[US]The Woods Belong To Us: A Documentary

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Website

?Everybody has a hobby.? Traditionally thought of as an extreme sport for adrenaline junkies, mountain biking is a bourgeoning outdoor culture that is now enjoyed by people of all ages. The culture directly impacts people?s lives, their communities, and the environment on a grand scale. However, mountain biking is not the only outdoor hobby utilizing the forests. What if mountain bikers are destroying the very environment their lifestyle depends on? What would be of Hood River, OR, a community that depends on outdoor enthusiasts every year, without mountain biking?

?The Woods Belong To Us? examines two conflicting lifestyles: mountain biking and environmentalism, and the outcome when they collide. The conflict has been going on for over twenty years, but there seems to be no end in sight. Will there be a time when they can all peacefully co-exist?

Mountain bikers, dirt bikers, horseback riders, cross country skiers, hikers, and environmentalists like Michael J Vandeman ? there?s only so much land to share between them all. For these enthusiasts, it is far more than a hobby. Their love for the sport and environment spreads to the communities where trails are frequented. One of the major mountain biking destinations is Hood River, Oregon. A monthly committee is held to determine which activities will be allowed in the forests: where trails are built, who is in charge of maintaining trails, and when loggers will be cutting down sections of the forest. The mountain bikers are never alone at these meetings, and many of the other attendees will defend their beliefs under any means necessary ? including sabotage, the promise of violence, and theft. In other communities, things aren?t quite so progressive.

Douglas Johnson, founder of the Gorge Free Ride Association, fights from the forests. He?s proudly part of a subculture known as ?free riders? ? mountain bikers who build and ride extensive, elaborate, and potentially dangerous trails that snake through dense forests all over the world. All of the trails built by Douglas are born from his own time, money, tools, sweat, and blood. People travel the world to ride his trails, yet his creations are constantly under the threat of vandals, opposition from the local government, disrespectful local citizens, and the inevitable day when the last tree in his sanctuary is claimed by the insatiable loggers.

Vandeman fights from lecture halls, classrooms, and online message boards. His life-long goal is to create an environment where humans are not welcome or allowed. To him, mountain bikers are the largest obstacle standing in the way of his vision.

In ?The Woods Belong To Us?, Vandeman will bring the battle into the woods.
Trailer

This sounds very interesting. I remember Mike V back from when I subscribed to some old mtb mailing list or something and he always came across as a real nutter. It wasn't until he was recently charged with assault (or similiar) against a mountainbiker while out on a trail that I finally saw a picture of him and now I find out he is bringing the balance to this documentary!

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
This sounds very interesting. I remember Mike V back from when I subscribed to some old mtb mailing list or something and he always came across as a real nutter. It wasn't until he was recently charged with assault (or similiar) against a mountainbiker while out on a trail that I finally saw a picture of him and now I find out he is bringing the balance to this documentary!
Mike V is a nutter
Assault with a Deadly Weapon (Suspect Arrested)
UCPD crime report # 10-02127

East-West Fire Trail June 1, 2010

On Friday, May 28, 2010 UCPD received a report of an assault with a deadly weapon which had occurred around 6 weeks earlier. The assault occurred on a Sunday on the East-West Fire Trail located in the hills above campus. The victims, two non-affiliated White males, reported the crime after hearing of similar incidents occurring to bicyclists on the fire trail. The victims were riding their bicycles westbound on the trail when they encountered the suspect walking in the opposite direction. The suspect was holding a handsaw and cut one of the victims across the chest with the saw. The victims asked the suspect why he had attacked them. He told them they should not be riding their bicycles on the trail. The victims positively identified the suspect from a photograph. UCPD contacted the suspect who admitted to holding a saw in front of some bicyclists on a trail and contacting one of them with the saw. The suspect was subsequently taken into custody. One of the victims suffered minor injuries during the assault. Additional charges may be filed from similar incidences on the fire trail including one reported in a crime alert on May 6, 2010.

The suspect is described as:

VANDEMAN, Michael J., a White non-affiliated male, 67 years of age.
A quack with no environmental science back ground. Giving him this attention is like giving lollies to a tantruming 2yo

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mike V is a nutter

A quack with no environmental science back ground. Giving him this attention is like giving lollies to a tantruming 2yo
I agree. That's why I think it'll be interesting. I'm not quite sure which way it'll go from what is shown in the trailer.

I-Wonder

Cannon Fodder
I know how you feel about the trailer. I was put off when they laid a voice track about destroying the land over a clip of my 24" trail machine. (My entire purpose with this machine is about building sustainable trails and repairing or relocating (hydrologically poorly performing trails, etc.). I can say that - after spending a whole day with the filmmakers – I think they bring a pro mixed use and pro- bike philosophy to work with them every day. I don’t think it’ll be a MTB hit piece.....no guarantees. They want to fill the seats with a film about conflict and the trailer will certainly do some of that work, but I recommend waiting to pass judgment. If it is a balanced portrayal of the conflict we'll come off as the reasonable, solutions-based actors. If that’s the case, the more non-mtb folks in the seats the better, especially if Mike V gets screen time as a representative of the anti-access crowd. As for our side, along with the responsible people they interviewed, I know they did interview some rogue builders with an attitude (and little vision) but they’re not homicidal lunatics, like Mike.

Hope my prediction’s not proven wrong….