USE S.U.B. forks, Wierd?

bradleyR513

Likes Dirt
i found these on CRC

And this is the description given
This anti Dive suspension fork solves the problem of front suspension dive when braking hard. This fork keeps the bike more stable, and increases usable suspension travel.

what do you all think?

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Any more information about how it works? Weight will always be distributed to the front in a big way under heavy braking so I can't really think of a way that would reduce the effect... Perhaps it really does work though?

takai

Eats Squid
It just moves the effective pivot point of the front suspension further forward, which doesnt solve the "problem" of diving under brakes, it just reduces it a bit.

Not overly revolutionary, but not a bad system at all. Wouldnt be overly suitable for big hits though.

Dicky

Punter God
Been around for a few years now. I've always wanted to ride one, just to see how it behaves.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My take on it : Assuming the caliper mounts to the arm , if the fork tries to dive it has to push the caliper against the direction of rotation of the disc. Sounds like it would also lock out the fork to some degree under braking. Looks very flexy too.

?

I'll stick with low speed damping thanks.

S.

ex offender
Those things don't work by altering your weight shift forwards, they work by using the torque from the brake caliper/axle couple to extend the suspension. If this torque is calculated right, it can provide an equal and opposite force to the forwards weight shift, so you still get the same vertical force at the tyre, but no suspension dive. In theory, it's a great system and I've considered making something similar for my own bike. In reality, well there's gotta be some reason they're not used (especially on motorbikes where they've been tried time and time again for decades) - weight, complexity, and suspension harshness would be the obvious guesses.

takai

Eats Squid
The reasons i have heard from a few suspension gurus who are involved in both MX and circuit stuff mainly revolves around the rider, and that it makes going OTB even more likely under hard braking as you dont have suspension taking up the dive, which transfers all forward momentum into the rider.

Would make more of a difference on MX though as you cant get your COG back very much at all, especially compared to a MTB.

wombat

Lives in a hole
The old man's Cotton road racer (circa 1960) has a leading linkage fork on it. He always seemed to like the way it rode in comparison to the other setups of the era, but that was many eons ago.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I thought leading edge forks refered to the Noleen ones placed on the likes of ProFlex etc?

wombat

Lives in a hole
Here's what I've always heard referred to as "leading link" forks:

Makes sense to me given that the linkage carrying the hub is in front of the fork leg.