Use of tents in NSW

wsmtbdhvp

NSWMTB, Western Sydney MTB
In a brilliant piece of legislation those at events with the general public present now have to have an Engineers Certificate to erect a tent. Sydney Olympic park has said under the new NSW legislation they will exempt a 3m x 3m but you need a certificate for a 6m x 3m each time it is put up.

Apparently this is because some of the general public have made claims on insurance companies after being injured by flying tents.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On a more serious note: HOW FARKIN STUPID ARE THESE TOSSERS WHO MAKE THESE RULES. GOD FARKINING DAMN.:eek:

I feel better now.

Cheers,
CBG

Dicky

Punter God
We need some legislation requiring the 'general public' to engage their brains before their mouths.

One of them read out my name badge and asked "do you work here?" today.

If anyone's interested, I will be issuing authentic certificates shortly, authorised in small print by the Department of Common Fucking Sense.

Last edited:

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Steve, I deal with SEPP (Temporary Structures and Places of Public Entertainment) 2007, pretty much every day at work.

Never looked at it in the context of a quick shade being a temporary structure before. I'll have a better look this weekend about the SEPP and how it interacts with the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979, but something doesn't sit right here to me.

Can you email me any other advice you have been given and I will let you know my thoughts, but I think there may be ways around this.

Looking quickly I think SOPA has its own requirements above and beyond the SEPP and EP&A Act, so this requirement may well only apply to events at Homebush and nowhere else. My reasoning for this, on first look (bearing in mind I have a few beers under the belt) is that under most Councils would consider a marquee or tent to be exempt development (again I will clarify this) and as such under Clause 11(2) would mean the SEPP doesn't apply. Again I am guessing SOPA have set the bar pretty high, but the vast majority of Council's won't care.

Again I will have a better look and let you know what I think.

Last edited:

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
We need some legislation requiring the 'general public' to engage their brains before their mouths.

One of them read out my name badge and asked "do you work here?" today.
Maybe they were referring to "effort" as opposed to "employment" :p

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Bwahahaha! Good one guys, it is good to see you encouraging more people to spend their time and money at uni so they can "undumb" themselves and exist in a safe society.
What a fucking crock of garbage. If someone pencil pusher rented a car and drove up the hill on a race weekend and told me to show my engineer's certificate because I have erected a tent I would lock him in the boot and drop the handbrake.
The whole world is soon to be controlled by mindless (money hungry!) freaks. I hope the prisons are comfortable because soon enough normal people and people with common sense will start handling situations like these with extreme violence.

Bite me engineer boy.........

bigcohuna

Cannon Fodder
Knock em down and I'll even throw i a shovel so we can hide 'em - probably i nthe foundations of our super engineered tough tent

Fuck me

bigcohuna

Cannon Fodder
Steve, I deal with SEPP (Temporary Structures and Places of Public Entertainment) 2007, pretty much every day at work.

Never looked at it in the context of a quick shade being a temporary structure before. I'll have a better look this weekend about the SEPP and how it interacts with the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979, but something doesn't sit right here to me.

Can you email me any other advice you have been given and I will let you know my thoughts, but I think there may be ways around this.

Looking quickly I think SOPA has its own requirements above and beyond the SEPP and EP&A Act, so this requirement may well only apply to events at Homebush and nowhere else. My reasoning for this, on first look (bearing in mind I have a few beers under the belt) is that under most Councils would consider a marquee or tent to be exempt development (again I will clarify this) and as such under Clause 11(2) would mean the SEPP doesn't apply. Again I am guessing SOPA have set the bar pretty high, but the vast majority of Council's won't care.

Again I will have a better look and let you know what I think.
You've probably hit the nail right on the head. the way the documents read and the spirit in which they have been put together clearly indicate that they are referring to professionally installed marquees etc for special events, certainly you'd wan't to secure a quickshade (saw one blow across a track in middle of a motorbike race last week - bikes went everywhere - Ha)

SOP and probably any other official officer will most likely use this as a pretext to say 'no it needs this & that etc" but joe public erecting his own private use quickshade shouldn't have a problem - unless folks ,like SOP, make their own rules as we have here.

More clarity needed from SOP & other venue managers.

good luck

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
If this gets widfespread approval it will only result in tent suppliers getting engineering certificates for the tents they sell, at increased expense to the tent buyer/user, but little or no change in the placement or structure of actual tents at events.

And the concept of not placing smaller units together is ridiculous, surely a row of tents taking up less space limits the opportuntiy for idiots to harm themselves.