Usage Counters - Trail monitoring

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Hello

Hoping there maybe some people on here from Council or Parks or Road authorities, Survey companies, other Trail advocates with experience or possibly Unis that know of an automated or stand alone* usage rate monitor or counter.

Looking for a way to monitor trail usage rates for bicycles (MTB). I was thinking something like the rubber lines used to count traffic, but sensitive enough to pickup bike riders (lower weight and speed)

If you could provide me with links, brand names, service providers or someone I can speak to with the view of providing an options paper to council for subsequent RFI/RFP and assessment I would appreciate your help.

What is this for ?
Monitoring trail usage rates can be used to access more funding, justify increase in facilities, maybe even pin point the demand for any given level of trail difficulty (eg, if we have two devices, one at the start, one on an advanced feature - with easier alternatives ... we could ID level of usage of the more difficult line versus the easier lines). I hope it will show growth rate pre and post legitimisation of trail networks as with Menai ... ie "If you build it, They will come" justification.

Appreciate your help

[*] trying to avoid an individual that will stand by the trail side with a clip board ... as it will likely be me

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
Nerf, I have no direct experience with trail counters. But I have seen up at Kinglake, VIC on teh Sheperds Track. Not suure if it was a Parks VIC one or a You Yangs MTB Club one. Also I have heard that the Wombat MTB Club has used trail counters (photo ones though) on teh Wombat Track some years ago to analyse trail numbers/usage. Maybe touch base with them to get some info. Hope it helps.

will2

Likes Dirt
You could use the automated cameras they have now, turn on via motion activation and film for a certain period of time or take stills, night vision is pretty much a norm on them as they are designed on monitoring animals and are weather proof. Security would be an issue and also using a fair few AA batteries, which i don't know how long would last. other wise fairly inexpensive option.

ChopSticks

Banned
Al,

I know they had counters at Hornsby (OMV) monitoring trail usage (esp in wet weather) when it first opened... Not sure about now?

Worth hitting up whitey89, snorc? Or the Hornsby council? Maybe even Simon at DirtArt who are responsible for the second stage build?

Worst case... Angle grinder/bolt cutter the next counter you see bolted near your local road... You pay car rego, I'm sure Roads and Maritime won't care... Much