have some valid points I agree with.
I guess I was just looking at it from the possibilty of reduced price for the consumer and reaching a wider audience.
I suppose having both better prices with good quality and environmentaly sound products is a bit of a dream with current practices.

scblack

Leucocholic
Not trying to have a go at you Go but the reasons Chinese stuff is cheap are all bad.
eg poor quality control, labour exploitation, no worker safety ,no intellectual property rights ,soil, air + water pollution, carbon offcuts in the sea or landfill.
Recent article by Pole frames will tell you they decided not to go to China.
Quality from China can easily match elsewhere. Can - depends on many factors though. If you buy cheap shit from China, its the same as cheap shit from anywhere.

Air pollution in Shanghai is appalling.

The rest I have little real knowledge of.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
of course the quality of some Chinese stuff is fine but they build to a price.
Icebreaker merino underwear is fine, proper Makita tools seem good etc